Gotta give Line6 credit this time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta give Line6 credit this time.

Has anyone checked out Line6's Gear Box? My studio engineer friend bought it for his home studio. Basically it's just a little USB interface/DI box with software and plug-ins for recording guitars or "re-amping" existing guitar tracks. I don't know what different versions are available, but he got a package that includes every guitar and bass model they offer, and I must admit that - despite my dislike of the modeling "feel" - this thing really is cool. In addition to all the amp models, it also has effects, mic and cab models. You can search by band/guitarist to get their approximate tone. Very handy for studio use.

The only immediate shortcoming I noticed was that there were few, if any, settings for the "classic" extreme metal bands. No Carcass, no Death, no In Flames. But the Dave Mustaine model was dead on RIP/CTE-era. Another guy who stopped by was quite the Megadeth fan and played "High Speed Dirt" with very convincing tone, using an OLP Petrucci with EMGs and only the Gear Box and a Mac/monitors for output.
    sigpic

I own the Toneport UX2, the one with the meters and XLR inputs on the front, and the Metal Shop model pack. I don't think you can beat it for the money. On the Custom Tone web site you might be able to find presets for some of the bands you mentioned. These days I'm mostly using the JCM 800, Bogner, and Soldano models. I need to upload my presets somewhere so you guys can check them out.

Comment

A friend bought me the UX1 last year for Christmas. It's really cool. I use it to play my guitar on the computer all the time, but I think I used the recording software once or twice. I guess I should read up on it and start trying to record some MP3s.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Gearbox is by far the best sounding amp simulation software on the market, and it's cheap too!

My only gripe is it doesn't seem to work with Pro Tools, it kept crashing my laptop when I tried using it anyway.
        Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

toejam: For recording software you might want to check out Reaper. Like the Toneport, it's hard to beat for the money. http://www.reaper.fm/download.php

Comment

Cool, thanks! The Ableton Live Line 6 Edition software it came with seems okay, but not all that great, and a little confusing, that's why I haven't used it all that much. Then again, I don't have any other experience with recording software, but I may just be a dumbass, plus I'm too lazy too read through the online manual and absorb everything.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

How do the sounds compare to the vetta? Paricularly for recording. I've been using my v-amp pro for years(?) now and would love to check out something new and/or better. I use it through the pc and its speakers (hq 5.1), and very occasionally through my amp. From the website I'm not convinced on its metal tone, but that could obviously be because they have no friggin' clue about it, and are just using a les paul or strat. I'd love to hear someone from here play through it!

I was skewing toward the vetta aisle for my next rig purchase, but its an expensive path! If this sounds near as good I can make it happen alot sooner!

Comment

Originally posted by bibz View Post
                How do the sounds compare to the vetta? Paricularly for recording. I've been using my v-amp pro for years(?) now and would love to check out something new and/or better.
                Ditto that here. I have a Pod XT Live and love it, but am always interested in hearing new and exciting things... especially if I can use it as a plugin for GarageBand or Logic 7 on the Mac. Here's another question.. are the presets compatible with other Line6 hardware models such as the XT Live? For instance, I'd like to get the Mustaine RIP/CTE tone on my XT hehe. I've seen some on Customtone.com but none really come close in my opinion.

Thanks for the info on this cool product dude!
                - Adam

Comment

Working...
                X