Still In the Hunt for Reverb/Delay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still In the Hunt for Reverb/Delay

OK I think I have narrowed some options down and I wanted to get some opinions from guys who may have this gear.

All I use is Reverb and Delay. I don't need anything else. But I want high quality and transparent sound.

Now I have heard it said guitar speakers can't take advantage of units that are of studio quality because they can't reproduce the sound that the high end units are capable of live.

So is the TC M3000 to high end - would I be better going with a TC M2000?

The other option I was thinking would be an Eventide Eclipse but that would probably be overdoing it and I would never use the harmonizers, pitch shifters, and all that other stuff on it.

I have steered away from Lexicon because from what I have read from studio guys who use both brands - Lexicon seems to be better for vocals and the TC seems to be better for instruments. And the TC stuff they say is more transparent.

So I am looking for the highest reasonable quality at a reasonable expense. Not looking for any MPX1 or G2 or Intelliflex, G-major etc....

Right now I am leaning towards TC M2000 or M3000 because of sound quality, price and rack space. I would get the 3000 if I could hear the diff between the 2 units.
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

i'd look to EH for their holy grail reverb. and line 6 for one of their delays like echo park or the dm4 or whatever.

why bother with a rack unit?

many amps have reverb built in - just add a delay pedal with tempo tap and your all set.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

My amp does not have built in reverb. I need a rack unit because I need line level effects for the loop. I have a parallel loop with no adjustment controls.
      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I have an EH Holy Grail for sale. It's the best reverb pedal I've used.

If you are looking at rack stuff you should seriously consider the Boss VF-1 or SE-70 - those are half space, sound great, simple to use, and versatile as hell should you decide you want more. Oh, and they are very reasonably priced these days on Ebay.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
          I have an EH Holy Grail for sale. It's the best reverb pedal I've used.
          Have a RV-3 pedal. Looking for a rack unit.
          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

If you are looking at rack stuff you should seriously consider the Boss VF-1 or SE-70 - those are half space, sound great, simple to use, and versatile as hell should you decide you want more. Oh, and they are very reasonably priced these days on Ebay.
            I prefer a higher quality reverb than either of the above that is why I am currently leaning in the TC direction - TC seems to be looking like a good balance of price and quality and sound.

Still have not absolutely ruled out Lexicon yet but I wanted to get some feedback on some of these units from the guys here who have used them.
            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Higher quality reverb? Have you tried those?

The Roland SRV-3030 is a fantastic unit as well. BTW, I have an Eclipse and an SRV-3030 - the Roland holds it's own for reverb.

- Newc

Comment

Higher quality reverb? Have you tried those?

The Roland SRV-3030 is a fantastic unit as well. BTW, I have an Eclipse and an SRV-3030 - the Roland holds it's own for reverb.
                I will check it out on the net. Currently researching stuff on HugeRacks and the Harmony-Central reviews. Does it have a decent delay?
                PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I'd get an older reverb unit like Tim's suggesting. You really don't need a super-hi fidelity setup with a guitar - even not worrying about the speakers frequency response, a guitar is a very midrange voiced instrument. I liked the holy grail tonewise versus my G-Major.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                    I'd get an older reverb unit like Tim's suggesting. You really don't need a super-hi fidelity setup with a guitar - even not worrying about the speakers frequency response, a guitar is a very midrange voiced instrument. I liked the holy grail tonewise versus my G-Major.

Pete
                    All right now you have me thinking about just sticking with my Ibanez SDR1000+ instead of spending money on a fancier unit.
                    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I tend to agree that you are probably wasting money on one of those high end units. You're paying a price for "studio" quality sound over a large frequency range, when your guitar isn't even going to touch most of those ranges. I have a Digitech Studio Twin in my rack, and I love the sound. It's just as clean, transparent, and versatile as I could ever ask for in a delay/verb, and I think I paid 50 bucks for it on ebay.
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I have the Lexicon MPX550 which was used about 2-3 times. It has great effects. I really like the sound but I'm not into the rack equipment anymore. I just want to step on the pedal and go. I also have a couple RV-3's which I use all the time.

I tried the TC stuff. My opinion is the Lexicon equipment is equal or better than TC but Lexicon is a lot more user friendly.
                        "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                        I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

while the guitar doesn't have the frequency range requirements of a typical high-end reverb/delay, you still want the sound quality. iow, the tone preservation. a lot of low end units - particularly reverbs - completely crush your tone.

all of the units i've mentioned have been plenty acceptable for my purposes. the eventide eclipse is head and shoulders above anything else i've used but it cost a lot of money. the discontinued roland srv stuff is excellent.

also - look for a yamaha spx90 - those are excellent and very reasonable these days.

- Newc

Comment

Start with something cheap, you might find that an older unit will suit your needs just fine. I had some other more expensive multi-effects units but alway end up useing an old non midi Vesta Fire digital reverb and an old Boss DM-200 digital delay. Both units cost me about $100.and work great in amp loops or with rack pre amps.

Comment

Try to find an old Rocktron Intellifex, preferably the early ones with the black fronts and blue and pink writing. The reverbs and delays in those are great.

Comment

Working...
                              X