Mesa V twin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa V twin

Stumbled across this the other day. It appears to be like a recto preamp in stombox form? I did some basic research on google and it seems like some people think that it does not have enough gain.

So the question is, who uses/used one and in what way?
    www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

from what I've heard they suck, and you're better off buying a mesa NOT the mesa name on a box.

Basic stuff like a lag in the pedal engaging is enough to put any off.

Instead I'd recomend the demonizer from damage contol ( i think thats what its called) - glowing tubes but its not all gimmick, but actually a quality piece of kit with a good price in the US.

Comment

Anybody actually have one of these out there. I'm looking for a close mesa rectifier sound from my amp. A pedal is the only answer right now. any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by cheftisi View Post
        Anybody actually have one of these out there. I'm looking for a close mesa rectifier sound from my amp. A pedal is the only answer right now. any ideas?
        I don't have a V Twin, but I do now have a pedal that sounds like a Recto in a box... the AMT Extreme III. Awesome pedal. Check out another forum member's review here. http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...hlight=extreme

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've got a mk2 V-twin and its good. The consensus is that it won't do the Recto thing really. It doesn't have enough gain that's usable. It gets very noisy at those levels.

I think it is supposed to be used with Fender amps or older non MV Marshalls to give more of a Mark series tone.

I use mine at rehearsal rooms that have backline provided. Its good for plugging into the clean channel of almost anything, and getting a usable sound. Its also very good when used as a preamp plugged into a computer.

I don't think it will do what you want it to though.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            I don't have a V Twin, but I do now have a pedal that sounds like a Recto in a box... the AMT Extreme III. Awesome pedal. Check out another forum member's review here. http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...hlight=extreme

http://www.amtelectronics.com/produc.../products.html
            how does it sound through a clean channel of a tube head? any comprable sounds on any recordings?
            "Better to Die Quickly Fighting on Your Feet
            Than to Live Forever Begging on You Knees."-LoG

R.I.P.
            Dimebag Darrell
            Chuck Schuldiner
            Cliff Burton

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post

http://www.amtelectronics.com/produc.../products.html
              Yep, its the best Recto in a box I ever heard. Its a totally awesome pedal that could literally make any amp sound like a Rectifier.

Comment

Originally posted by TrendkillDBD View Post
                how does it sound through a clean channel of a tube head? any comprable sounds on any recordings?
                It sounds amazing though a clean channel. It also sounds amazing plugged directly into a mixing board.

Comment

is it really heavy? like chest thumping with palm mutes and serious grind? hows the clarity with some speed? artificial and natural harmonics?

sorry... I'm kinda of a distortionfreak.

I'm been trying to choose between the Extreme III and the Rocktron ZOmbie, and the Zombie costs a lot less, but if the AMT is that much better, I'll have to go for it!

EDIT: I'm listening to the clips, but I think I want something a little heavier...
                  Anyone ever try the Metalizer or Astral or any of AMT's other units?
                  Last edited by TrendkillDBD; 01-26-2007, 09:52 PM.
                  "Better to Die Quickly Fighting on Your Feet
                  Than to Live Forever Begging on You Knees."-LoG

R.I.P.
                  Dimebag Darrell
                  Chuck Schuldiner
                  Cliff Burton

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                    It sounds amazing though a clean channel. It also sounds amazing plugged directly into a mixing board.
                    Yeah, it does sound amazing through a clean channel. I'm using it in my THD Univalve at the moment. Sounds great through any other amp as well, tube or solid state.

Though, I see no indication of a noise gate on it like the website states. Is there any pot or something on the circuit board I could get to for adjusting a threshold? I don't really want to take it apart.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X