Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know what sound I want... but what amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know what sound I want... but what amp?

Okay, I'm in the market for a new amp. In fact, I have never really had a good amp, just shitty combinations of shitty heads and shitty cabs.

My counterpart guitarist has a Sunn Model T (not a vintage). To my ear's, it's the cat's ass. I LOVE the tone and the way it seems to 'cut through' any live mix. It's naturally loud, if that makes any sense.

So, my question is... Does anyone have any recommendations to a comparable amp with a similar BIG TONE? I would just buy the same goddam amp, but they're almost impossible to find, so I figured I would just go for something similar in sound that is current production.
    "my aim is precise, armed with my own failures"

Uberschall
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Well.. you should define a few things. Budget for one, maybe the cab you do like or speakers you prefer or the rest of your rig and style of music. Also.. if you have already eliminated this 'shitty head' and that 'shitty cab' ..that doesn't define what specifically has not met your needs in the past. You should say.. "peavey doesn't cut it" etc.
      Not alot of guys here are likely personally familiar with newer Model T's, at least haven't posted as much. Those were stadium amps in the days of old that were freakin pushing over 200 watts if I recall.
      (Rod Price used 'em) The new ones I have not seen or heard much about but it looks like they're a 100 watts.
      There are a ton of threads with recommendations on what amp should get you 'X' tone and they can vary in the debate between modeler and tube.
      Peavey's 5150, XXX, JSX
      Carvin, Legacy, V3

..and so on.

Comment

Charvelguy, I have used little Marshall solid state "budget" jeads in the past. Right now, I'm stuck with a cheapie Marshall 4x12 cab (not sure of the model, one of the smaller cabs) and a Crate BV head. I think the head is actually fairly decent, but it just seems kind of stale, even when used with a beefier cab.

The style of music that I play is kind of hard to define. It's definitely a progressive kind of metal. I wouldn't really try to categorize it with all of the "core" metal that is so popular these days. I hate to be so vague, but damn... It just calls for a lot of bottom to get a good chunk, but enough clarity so that the leads come out all nice and warm.
        Last edited by underrealm; 11-15-2006, 01:56 PM.

Comment

those reissue model T's are really nothing like the vintage ones; they're basically a high gain channel switching fender, while the originals were extremely loud and clean amps, almost a cross between a bass amp and a guitar amp. Maybe look into some of the other higher gain fenders for a similar sound? (prosonic, supersonic, etc). I've heard multiple people describe both the high gain fenders and the reissue T as 'boogie-like' as well, so maybe look in that direction - check out the Mark series boogies.

Comment

well thats a little better, thank you. Bill says you should just plunk 1800.00 down on the Uber and be done with it. Course, you have to have a cab that can handle it too. Not sure if you are using the AV cab?
            Do you have a budget in mind?
            Used or new?..doesn't matter?
            If you are open to the newer technology..you should check on some of the Vetta threads too...altho, they are not for everyone.

Comment

Well then, he'd probably like a Fender Tonemaster. Plenty of wattage there to keep up with a Model T.
              Really depends on how much you want to spend and if you have a immediate need or can plan and budget for 'the' amp purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy View Post
                Tonemaster.
                Ahhh! that was the other one I was trying to remember the name of! thanks tom

Comment

Yeah.. still kicking myself for not snaggin the one they had at a local MGR for 700.00.
                  Prosonics are said to be similar tho. I have not compared them side by side.

Comment

How about a Diezel? $5K ought to get you a half stack.

Comment

What about a 5150/6505?

Comment

well thats a little better, thank you. Bill says you should just plunk 1800.00 down on the Uber and be done with it. Course, you have to have a cab that can handle it too. Not sure if you are using the AV cab?
                        If you are open to the newer technology..you should check on some of the Vetta threads too...altho, they are not for everyone.

Cab??..No Cab..

Just Uberschall..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

My budget is going to max out at $1500 for a cab and a head together. That may be asking a whole lot, but I don't know. I don't have much experience in this department (obviously). I have been surviving the past 10 years on pawn shop specials that I still never learned anything from.

I'm willing to go used as long as it is well built and won't be a money pit. I had the chance to play on a B-52 AT100 (?) at GC today. I thought it sounded pretty good in the store, and the price was right... but I also heard about reliability issues with these units. But $699 for a head and $399 for a cab didn't sound too bad at all. Anyone here have experience with these amps?

What about a 5150/6505?
                          I hear so much about these amps. I suppose I need to find one to plug into. What do these go for used?
                          Last edited by underrealm; 11-15-2006, 06:10 PM.

Comment

5150/6505..with matching cab and a BBE 422 in the loop..

dude, ..trust me.

Comment

Last time I saw a band using a Sunn Model T it reminded me of my Dual Rectifier loaded with EL34s....check out some used ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X