Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression comparison

Hi there, folks...
    I have a question about compression. My T.C. Electronics effects unit comes with compression; how would this compare in quality to a stand alone compression unit, like dbx? Also...compression, as I understand, creates an even signal response across all frequencies, so that the attack and release of individual notes, or chords are even. Compression seems to sound really good on the Recto mode on my triaxis, but seems to sound terrible when I use the Mark IIC+ mode. Could this be because the Mark IIC+ tone is already much more focused and tight than the Recto tone? I guess I'm trying to figure out how this makes sense in relation to what a compressor does.

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,
    Nick

A compressor does one thing. It knocks down the higher sounding notes/sounds closer in level to the lower sounding ones. Then with the GAIn it raises the whole "compressed" signal up so the lowers and highers sound more equal. The TC will probably be fine but the DBX will be better because its a specific tool. They have more room for electronics to do the compressing. Keeley makes a great compressor pedal but its expensive.

If the amp already has a compressed sound then a comp wont enhance it. I rarely use a comp on a guitar. If I do its usually set at maybe a 6Db reduction and slow attack to let the dynamics thru and fast release and a 3:1 ratio and then 6Db make up gain.

Comment

Working...
    X