Many Distortion Pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many Distortion Pedals

How many is too many??? What I mean is, I want to construct my first pedal board in years!!! I was thinking that I have a few pretty good distortion pedals I would like to use on it at the same time. Namely: a Boss Metal Zone, a Digitech Grunge, a Digitech Black 13 and a Line 6 uber Metal. Does anyone think that is overkill???? Oh yeah I also wanted to put on my MXR Zakk Overdrive too. I don't really use many other pedals just a Flanger, Chorus and Phase. I use the delays and reverbs on my amp which I am happy with. Does anyone think I am putting on too many distortion pedals???? Obviously each pedal would be set different so I can get at least 4 different distortions (80's style metal, classic rock, scooped death!...etc) with the touch of the pedals.

Thanks in advance!
    Guitars:
    Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
    1988 Model 2,
    Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
    RR3
    Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
    1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
    2005 SG Special

nope its not too much if you ask me. I run 2 distortions and 3 overdrives.

Comment

I used to split the signal from a BOSS SuperOverDrive into an Applause SuperDistortion and an MXR Distortion+ using a 1/4" Y adapter. Each chain then had 2 different FX pedals - one had a BOSS Phaser and the other had a RockTek Flanger - then into an Arion Delay pedal and then split that out (stereo outs) to two Baby Gorillas.

To be honest, it was the best thing I've ever heard
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Usually, I lose articulation when I do that.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys.....Yeah, Seems like it will work for me! You can never have enough distortion pedals right?
          Guitars:
          Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
          1988 Model 2,
          Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
          RR3
          Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
          1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
          2005 SG Special

Comment

the line 6 distortion modeler pedal is kickass. you can find those for about $100 used these days.
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

p.s. I reread the post. It's cool to have multiple distortions, I've got 2 distortion pedals actually (H&K Warp, Line 6 Uber Metal). I was thinking using several at the same time. Definitely, using them individually is cool, I just can't use them both at the same time or it sounds like junk normally.

Comment

I'm an anti pedal guy these days..I used to love them when I had to slam the front of a old Marshalls and the like..

With These high gained metal machines today it is completely uneccessary IMO..

My faves were always the standards..SD-1, OD-1, OD2 turbo,DS-1, TS-9,..Metal Zones were a bit harsh, but my very fave is the discontinued Korh Hyper Distortion..those sounded best to my ears..very warm with a great crunchy edge..

But slamming the front of a 5150, Uber, Fireball, and ect seems overkill..I think

I could see it being very useful for some VHTs or Soldano SLOs, except the Avenger, from I hear from Pete..because those alwas sounded like great versions of chunkier marshalls to me..and a stomp for those will take you from VH/Scorpions to Death Country just like that..

I had my shaer of various pedals, that's for sure..like those I mentioned..but these days I want it ALL amp..much less processed, leaving the amp as pure and organic as possible..

A Korg Hyper distortion or whatever would prolly kill thru my clean channel of the Uber..I may try that since I don't use the clean channel..so why not have two channels I could uses I guess..

The have this new one called the Landmine that is supoosed to really kill, I heard nothing but good thing about The Landmine..and it looks cool too..

I would be interested in the line Uber..since I played a Line 6 HD147 and must admit it did feel like home to me in the store..it definitely has that vibe..

But a 5150 to me can be a poor man's Uberchall, I can get it to be somewhat close..to where you can nail the same kind of music with both amps..but that rquires a BBE 422 in the loop for me..to keep it on a more even playing field, because the Uber has so much bottom end..more than a 5150..

But I really know how to milk a 5150, no need for "mods" with those..I invested lots of time and experiments with my stock ones to deliver the goods for years..

No amps sound like each other, Marshalls sound like Marshalls..they are not even consistant..to me all amps have their own unique voice..my 5150 were all consistant, block letter, script, 6505s, all the same..I did have ONE sweet one I sold to John..that one just had unknown Mo Jo to it for no apparent reason..they were all stock with the same tubes..that one just sounded smoother and warmer to me..it was the first one I bought in '90

BTW..anyone try one of those Landmine's yet..just curious..

anyone else agree about the Korg Hyper Distortion for metal..Those are great!!
                Last edited by horns666; 09-18-2006, 10:53 AM.
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
                  BTW..anyone try one of those Landmine's yet..just curious..
                  Haven't tried it, but I read great reviews about it in the Guitar Player and GW mags. Here's the Landmine Pedal website.
                  http://www.landminepedals.com/
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I bought one of the Korg Hyper distortions (I believe on one of your earlier recommendations of it, horns666, if you're the person I'm thinking of). It's pretty good. Nice thick distortion. Not much bass, but an eq will fix that. It also makes a great direct box, incidentally. I think I like the uber metal better though generally.

Comment

If you are a distortion pedal fan and haven't tried a Zoom 5000, then give one a whirl. I love those pedals. Actually have 3 of them.

Comment

Working...
                      X