TC Electronics G-major

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lynchfan6
    You get out of it what you put into it. TC Electronic is famous for their delays and reverb, and I personally had to mod the heck out of the presets to make them to my liking. But if you are willing to put in the time, there are some great sounds to be had.
    I think I invested plenty of time in mine... I just didn't care for the fx. A lot of people like them, but in my opinion good pedals (vintage MXR flanger and chorus) have a depth of sound that the TC lacks.

It's a feature laden unit, but I think they certainly milk TC's history for all it's worth. I know it's heresy to some, but I prefer the sounds on my Boss GT8 - and it does a lot more than the TC unit.

Different strokes for different folks.

Pete

Comment

I had a GMajor and didn't like it too much either. I could never get a good delay sound out of it, and when it was on, the volume dropped too much. I'm sure it was a setup issue on my part, but the controls were terrible in that they didn't really work... a small turn of the main parameter wheel would cause the settings to jump ahead 5 increments... or maybe 10. Eventually I sold it.

I just ordered a Rocktron Xpression and Midi Mate. Hopefully I'll have better luck with that... I read alot of positive reviews.

Comment

I investigated and arrived at an older unit. The G-Force. I simply looked no further. I perform regularly with it (and never without). I use the Behringer FCB0101 to tell that bitch what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps
          I think I invested plenty of time in mine... I just didn't care for the fx. A lot of people like them, but in my opinion good pedals (vintage MXR flanger and chorus) have a depth of sound that the TC lacks.

It's a feature laden unit, but I think they certainly milk TC's history for all it's worth. I know it's heresy to some, but I prefer the sounds on my Boss GT8 - and it does a lot more than the TC unit.

Different strokes for different folks.

Pete
          The features that make me dig my G-Major are:
          Tuner
          ability to change channels on my amps
          its got a nice noise gate
          the effects can spill over
          compressor, pitch and some of the modulation effects are reall good.
          I too think the reverbs, delays, chorus and flangers are just average. Good... but not that good.

Comment

Well, I guess I just use a little delay for solos and some chorus for the clean. I don't get into effects much, and even then, I'm running this unit slave out of a Soldano SLO100 and into a separate power amp for the effects portion of my tone. For my main sounds, I basically mute the G major all together,,,,and just hear the SLO dry into half of my cab. So , with my Soldano,,,I don't desire much icing on the cake, so to speak. But the little effects I do use sound great to me. And, I love how this unit will change channels on my amp head.

Comment

I used to use a similar unit, the Lexicon MPX-G2 with the R1 foot controller, along with my TSL100. Took me a while to figure out how to set up the R1 to control the amp's channels during patch changes, but it's a great rig. The MPX-G2 can be set up to run into the amp input and through the loop, which is very advantageous. It's a great-sounding box, can't beat Lexicon 'verb. The learning curve is a bit steep, but once you get it down, it's a breeze to use. I highly recommend it.

After looking at Musician's Friend, it seems they have since turned the MPX-1:

Get the guaranteed best price on Multi-Effects Processors like the Lexicon MPX-1 Stereo Processor at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.

~Annah

Comment

Working...
              X