Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Such a thing as "too loud"? I think so (please read)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Such a thing as "too loud"? I think so (please read)

OK..have you ever experienced a amp that is so insanely loud, it's almost unuseable??

I recently got NOS Randall RP2/200 solid state 200 watt poweramp and it is just INSANELY loud!!

I think, essentially, it is the power section of the Warhead amps Dimebag designed with Randall.

I have it in my rack, and for 1, it's a 3-space unit....and it's solid state, so you can't use a Hotplate or similar to tame it.

I hate it!! Too loud!!

It would be perfect for a monitor amp, bass player perhaps, keyboard player maybe, or a MIDI synth guitar etc. where you need tons of clean, useable headroom...but for a guitar-rack..it's just nuts.

Anybody else feel the same??

You can use a hot plate with a solid state, it just does not benafit it because you do not need to crank a solid state to get better tone, actually gets worse as it gets louder.

With a power amp like that, you can go from super quiet to super loud, so i am not sure why it is such a problem, just gives you enough headroom to go as loud as you may need. However the 3 space rack is a turnoff for me.

Originally posted by LesPaulCustom
    OK..have you ever experienced a amp that is so insanely loud, it's almost unuseable??

I recently got NOS Randall RP2/200 solid state 200 watt poweramp and it is just INSANELY loud!!

I think, essentially, it is the power section of the Warhead amps Dimebag designed with Randall.

I have it in my rack, and for 1, it's a 3-space unit....and it's solid state, so you can't use a Hotplate or similar to tame it.

I hate it!! Too loud!!

It would be perfect for a monitor amp, bass player perhaps, keyboard player maybe, or a MIDI synth guitar etc. where you need tons of clean, useable headroom...but for a guitar-rack..it's just nuts.

Anybody else feel the same??

Comment

So it's so loud you went blind or what?

And you might consider having a Master Volume put on it to tame it.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

My 1971 Traynor YBA-1 Bass Master,...Ridiculesly Loud!!
        My 1970 Traynor YBA-1A Bass Master II,...Stupid Loud!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc
          So it's so loud you went blind or what?

Comment

sell it to someone who has a MP1.

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy
              sell it to someone who has a MP1.
              Actually I'm in the process of buying an MP1 from him myself!
              *ahem*
              Last edited by Guitardude86; 09-21-2006, 01:36 PM.
              "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

My buddy is running a MP1 through a 90's 3 rack space, 200 watt Randall power amp and its sounds pretty sweet actually. I was very surpised at the tone that came out of that combo.

Comment

this is the poweramp.

Comment

Huh..WHAT?
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Never heard of such a problem with a SS head. I have heard I cant get my SS head to cut through.... The tone should be the same lower so just dont turn the volume all the way up. Problem solved.

Comment

Dude... Seriously....

-Nate
                        Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

If it's too loud, you're too old!

Comment

I have used plenty of amps that were too loud. I had a marshall 9905 dual 50 that at 1/2 power couldn't even turn it up all the way without drowning out everyone. Before that I used a rack PA amp with 150 watts a side that was just insane. I now have a mesa 20/20 and at full band practice and stage volume I have power in reserve.

Matt

Comment

you know this thing has volumes knobs, don't you?

I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                              X