Peavey Valve King! Praise within...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Valve King! Praise within...

I don't know if anyone has any experience with these amps but I am here to say they are outstanding for the price. I was shopping for a 1X12 combo and I was down to the Peavey and the Marshall. It was not an easy choice. For the price it cost (under $500) it surpised me how well it stood toe to toe with the Marshall that was over twice the cost.

Now in the end I did go with the Marshall, only because the Valve King was a little darker than I like an amp to sound and I coudn't dial that out of the tone. Plus I really really wanted something that sounded like a Marshall and only the Marshall could do it.

But anybody on a budget or anybody else looking for a solid tube amp that can deliver the goods needs to seriously give this thing a try. This Peavey even sounded better than Fender's new amp (SuperSonic or something like that).

I've tried these amps, and love them. I'm surprised you found them to be dark, and not "Marshall-sounding", as I accidentally got a terrific EVH brown sound out of the one that I was trying out. Actually, my onlt complaint was that it seemed a tad short on bottom end, but, to me, that's the bass's realm anyway, unless you are playing some chugging metal. Only thing I like better, that day, was the DSL 50 that I played. Didn't like the pricetag on THAT one, though.

All in all, a great rock amp for the price.
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Well to be honest I only tried the 1X12 combo, the smallest one they had. I really only needed a small combo I can get a good tone out of.

I agree that it was extremely "Marshall sounding". That's why I had such a tought time deciding.

But for chords and all that, the VK was just as good as the Marshall. There was something about the lead sound of the Marshall that sold me on it. And trust me, that was the only reason I picked the Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post

Now in the end I did go with the Marshall
        What model of Marshall did you pit against the VK?

Comment

DSL 2000 401

At least that's what the receipt says. But I think it's wrong because the one I played had 3 channels, clean, OD, and full gain. I could have sworn it was a TSL.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bryan;820604]DSL 2000 401

QUOTE]

Not to take anything away from the VK, but the DSL 401 is probably one of the more craptacular amps Marshall makes right now. Had one - HATED IT. It was a tone coffin. I couldn't find an even semi-passable tone on that amp and I spent HOURS trying to do it. The only thing that helped that amp at all was plugging it into a closed-back 2x12. But everyone has their likes. If it works for you, I'm glad for you!

I tried out the VK and found it to be a very nice amp - if I were looking for a good tube amp on a budget, that would probably be my #1 choice - excellent bang for the buck!
            Last edited by chrisolson; 11-22-2006, 01:45 PM.

Comment

maybe he likes the sound of el-84's. i know i do.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Glad to hear that. I like EL-84 amps too. But not that one... Blecchhh...

Comment

Has any body played a XXX Super 40. I am seriously thinking about that one or the Marshall DSL 401?

Comment

The Peavey Windsor head sounds very very nice and is right around $600.00.
                    I too like the valve king 100 head sounds very Marshally to me
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                    X