Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all Boss GT-8 users here... What amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all Boss GT-8 users here... What amp?

Hello everyone,

New Boss GT8 owner here. Got it last Saturday. I tried it for the first time last evening with my band, sounded good but as some of you may already know, the built-in amp control in the GT-8 is not compatible with the Marshall DSL serie.

I'm using my GT8 with a Marshall DSL50 using the 4 cables method and would have hope to be able to us the Boss to switch from my clean channel to my disto one but when plugged into the amp+GT-8, the footswitch cable introduces an annoying hum. Anyway, with some tap dancing and the regular footswitch of the amp, everything was working fine.

Oh well, back to the topic of this thread, I'm curious to hear from other Boss GT8 users, what amp do you use with it and do you use the 4 cable method?
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

JSX and Soldano SLO clone, 4 cable w/both.

Pete

Comment

Iuse a Voodoo modded JMP-1 in the effects loop of the GT-8 for my main tone. The GT-8 preamps are only used ocasionally for some boogie tones. The GT-8 is also my midi switcher for the JMP-1. The outputs of the GT-8 run into a Marshall EL34 50/50 into 1960 A 4x12 in stereo .

Mr Hiwatt
      Mesa JP-2c Mesa 2x12 V30
      RR1 Black
      RR1 Blue ghost flames
      Stealth EX
      Hamer Studio
      Boss pedals,TC, HBE

Comment

Originally posted by mrhiwatt View Post
        ...The GT-8 is also my midi switcher for the JMP-1.
        Thanks guys for your answers!

One more Q for you mrhiwatt, is the switching on the JMP-1 seemless or is there a lag???
        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I do not detect a lag. I'm not midi savvy. I made the patches on the GT-8 and watched what patch it changed on the JMP-1 to then I set the JmP-1 to my prefered settings. I think the GT-8 is capable to mapping but I never bothered to try it. I have been using the GT-8 for over a year now and have been happy with this rig. I don't use many effects just some chourous and echo.

Mr Hiwatt
          Mesa JP-2c Mesa 2x12 V30
          RR1 Black
          RR1 Blue ghost flames
          Stealth EX
          Hamer Studio
          Boss pedals,TC, HBE

Comment

Thats cool I just picked one up tonight. I have been looking for an effects processor that I could use a 4 cable method wiring. I didn't try the 4 cable method yet as I wanted to hear the patches in front of my amp.
            This weekend I will have to spend some time with it. I don't think I will be using the amp modeling. I didn't like many of the amp model tones. But I really didn't dig in yet.
            I really got it to send effects in my effects loop and maybe put some kind of OD in front of the amp to hear what kind of tone I can come up with. I also like that it has many different Distortion pedals built in. I can experiment again with different things to find some new tones. I like the ability that if I come up with a combo of effects, I can save it in a patch and recall it at will. Thats cool. You can't do that with Individual pedals. Another reason I went with a pedal board.
            I got many questions about this pedal board and If it's cool with the thead starter, I will post my questions in here as I go. If I get off topic of where this thead is going, I will start a new one.

The GT8 is a cool well built board and I'm gonna spend sometime reading the owners manual. I was excited tonight to hear it go so I just jumped right in. I did set the output but I didn't set the global tone settings yet but I think thats gonna really matter on my amp as it's bass heavy.

Good luck with your board and maybe we can learn it together.

Dan

Comment

O I use mine with a Krank Rev 1 combo. I'm gonna wire it up the 4 cable method this weekend.

Dan

Comment

Can someone explain to me in moron terms what the 4 cable method is?
                Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernXer View Post
                  Can someone explain to me in moron terms what the 4 cable method is?
                  Thanks!
                  You wire in your guitar in the IN on the Processor. Then from the SEND in the effects loop of the processor to the guitars amp RETURN. From the RETURN of the Processor to the SEND of the Guitar amp. The Processor also wires to the front of the guitar amp. This allows you to place effects where they need to go, allows you to use your guitars amp channels drive and clean in the mix. You can bypass the processors preamp section and use the processor like you would a bunch of effects pedals.

You want your lets say Distortion and OD pedals in front of your amp. The signals go out the out of the Processor to the front of your amp. Then the Chorus effect maybe some Delay and Reverb can be placed in the effects loop. Also where they should be placed. this is the best way to use such a device. Not many floor Processors can do this. If Line 6 made there XT live, I may have looked into getting that.

Comment

For All GT- owners

Comment

Thanks guys.... I am currently only using my GT8 recording into the PC. I appreciate the info. I am hooking it up to the amp now.

Comment

Man the GT 8 isn't that easy to use. I played with it alot today and figured out some things.Alot of the presets are not for me. I perfer to build my own patches.

Can someone go over the setup with the 4cm and using your amps preamp then the GT8 as eccects in the amps loop? Heres exaclty what I'm trying to do.
                        1) Use the GT 8 as a Distortion pedal. Putting all the cool pedals inside of it in front of my amps preamp clean channel.
                        2) Put Chorus, delay, reverb, etc in my amps effects loop.
                        3) once in awhile use the Boss GT8 as a preamp and skip my amps preamp driving my amps amp only.

This is how I want things to work and I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how to pull it off. If I want the Metal Zone distortion pedal in front of my amp, then chorus and delay in the loop, how to do pull it off???

Dan

Comment

I've got a GT8... it's actually very easy to use and get plenty of great sounds out of. I don't use the 4CM, though. Check out their user forum for lots of tips and tricks.
                          http://www.bossgtcentral.com/
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I plug my gt-8 into the front of my rivera m60. sounds killer. Have not needed to do anything further.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              I've got a GT8... it's actually very easy to use and get plenty of great sounds out of. I don't use the 4CM, though. Check out their user forum for lots of tips and tricks.
                              http://www.bossgtcentral.com/
                              I read more of the owners manual tonight and figured out some more things. I'm starting to agree with you, it's not to bad to use. It just takes some time to get use to the way it works. Saving settings is a breeze. I like that about it.

Tomarrow I'm gonna go to all the different effects I use and setup my user setting. So this way I can move them around in different patches and save em the way I want.

Comment

Working...
                              X