Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pro Tools Guitar Plug ins - Who's using what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Tools Guitar Plug ins - Who's using what?

I'm putting together a laptop Pro Tools rig for myself and need some input on guitar plug ins. I tried Amplitube LE and wasn't impressed. I tried a Line 6 UX2 with Gearbox and loved it, only problem is it can't be used as a plug in. L6 is coming out with a plug in version in January, but I need something sooner.

I've read good things about Guitar Rig and the full blown version of Amplitube. What are you guys using?
    Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

I've got Amplitube and Guitar rig (the one before the latest version). I'm not really crazy about either of em. Although I do like some of the clean sounds and I've had okay luck running acoustic and bass through Guitar rig. For my guitars though I run out of the speaker out on my head into a Palmer ADIG-LB and iinto my computer. It sounds so much better to me than either of the 2 plug ins. This way I can use my rig, Engl Savage 120/TC G system, much easier for me to deal with cause I'm still not the greatest with computers.
    http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

I've got Amplitube and Guitar rig also, also have Waves guitar tool rack.
      i dont really like amplitube, Guitar rig has some REALLY cool stuff in it and is useable, And the Waves GTR package is better than either one the others ever thought about,,and has the price tag to go with it. but alas like Chris i like to go through my amp then to my DAW(Mackie D8B> RME HDSP 52/96> Nuendo3/ Cubase SX3/ Samplitude/ Sonar whatever the project calls for(everything but P.T.) what i do find myself doing more than not is recording 2 tracks of the same guitar line(sometimes at the same time) with one being clean and unprossesed and one through my rig, and taking the clean one and laying the plugins to it then mixing them together. but that is just me,, I guess the main factor is how much you want to spend.
      Last edited by MOSHWITZ; 10-05-2006, 09:18 PM.
      "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

I use the Sansamp plugin. Sounds pretty good to me - not as good as a real amp, but good enough for a demo. I also have amplitude, but I haven't tried it yet.
        Last edited by Matt Crooks; 10-06-2006, 07:19 AM. Reason: speling
        ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Is Waves GTR 2.0 a Pro Tools plugin?
          Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Waves GTR 2.0 is for Pro Tools, it didn`t impress me too much, I would recommend Native Instruments Guitar Rig it sound very good or if you want some vintage analog sound try McDsp Chrome Tone, I recommend you too download the demo from the McDSP website, awesome plugin.

Comment

Try GuitarFX -http://guitarfx.org

I've tried all that was mentioned in this thread. None worked to my satisfaction - sound was bad, interface too damn complicated, expensive sound card needed, etc.

GuitarFX is cheap. Tons of presets available for free. Small app. Small footprint. Install is quick. EASY to work with. No exotic settings to fuss with. Load up and jam!
              [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

When I had a Pro Tool Le rig (prior to being destroyed by lightning strike/power surge), I used the SansAmp plug in as well.

If you really like the gearbox, but can't wait, pick up a used Pod on Ebay and then flip it when you have the plug-in version. I use a Pod with my current laptop/Sonar setup (hated amplitube too) and it is small enough to fit in my laptop bag.

Comment

I tried Guitar-rig 2.2 in Garageband enviroment with my Mac. It's the best plug-in but still has many many problems. Clean and vintage tones are actually pretty killer and I also got some decent 80's metal and lead tones.
                  But for modern hi-gain stuff it blows. A lot of buzz and hizz, no clarity.
                  Also it doesn't have the dynamics of a real amp, it doesn't respond to your finger dynamics like a real amp.
                  That being said, I really loved the Psychedelic Delay effect it has. The best distorted tones I got with Cat pedal (proco rat) and plexi.
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I love the Waves GTR. Waves plug-ins blow everything else out of the water, imho.

Comment

Working...
                    X