No announcement yet.

Uprgrading to a new head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stay away from the Krank, tried one and was very disappointed!
    My new favorite setup, belive it or not, is a `73 Ampeg V2 head into two Marshall 4x12's with a Tonebone Hot British tube distortion pedal.
    It's a little noisey, you need a gate after the pedal but it sounds Killer!

Comment

+1 on the Framus Cobra! but you need the matching cab. (or a 4x12 with 25w greenbacks)
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Get the Cobra. I have one. It destroys.

Comment

I'd vote for a Recto (Triple, preferably - I continue to maintain that the Triple solves all of the Dual's issues) or the Mark. Both are good at different things.
          Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by eaeolian View Post
            I'd vote for a Recto (Triple, preferably - I continue to maintain that the Triple solves all of the Dual's issues) or the Mark. Both are good at different things.
            Two channel Triple Rectos loaded with EL34's will smoke most Dual Rectos loaded with 6L6's,...except of couse for the early Duals (serial# 500 or under)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84 View Post
              Dude I really hate to disagree with you, but I've used mine in 3 different bands and the other guitar players were definitely not using a Dual Rectifier....one was mine mixed with a Marshall DSL50 and Blue Voodoo head, one was me on my Dual Rec and the other guitarist with a Marshall TSL122 and a Fender Hot Rod Deville, and the other is me and a guy with a Marshall JCM900...I think a Dual Rec works especially well if you mix it with a Marshall amp or something that really compliments it.

I never had any luck. My bandmate kept having to turn his Dual Rectifier up during every gig so that he could be heard. I was playing through a Marshal JCM800 at the time. My volume and gain was lower than his but I could be heard much easier in a loud and live big metal band mix.
              I always thought the Dual Recto sounded great on its own when I wasn't playing (I was the lead singer too and for some songs I just sang).

Comment

Originally posted by eaeolian View Post
                what do you mean? what are the isssues with the dual?

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                  +1 on the Framus Cobra! but you need the matching cab. (or a 4x12 with 25w greenbacks)
                  No you don't. I have a couple 2 x 12 Bag Ends and they are the biggest sounding speakers I have ever heard. They sound tremendous with the Cobra. And you can go to Channel 3, hit the mid scoop switch and get the Recto sound. The base is just huge.
                  PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

If you're playing lead I'd go for the Mark IV personally.

Comment

The only real big difference is headroom, if you like pre-amp distortion only the triple will get you there. Some claim it has a tighter bottem end, i have not heard that, sounds the same as a dual at low volumes, at higher levels is where they sound slighly different because with a dual you will start to get power amp distortion quicker.

Originally posted by fallenzero View Post
                      what do you mean? what are the isssues with the dual?

Comment

You're playing a Framus now, Fragle? switched from 5150 again?
                        I'm considering a Blackmore with standard cab myself, I prefer V30 but the dealer said the Blackmore's voicing was better suited to the standard cab...

I had decided to buy the Herbert but I can't justify spending 4500 euros on a halfstack....however, I can get the Blackmore for "5150 money" so I'm probably going in that direction.

Comment

dude, the cobra is the best amp i've ever heared/owned/played, hands down. as i already said, if it had slightly higher voiced mids it would be perfect, but it's great the way it is, too. definitely the most articulate, punchy, clear, noise free high gainer with the best clean channel on a high gain head there is. plus it's versatile as fuck. the only thing it doesn't do convincingly is vintage rock/oldschool marshall sounds in general, due to the low mid voicing.
                          A/B ing the cobra to the 5150 is like night and day...the 5150 sounds muddy, compressed, dark, harsh, and just undefined in general when put up against the cobra.
                          one thing though....it's VERY difficult to get a really GREAT sound out of it. definitely a tweakers amp.

Comment

i'm sure you can get higher voiced mids out of the cobra by using a different cab. cabs make such a difference.
                            what cab are you using with your cobra?
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

most of the time either a laney 412 cab with HH speakers, or a marshall 1960A/B setup

Comment

....and different power tubes+bias perhaps? interesting, nonetheless. for me, it's Blackmore for now...oh and I'll have one of those erdinger weissbier too please

Comment

Working...
                                X