Does this amp exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this amp exist?

High-gain, two channel, one 6L6/KT88 tube for power. I'm thinking 20-25W max.

On a slightly related sidenote, has anyone here ever built a guitar amp? Is it hard? Can a semi-knowledgable electronics person do it without killing themselves? Is the cost worth it?
    Scott

I've never heard of a 25watt high gain amp, just 50...

Comment

THD Univalve...lets you throw whatever power tube you want in that sumbitch...dunno if its 1 or 2 channels tho..
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

...but not high gain

Comment

Just get an amp that's 50 watts and throw el84's in it ??

25 watts ? still plenty loud - altough you'd get useable sounds earlier on the vol. pot

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
            THD Univalve...lets you throw whatever power tube you want in that sumbitch...dunno if its 1 or 2 channels tho..
            It's one channel with two inputs... high (Rock) and low (Roll). The high input channel does old-school Metallica Kill 'Em All era sounds, definitely needs an OD pedal for a boost into higher gain territory. Though, using an EL84 with the Yellow Jacket adapter and two 12AX7s will keep me pretty happy if I don't feel like using a pedal. The built-in attenuator is also great for getting that power tube saturation when I feel like playing at night without disturbing the neighbors. And even though it's only 15 watts, it can get damn loud when cranked, even over a hard-hitting drummer!!!
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

James Peters makes some cool two-channel amps, as low as 20 watts, where you get to choose how you want the channels to sound. I want one!

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                I've never heard of a 25watt high gain amp, just 50...
                ?
                http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

Originally posted by blindmuddy View Post
                  ?
                  ...just 50 watts (high gain tube amps), never heard of a 25 watt high gain tube amp... that's what I meant.

Comment

Mesa studio 22 is in that range. Pair of EL84's tho..... Do you have to have a single 6l6/KT88?
                    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

WHAT SOUND ARE YOU LOOKING FOR?
                      In the last two years I've gone through a lot of amps, I had the THD Univalve and it lasted about 9 months which means it is a real good amp, from what you wrote I do not think you would be happy with the amp! The Bivalve is the only amp I know of that will do the 6L6/KT88 combo of tubes but still it is a single channel amp, about 9 months ago I sold my Fargen Epic 30 and used the money to build 3 amps, the 36watt an 18watt and a 1.5watt Firefly amp and all the amps turned out great....... search the web "look for a layout" not a schematic, and find something that will work for you.

The quest for tone.
                      Last edited by OldSchool; 10-31-2006, 11:07 PM.

Comment

My Peters Dual Channel is 20 watts. One of the channels is a modern high gain (warhawk). You can get it with 6V6's or EL84's.
                        "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                          one 6L6/KT88 tube for power.
                          Actually, now that I think about it, a KT88 is a replacement for a 6550, not a 6L6. A 6L6 is a form of KT66.

Comment

you're not going to get that much wattage out of one tube - more like 15. Closest amp to what you're asking about is a mesa studio .22 or DC2 - 2EL84s in the power section, about 18 honest watts, rated at 22 though.

If you HAVE to have a single KT88 or 6L6, then get a univalve and run an overdrive pedal into it. I used to gig with a setup like that, worked great. You're still only going to get about 15 watts.

Ditto on the Peters amps - James is a great guy and he builds amazing amps.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                              Closest amp to what you're asking about is a mesa studio .22 or DC2 - 2EL84s in the power section, about 18 honest watts, rated at 22 though.
                              Or a Mesa F-30 with its 2 EL84s. That's one amp I kinda miss, but I got out of my combo phase. It was a great amp! I think I want the head version eventually.

Comment

Working...
                              X