Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Dual Rectifier - ask for help...

Hi JCFers,

Last time I was decided to buy Mesa - few months ago I bought 4x12" cab from local polish dealer (about $1400 for new). Now it is the time for last step - Mesa Dual/Triple Rectifier amp. Because my Mesa knowledge is rather poor I have some question to you:

- Mesa Dual 2 channel/3 channel - is it a sound difference between this models?
    - What would you recommend - Mesa DR 2 channel / 3 channel or maybe Mesa Triple is better?
    - Or should I buy older Mesa DR 2channel amp (I read on few sites that sounds better and more powerful than new models)
    - I saw 2 versions of 3ch DR - with silver and white knobs - is it the same or maybe there is a difference between these?

Due to extremally high Mesa pricelists in Europe ($2800 for new DR 3ch and above $2000 for used imported version with 110/220 converter) I was decided to buy used/new in US. Maybe someone could help me with buying it or give me some links except Ebay (If my last question broke the board rules, I am sorry, please let me know and I will delete it ASAP)

Thanks for information
    Let's try to fight with alcoholism! Drink more and leave less for others

I wouldn't get a Triple unless you are playing arenas or the rest of your band is EXTREMELY loud. A Single or Dual should be fine. Regarding 2 or 3 channel....the 2 channel models are generally favored tonewise. But do you need 3 channels? If so, then a 3 channel model might fit your needs better.

Comment

The Triple isn't about volume - it's about a difference in tone you get from having so much headroom.

Most everyone agrees - the 2ch Duals sound way better than the 3ch's.

I'd go for an older 2ch or a Racktofier.

The Mesa forum at http://www.grailtone.com/forum usually has a good classifieds section.

Comment

At our last tone party, the older discontinued Racktofier sounded better than a brand new dual-Recto.

Comment

If you play lead guitar I would go for a newer version single or Dual Rectifier with the solo boost feature.

Comment

lets us know what style of music you are playing too. I have owned them all, settled with my number 5, which is the 5th recto ever made to go into production. Alot warmer and not as much buzz. The two channels are warmer sounding, but unless you own a 2 channel and a 3 channel to compare side by side you would never know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by DSS3 View Post
              The Triple isn't about volume - it's about a difference in tone you get from having so much headroom.
              100% true. I far prefer the 3ch Triple to the 3ch Dual. In fact, I prefer it to *most* 2 ch Duals...
              Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

They should explain this a little better to you. With a triple you have alot more headroom, which means the power section is not gonna distort easy. With this you are getting mostly pre-gain distortion only, some people prefer preamp only so that is where it might would fit in good for you if that is your thing. Also your clean channel will take alot longer to break up at volume levels.

However, unless you are playing huge clubs you never really ever get to crank your amp past 3 or 4 anyway, so not much difference between having a dual or a triple in that respect

I prefer the dual because i like power amp distortion, much more warmer then preamp, plus with the mix of preamp plus power amp you just get more distortion.

Originally posted by eaeolian View Post
                100% true. I far prefer the 3ch Triple to the 3ch Dual. In fact, I prefer it to *most* 2 ch Duals...

Comment

I agree. Some make it sound like headroom and volume aren't related, but I'm not sure I understand that. What value is more headroom if you don't wanna push the volume?

Comment

As I understand it, (put very simply), headroom is the difference between how much of the power section you're currently utilizing and its maximum output.

Headroom allows you to express / emphasize notes by changing your pick attack. Picking a string harder will make the note louder, unless of course you've already got the volume dimed to keep up with the band. In which case notes picked harder wont sound any louder than anything else your're playing.

Then again, I could be completely off base, but thats my simple understanding of headroom

later,

Steve
                    Guitars:
                    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                    Amp:
                    VOX AD30VT

Comment

That is part of headroom, most amps past a certain point do not get louder anyway, just more compressed as you turn up the volume. Most of the time people do not get the amp loud enough to even get to this point, as most of us here on the board are probaly playing little local clubs where they mic you and if you go past 3 they start getting made.

By the way, the most volume increase of a amp will more then likely be between 0 and 5 on the volume knob, like i said earlier, after that it does not always get louder, but more compressed.

Originally posted by UFORocks View Post
                      As I understand it, (put very simply), headroom is the difference between how much of the power section you're currently utilizing and its maximum output.

Headroom allows you to express / emphasize notes by changing your pick attack. Picking a string harder will make the note louder, unless of course you've already got the volume dimed to keep up with the band. In which case notes picked harder wont sound any louder than anything else your're playing.

Then again, I could be completely off base, but thats my simple understanding of headroom

later,

Steve

Comment

Thank you all for a nice, very helpful informations. This amp will be dedicated to play some nu-tone+heavy in a rather small place (I do not know how to translate to english -> the place where you play together with your band). But in the future it will be used on tour of course. At home I have Fender Deluxe 112.

Very interesting is "Solo" button in new Duals, but I think that similar effect will be if I combine it to Boss GE-7 equalizer. So I am still not decided Or maybe I should buy Voodoo mod ? :>
                        Let's try to fight with alcoholism! Drink more and leave less for others

Comment

All Rectifiers are good. Don't worry about mods until you have had one for a while. The adjustable footswitchable solo boost on the newer models is VERY handy.

Comment

If you get a 3 chanenl, first thing, if it is an older one and has the original mesa 430 tubes, get rid of them.

The new 3 channels are coming with the 440's which are alot better tube. The older 3channel version has 430's which are more buzzy.

Comment

Originally posted by siggy14 View Post
                              If you get a 3 chanenl, first thing, if it is an older one and has the original mesa 430 tubes, get rid of them.

The new 3 channels are coming with the 440's which are alot better tube. The older 3channel version has 430's which are more buzzy.
                              Siggy has good suggestions but I must state that if you have never been a Rectifier owner, get to know the amp before you start messing around with mods or tube swaps.

Comment

Working...
                              X