best monitors to partner a Boss GT-8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best monitors to partner a Boss GT-8?

whenever i monitor through my dt100 headphones and my pc speakers, the results are incredibly different. i want a pair of active speakers that will serve as an accurate reference. i've tried genelecs (they're small and have tripod-like desk stands) and mackie hr624's. either monitor pairs would cost me 600 pounds.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Have you just tried it through your home stereo, my GT-6 sounds great through mine.
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

my gt-8 is hooked to a roland vs1880, then via an adaptor cable into my pc that has teeny seperate powered speakers, essentially i may as well be using a hi-fi. eventually, i will need some decent speakers for final mixes, but primarily am concerned that any sounds i make thru my pc speakers sound wank thru my pro headphones and vice versa...

i found the mackie hr624's tend to have a little more bass extension than a pair of genelec's (don't know model no.) sound a tad brighter. they're also physically smaller and have desk purpose tripod stands. i was wondering if anyone had their views on these monitors?
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Headphones and speakers are never going to sound the same - for several reasons. One of the biggest is that headphones isolate each channel completely, speakers in a room have reflections of sound from objects and each other, plus your left ear is going to hear the left AND right speaker, and vice versa.

Pete

Comment

sorry, it was a question of accuracy, i just didn't word it correctly.
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Any good monitors?

If you want 'accuracy' - try Genelects, Adams, Dynaudio (BM15A is my favorite)

If you like pleasant sound - try hi-fi speakers, Mackie etc

Comment

Behringer Truth B2031A's are GREAT bang for the buck and have plenty of power!

I recommend!

Comment

akoch already said it very well. There are two kinds of "mixing monitors". If you want accurate speakers you normally have to drop quite some $.
                Personally i have found that some genelecs i listened to in a store also were quite pleasant sounding and not so much accurate. But listening in a store is always not the best reference.
                Behringers are not accurate as they tend to overdefine quite some ranges.
                I went with Adam P33-A speakers and never looked back.

The best advice in this case is to always test the speakers yourself. And mostly it's "what you get is what you pay". Cheap monitors mostly sound cheap. It's just want you want to achieve with them and how "professional" you need them.

Flo
                http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

600 quid ain't cheap! i'm planning this for xmas. well i can't take 'em home, they charge rental fees (50 quid+ per day). i listened in the shop and it's the genelec 8030a's vs. mackie hr624's. i think considering the smaller size and isolation tripods, the genelecs could be the better bet.
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Originally posted by gemini8026 View Post
                    Behringer Truth B2031A's are GREAT bang for the buck and have plenty of power!

I recommend!
                    +1. I have a pair I use with my GNX4 and I love them.
                    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Haha well with studio monitors you really need to think again about the term cheap. Honestly i would consider my Adam speakers as being only middle-class and they are at around $3K.

One thing i found with little speakers are mostly problems with the bass response. But that's just the nature of small speakers. So maybe you want to plan in a subwoofer in the future if you go with small speakers. That's one of the main reasons i went with the Adam P33-A as with thier double woofers have enough low end.

I probably would go with the genelecs. I never heard Mackies but it seems like they are normally not on the revealing side. But that's just what i read about them so no real life experience.

Flo
                      http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

I can't say enough good things about KRKs. I got a great deal on a used pair of V6s from Jacksonite, and they are amazing. I use them w/ my computer & POD. They are pricey new, but I see good deals on eBay pretty often. They also make a more budget-friendly line (RP series) that get great reviews. M-Audio BX5s sound great for the price, too.

Comment

Working...
                        X