Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke-free environment?

Hi

I was checking out some ebay auctions for amps and cabs and the one comment I kept coming accross was "kept in a smoke-free environment".

Ok, smoke can't be good, but, is there a "special" reason for this to be "better" ?

non smokers dont want to smell it?

Comment

have you ever been around a smokers stuff? There is a residue that forms after yrs of exposure. Most people dont want this or the smell on there gear.

Comment

The funk is embedded into the speaker cab, cone material, guitar finish, guitar case, everywhere. If you are a non-smoker you will smell that a mile away.
        If you gig in clubs you will know.
        Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

yeah, its amazing what smoke residue can do to your stuff. Its no joke... I always thought my parents had creme color walls until they started rennovating a few years ago. Thats one reason I always smoked outside, because I dont like the smell of it all over my stuff.

That reminds me... I need a smoke...
          Guitars:
          '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
          '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
          '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
          Amp:
          VOX AD30VT

Comment

LOL, thanks guys! Always helpful

I thought maybe it had to do because smoke particles get inside the amp's circuit or whatever, but I guess the smell factor is very important too, I'm a smoker myself but I kinda like the smell of it

Comment

Luckily there's no smoking in public buildings in all of California...
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                LOL, thanks guys! Always helpful

I thought maybe it had to do because smoke particles get inside the amp's circuit or whatever, but I guess the smell factor is very important too, I'm a smoker myself but I kinda like the smell of it
                Actually, whats really gross is when you open up a piece of electronics with an active fan thats been in a smokers house for 5+ years. The fan just pulls in the smoke and the tar just sticks to all the components because of the heat. Talk about a disgusting mess ...

I pulled a CPU fan out of an old 486 that a friend had never cleaned. The PC crashed because it over heated; it over heated because the fan was so gummed up with tar that it wouldnt move anymore.

Later,

Steve
                Guitars:
                '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                Amp:
                VOX AD30VT

Comment

Heh. Our rehearsal space and a lot of the places we play are smoke-free, fortunately. Wish they were fart-free, too, but no such luck.

Comment

Also happens with coffee cups. Never leave hot coffee near electronics. The evapourating coffee will end up on the components and eventually ruin the circuit.
                    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

the last apt I lived in for 8 years, the white walls were brown when i moved out, over time it can leave some nasty residue, i wonder what my lungs look like!
                      METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                        Luckily there's no smoking in public buildings in all of California...
                        That will happen in Slovenia next year or so. Can't wait! Smoking sucks...

Comment

When I was in Seattle last year they just started the no-smoking law inside public buildings like clubs, bars, etc.

It actually felt weird going to a bar with no smoke at all, I mean, nowadays smoking and a bar are like dirt and nail or something.

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                            are like dirt and nail or something.
                            You mean like Alexi's?

:ROTF:
                            The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Is he gay?
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X