Speakers! Damn speakers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speakers! Damn speakers!

I've just went through 100's of threads on all the forums looking for speakers to put in my new 4X12. My head is spinning. The cab I have right now has 2 V30's and 2 G12H-30's(Ann.) and I'm looking for another flavour. .
    I need suggestions fast. I'm a classic rock guy that likes crunchy mids. Don't get me wrong, this set up is good for mids also but its just missing something. I like the sound of Schenker,Matthias Jabs,Dimartini,Lynch,Eddie and the boys.
    Help me pleaasssseeeee........
    http://www.soundclick.com/frtbzz

I think everyone you listed there besides lynch used the 75's. After using V30's for so long i have gotten back into more of a rock/hard rock mode and have fell in love with the 75's again. Will give you perfect 70's and 80's tone.

Lynch is the odd man out, from everything i have read, he used a combination of greenbacks and the G12H 30's that you already have. But i tell you i can nail alot of his tone useing 75's which celestion classify as a greenback on steriods with relaxed mids.

I would defintly take your head down to a gc or some other music store and just plug into a 1960 cab and see if that is the sound you are looking for, you will just have to play around and dial your tone.

Originally posted by War Admiral View Post
    I've just went through 100's of threads on all the forums looking for speakers to put in my new 4X12. My head is spinning. The cab I have right now has 2 V30's and 2 G12H-30's(Ann.) and I'm looking for another flavour. .
    I need suggestions fast. I'm a classic rock guy that likes crunchy mids. Don't get me wrong, this set up is good for mids also but its just missing something. I like the sound of Schenker,Matthias Jabs,Dimartini,Lynch,Eddie and the boys.
    Help me pleaasssseeeee........

Comment

PS even better see if they have a used cab with 75's as they will be broken in and warmed up better. I hate trying out cabs because new speakers do need a good breaking in period.

Comment

Originally posted by siggy14 View Post
        PS even better see if they have a used cab with 75's as they will be broken in and warmed up better. I hate trying out cabs because new speakers do need a good breaking in period.
        Thanks for the response. Its funny because I still have the 4 75's that I took out my cab to put in the v30's and G12H-30's. I'm really looking into the Greenbacks but there like 3 different kinds on their site not including 55Hz (bass cones) and 75Hz (lead cones)

Comment

Greenbacks will not really give you the tone you are looking for, they are very mid heavy and a great rock speaker, but for that 80's metal sound you are looking for, I would say put the 75's back in and give them a good try.

I have a 1978 cab with black backs, which are the same as greenbacks, basically they ran out of green stickers blah blah blah. Great cab, but i have thought many times of taking out the speakers and selling them thinking i could get some good money since they are vintage. However some guy on Ebay is selling the same thing and the opening bid of $400 for all four has not even been placed.

So I will probaly hold on to these for another ten years and see if the rate on them has gone on by then.

By the way, the G12H you have is suppose to be alot like a greenback with a better bottem end, so not sure if you will like them that much.

Thanks for the response. Its funny because I still have the 4 75's that I took out my cab to put in the v30's and G12H-30's. I'm really looking into the Greenbacks but there like 3 different kinds on their site not including 55Hz (bass cones) and 75Hz (lead cones)

Comment

The greenbacks you are looking for would be the normal classics which where the most common used in the 70's and 80's and 90's etc.. But i will tell you, over the years they have changed. I own my 78 cab with blackbacks and i have owned a newer Marshall cab with greenbacks, and the difference was pretty big, i actually preferred the newer cab.

This greenback is what they say was in the 60's cabs and the original design that got changed. I highly doubt many recordings you know where done with this speaker.

This one was originaly designed for bass players in the 60's, but as said in the statement alot of guitarists, including Hendrix used it, which doesnt surprise me, because if i remember right one of his main amps was a Marshall Bass head.

Comment

the problem with speakers is you can spend all day trying them out at all volume levels alone but the true test is using them in a band setting....same thing holds for amps as well.

Speakers that work for me are Celestion V30's & 75's. VHT P50E's and Mesa C90's. I have Emminence Guvnor and Man or wars in s Splawn cab that also are nice but I think they could be better but not enough right now for me to swap them out

you hear it all the time..man that x brand of amp or x brand of speakers is shrill as shit but damn...live it really cuts thru the mix you have t test sht out int environment that you intend to use them in in my opinion
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Two V30s and two G12T-75s in an X pattern sound great!
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  Two V30s and two G12T-75s in an X pattern sound great!
                  I just might have to try that. I'll dust of a couple of '75's and throw them in with the V30's.

Comment

Yeah, it really does make a difference. I'm not a huge fan of the V30s by themselves, but they mix very well with the 75s. The V30s have lots of mids, the 75s have more low end and slightly scooped mids.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have a chance to pick up a cab loaded with these.
                      1972 G12M T1511 w/014 cones.

Heres a few pics.

Comment

Working...
                      X