Chorus shootout Boss CE-5 vs Line 6 Space Chorus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chorus shootout Boss CE-5 vs Line 6 Space Chorus

Well I have been looking around for new effects. I own the Boss Ce-5 Chorus pedal and figured I have not tried any kind of Line 6 effect so what the hell.

I picked up a Line 6 Space Chorus which is apart of there Tone Core pedal lineup. It's built like a tank but the knobs seem a bit cheap. It has this switch on it to go from Chorus Tri and Trem modes. Ok cool it does alittle more then a standard chorus pedal.

It took me a few minutes just to figure out how to turn it on. You have to press harder until it clicks then it goes on and off. Wierd but it has a tap tempo ability so light tabs activate that feature.I guess that cool 2 if you wanna change your speed on the fly.

The sound quality for just Chorus is good. It's pretty clean and has a nice stereo effect. I felt it better then the Digitech I once owned. But against the Boss Ce-5, it's just not a clear or full. The Boss sounds like a Professional grade quality effect and the line 6 like a cheap Imatation. I'm a bit sad about this as I was looking forward to getting rid of my Boss pedal and replaceing it with the line 6. My Idea was to go total Tone core line and place them in the chain where I see fit. Running OD's in front of the amp and effects in the effects loop. I've been playing with the tone cores online and figured they sounded great.

The Tri mode just sucks. Occording to Line 6 this is a secret tone that people use in studios. Well in my opnion they can keep it a secret. I'm not finding use for this mode. And Trem mode some thing. I'm not into it.

THe Chorus effect after many hours of messing with it seems to adjust differently then the Boss. Especially the Depth. Om the Line 6 it changes speed and seems to add a tone change. It makes it muddy depending on where you set it. Wierd. The Boss just gives you a deeper chorus effect which I'm used to that Knob doing just that.

How to overall rate the Line 6 Space Chorus.... I don't want to beat it but so far I'm liking my Boss alot better. Funny how you go out and look for new tone and come right back to what you already got. Maybe thats it in a nutshell, I'm so use to my tone that changing it up with the Line 6 is why I don't like it much. I'm gonna spend more time with it as I got alot of cool Ideas with Line 6 pedals. I'm also wanting to check out ther 4 button pedals. They have True bypass and seem to offer alot. They would be cool to add in and make some cool tones....

Anyone else have experience with Line 6 Tonecore effects or there 4 button ones???

Dan

Did alittle more playing with the 2 pedals today and my opnion is getting worse of Line 6. I was turning it off using the Boss then going back and it doesn't retain it's settings. Wierd.

I was paying attention to my guitar tone on both pedals and a correctly working chorus should play through your tone then add the chorus slighty detuned tone underneath. Well the Boss pulls this off perfectly. I noticed that the Boss keeps and retains the sound quality of my tone. I don't think it's a true bypass design but it seems to sound like it is. the Line 6 the tone is darker on top and the Chorus effect isn't consistant. I'm also finding the other 2 modes useless for what I do.

Anyone else have opnions on these 2 pedals or Line 6 vs Boss in general?? I'm really considering getting the Boss GT 8 and wiring it in the 4 cable method. I was looking into Line 6 live board but I didn't see the ability to wire it up in front as well as in the effects loop. I consider this a must as I like both my clean channel and drive channel of my amp.

Dan

Comment

Working...
    X