No announcement yet.

What speakers should I get for a 2x12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What speakers should I get for a 2x12?

To go with my Avatar cab with two hellatone 60's in it. An obvious answer would be get two more hellatone 60's and throw them in there. My Avatar is an 8 ohm cab and it works very well with my 5150. I have another 2x12 that needs new speakers and needs to be re-wired.

Any suggestions for some new speakers besides Hellatones? I will be using both cabs at practice and shows but it might get to the point where I leave a cab at a separate location. I want to get speakers that compliment what I have but will sound good on its own if I need it to..

Any ideas?
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Hard to go wrong with Celestions, V-30's or G12T-75's are my faves.

Comment

Try some Celestion Classic Lead 80's or Mesa Black Shadow 90's (which are similar but cheaper). They are alot smoother than V30's, which aren't bad either IMO... just depends on what amp you are running through it. When I had my 6505+, I found V30's a bit harsh.

Comment

V30's do have an upper-mid boost, so if your rig is already heavy in that frequency range, they can sound harsh. With my setup, both my V30 loaded cabs (recto 4x12 & 2x12's) are a lot smoother than my black-shadow loaded cab, but then my black shadow cab is a meager 1x12 open back... Never tried the classic leads.

Comment

Bert, it sounds like we have the exact same cabs! You think the 1x12 is harsh with the Black Shadows? I find that my Black Shadow equipped 1x12 3/4 back cab is alot smoother than the Recto/v30 equipped cabs. I put a Classic Lead in my 2x12 along with the stock V30, and the cab is much smoother IMO. When I can free up the $$$, I'm going to get two Classic Leads and put them in my 4x12 in an "X" pattern.

I dunno... all my cabs have been subjected to very high volumes on a regular basis, (just ask my audiologist ) so I doubt it is because they are new/stiff.
          Last edited by khabibissell; 10-15-2006, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Heh, pretty funny. Yeah my 1x12 is kinda harsh. Not sure why. I guess it just doesn't agree with my rig. It's my least favorite cab, and I'm kind of a cab whore. I also have a 2x12 Marshall with the GT75's. That's probably the smoothest of the bunch (and provides the biggest thump) but it lacks a bit in detail.

Comment

One V-30 with one G12-T75... they mix very well together.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                One V-30 with one G12-T75... they mix very well together.
                +1
                www.godwentpunk.com
                www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Black Shadows FTW
                  Scott

Comment

I have my 5150 set at about 4 for the mids and 7 for the bass and highs. I'd say the mids help fatten up the tone a little and I would definately notice them if they were not there. On there other hand, If I push the mids any more there is a good chance it may get a little harsh and fizzy. I think I am looking for something a little more smooth.

Has anyone tried Eminence Swamp Things?

I'm still considering going with some more Hellatone 60's but I want to check as many options as possible... If you buy two from Avatar, you get a free T-Shirt lol.
                    Last edited by Thor Von Clemson; 10-16-2006, 05:54 PM.
                    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
                    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

Working...
                    X