No announcement yet.

Tube head or SS head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Randall RH50 and the Peavey ValveKing are both made in China which is why they're cheap. I've heard good things about the ValveKings, the only thing I've heard about the RH50 is that its layout is almost exactly like a Madison Divinity. That was in the context of the Madison scandal where they claimed their amps were made in the USA and it turned out they were made in China.

Sorry if that doesn't help much. I do think you're better off with tube watts than SS but like others I think your bass player with an 80-watt combo can't be all that loud. I guess if you're going for an AJFA sound it'd work though!
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Laney GH50L, it's cheap and it's all tube. Dunno if it's the kind of sound your looking for (it's very marshall-sounding, but it has enough gain and more bottom-end) but it worth a try.
      Good luck!

Comment

Thank you guys!
        I'm writing all this down!

I've been listening to a lot soundclips online, and figured out that I want something with a little grittier distortion than a Marshall. A modern sound with a lot of high mids.

I've also realised that the tube sound is (ultimately) what I want - but most tube heads just cost more than I can swing right now, and there are not that many going used for a good price. I will keep an eye out for desirable heads going cheap and see what I can get my paws on.

...And I figure that if I get an SS head to tide me over until I can afford a tube head, I can also use it as a backup amp once I get a hold of a tube amp that I really want. It looks like the Peavey XXL is the hottest contender as far as SS heads go.

As for tube heads, I've been very impressed with the sounds that people coax out of the Randall RM100! Has anyone ever used one of these? Seems like you can buy separate preamp modules for it, that mimic everything from Marshalls to Rectos!

Comment

Get a compressor if your gonna be playing with 12's on your 750XL! Those bass strings will drown every other string out!!
          I love admins!

Comment

Originally posted by sl2lover View Post
            Get a compressor if your gonna be playing with 12's on your 750XL! Those bass strings will drown every other string out!!
            I have adjusted the bass side of my pickups away from the strings. Seems to work fine.

Comment

I thought I'd give you guys a status report on my amp shopping.

I finally relented and bought a Marshall Valvestate 8100 with matching 4x12 cab. I've had one of these before (about ten years ago, before I decided to not play in bands anymore).

I would like to thank all of you who took your time to give me suggestions and recommendations! If I ever go amp shopping again, I have a better idea what to look for! Kudos and many thanks!

I've been looking for Peavey XXLs and tube Laneys, but they were just not available at a price I could afford. Then I caught wind of this old Valvestate. The guy had been having troubles moving it, because he lived way off and didn't want to ship it - so it was down to dirt cheap. I took the car, drove there, tested the amp and paid in cash after playing three riffs. I used up a tank of gas going there and back, but even with that cost added to it, it was cheap. The only issues I've found so far, are a crackling pot and a missing foot switch.

The 8100 has enough gain to go into Bodom territory with a Duncan Distortion. I know I may have problems cutting through with it live, but hopefully it will do fine for rehearsals. I didn't remember the 8100 sounding as good as this one does - think this will do fine for a while.

Comment

The Peavey XXLs are nice, too.
                Last edited by Racerx2k; 12-13-2006, 09:12 PM.
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

i would have gone with the fender Roc Pro 1000. best sounding cheap head out there IMO. but the valvestate should do just fine.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

That 8100 was a good choice. I also like Randall RG series heads for SS... my RG80 head is a beast.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                      i would have gone with the fender Roc Pro 1000. best sounding cheap head out there IMO. but the valvestate should do just fine.
                      The Roc Pro 1000 is a great sounding head, I used to own one, but it doesn't have as much gain as a Valvestate. The original 8100 and 8200 series Valvestates kick much ass!
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                        That 8100 was a good choice. I also like Randall RG series heads for SS... my RG80 head is a beast.

Pete
                        Yeah, I always dug those Randalls, too. Nice tones.
                        I'm not Ron!

Comment

8100 is a good choice. Back when I first bought mine (8100head/8412 bottom and 1966B as top cab+charvel model 6) I played with some friends and the drummer did not drown me out at all and the other guitar player that was playing a full 5150 stack was blown away by the sound I was getting!

Comment

Working...
                          X