Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zoom G2.1U multi-effects pedal, any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoom G2.1U multi-effects pedal, any good?

Does anyone use this m-e pedal? How is the tone, build quality, etc? A friend is recommending it, he has one. I've also been looking at various other multi-effects pedals/modelers like BOSS GT8, POD XT Live, etc. This pedal seems to cover what I need and is a much better price than the others. I want something I can use into my practice amp and also live into a combo or direct into a PA. I'm just getting into guitar playing again, and currently have no pedals. I don't want to go with individual effects pedals. Something like a multi-effects pedal where I don't need a lot of gear seems like a perfect way to go. But, sound quality and tone are still important to me. I see the GT8 recommended a lot, but I have not seen much on the G2.1U. Online price on a GT8 is about 400 € while the G2.1U is only 166 €. Forum search turned up nothing on the G2.1U, or the search is currently not working. I play a stock DK2 H/S/S into a Roland Micro Cube practice amp at the moment. I plan to order a small combo in a few months, currently leaning towards the Vox AD30VT, but that is another topic...

My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Some samples on my page of direct recordings of the G2:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=182432

Read the description of the clip for which one was done using the Zoom G2.

I also own a Zoom GFX-5 and Boss GT-8. The G2 I own is the one without the expression pedal. Not bad on its own compared to the others. For sure the options are limited.

Feel free to ask some more Qs.
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
      I also own a Zoom GFX-5 and Boss GT-8.
      I understand the G2 doesn't match up directly against the GT-8, but if you compare the two, what are the most-missed features that the G2 doesn't have in your opinion?

At this point, I can justify buying the G2.1U, but the GT-8 would have to come much later as I still need to pick up a combo in the near future.
      My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

Originally posted by cbope View Post
        I understand the G2 doesn't match up directly against the GT-8, but if you compare the two, what are the most-missed features that the G2 doesn't have in your opinion?
        Sound wise, IMO, the cheap Zoom G2 sounds damn good side by side compared to the GT8... For sure, they cut the corners here and there, but for the price, the lil' G2 is surprising.

But if you ask for "versatility", well this is where shines the GT8. On the GT8 you can mover around FX, put the wah at the end of the FX chain if you wish, it's possible on the GT8. Also, the GT8 as a built in FX loop that let you put a pedal or your amp pre into it. The FX on the GT8 offers more parameters for tweaking. MIDI IN/MIDI OUT, and I could go, on and on...

It all depends on what you really want to do. My G2 used to be on my pedalboard for some FX mixed up with some other pedals but I wanted to only have one thing that could do it all and for me the GT8 was it, I know that some folks don't like the GT8. But, I won't get rid

If you are just starting back, may be go with a cheaper unit. How why not just get a good small combo amp? And then buy only the FX pedals you need?

I always find it complicated to compare FX units together, mostly cheap one with more expensives ones. You will find pros and cons whatever the price you pay.

Can I offer you more help?
        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
          Sound wise, IMO, the cheap Zoom G2 sounds damn good side by side compared to the GT8... For sure, they cut the corners here and there, but for the price, the lil' G2 is surprising.

But if you ask for "versatility", well this is where shines the GT8. On the GT8 you can mover around FX, put the wah at the end of the FX chain if you wish, it's possible on the GT8. Also, the GT8 as a built in FX loop that let you put a pedal or your amp pre into it. The FX on the GT8 offers more parameters for tweaking. MIDI IN/MIDI OUT, and I could go, on and on...

It all depends on what you really want to do. My G2 used to be on my pedalboard for some FX mixed up with some other pedals but I wanted to only have one thing that could do it all and for me the GT8 was it, I know that some folks don't like the GT8. But, I won't get rid

If you are just starting back, may be go with a cheaper unit. How why not just get a good small combo amp? And then buy only the FX pedals you need?

I always find it complicated to compare FX units together, mostly cheap one with more expensives ones. You will find pros and cons whatever the price you pay.

Can I offer you more help?

Hmmm... well, life suddenly gets more complicated

I really want the GT-8 for sure, I think it will serve me long-term whereas I can see the limits of the G2.1U already. As I mentioned I was planning to get the Vox AD30VT... but after reading a few reviews of the Peavey Valve King 112 combo... I'd have to say I will go for the Peavey which is roughly double the cost of the Vox. Budget-wise, that means I will probably go with the G2.1U for now and save the GT-8 for a later upgrade. I believe the Valve King would be a long-term piece of gear for me and would outlast the Vox. Unfortunately, music is only a hobby for me, so I try to plan my gear purchases carefully.

Thx for the help so far.

Comment

Working...
          X