Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all Boss GT-8 users here... What amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smurfinator View Post
    I plug my gt-8 into the front of my rivera m60. sounds killer. Have not needed to do anything further.

Have you tried using your amps preamp instead of the models inside the GT 8? I'm trying to get that to go with my setup. My clean channel is fantastic with no effects. Before I used the Gt 8 , I used a Korg ax1000g for only effects in my effects loop. I didn't use any of the amp models or distortion/OD settings. It only was able to be wired in and out.

I'm excited to try the 4 wire method.

Comment

I had the GT-3 and still have the GT-5.
      I got them when they first came out.
      If your new to effects processors they do take time to figure out.
      Level matching is a must.
      The manual is so so in good tips and info.
      On the http://www.bossgtcentral.com/ , there is alot of info to digest.
      But it is worth it to read it all.
      I don't use the 4 cable anymore.(I did with my Mesa Boggie Nomad 55)
      I now run my guitar to a A/B box.
      A- goes to the GT-5 into 2 Roland KC100 keyboard amps.(stereo)
      B- goes to Boss SD-1 to JCM 800- 2x12 cab
      Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by finnman View Post
        I had the GT-3 and still have the GT-5.
        I got them when they first came out.
        If your new to effects processors they do take time to figure out.
        The manual is so so in good tips and info.
        On the http://www.bossgtcentral.com/ , there is alot of info to digest.
        But it is worth it to read it all.
        I don't use the 4 cable anymore.(I did with my Mesa Boggie Nomad 55)
        I now run my guitar to a A/B box.
        A- goes to the GT-5 into 2 Roland KC100 keyboard amps.(stereo)
        B- goes to Boss SD-1 to JCM 800- 2x12 cab
        Have fun.
        On your Marshall, do you use the effects loops for Pedals? Like Chorus, Delay and reverb?? I used to Run my amp like that with nothing in front.
        yes I'm new to Processors but not new to effects. I'm learning alot aboout the GT 8 and got my rig working great. I made a few patches with my clean channel and drive channel. I also made a few with the GT 8's different preamps like the Soldano Slo. Thats a pretty good sounding preamp and I bet the real thing would be killer. I perfer my Krank Rev 1 over all the Boss preamps but having the ability to program patches is what I dreamed about.

Dan

Comment

Tonite we have a rehearsal and I'm gonna try using both... My amp pre vs the GT8 pres... I wanna check it with my ears!
          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
            Tonite we have a rehearsal and I'm gonna try using both... My amp pre vs the GT8 pres... I wanna check it with my ears!
            I found that the Preamps in the GT 8 are nice but have atransistor type tone to them. Not saying it's bad but none of them have the clarity and warmth like my clean channel on my Krank rev 1. Tube preamps are what I'm used to I guess. I have owned them all my life and I'm used to the way they sound. I never cared for Solid State preamps. Nonetheless the Bos does a good job of Modeling alot of amps. Marshall uses tubes but some of the Marshall tones I got out of my GT 8 where very close.

Good luck man and report back please.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
              On your Marshall, do you use the effects loops for Pedals? Like Chorus, Delay and reverb?? I used to Run my amp like that with nothing in front.
              Dan
              My JCM Mark II Lead Series 2204 has no effects loop.
              Thats why I use A/B Box and the GT-5/Keyboard Amps to get some
              effects into the mix.
              When both amps are on, I can fade out the GT-5 with the Volume pedal on the GT-5 to kill the effects
              or turn off the JCM 800 (via A/B Box) when I want to use an acoustic patch or whatever patch on the GT-5.
              I get that killer Marshall sound + Effects without having to mod the Marshall.
              I only play at home so this rig is perfect for what I need.

Comment

I found that the Preamps in the GT 8 are nice but have atransistor type tone to them.

Good luck man and report back please.
                I have yet to really get into the preamps in the GT8... I've done it a bit with headphones and with my computer speakers but for me I got that multi FX to keep my Marshall disto. I love the way my Marshall sounds and I'm used to the dyanamics of my amp, so why fix it if it ain't broke.

Before getting the GT8, I was mostly using my Marshall DSL50 as a one channel amp, rolling my guitar volume to get a clean sound, as I was a bit disapointed by the fact that I could not use the "amp channel control" with the GT8 and the DSL50 (annoying hum buzz when the cable is connected between the 2 units), last evening at our rehearsal, I decided to try something: I created a patch with a "volume send" of the FX loop set to "2%"... You read it right, "2" (on a scale from 0 to 100)!

That way, it's like I've rolled down the volume on my guitar but with a simple foot click instead of physicaly doing it on the guitar!!! Add some reverb and chorus or any other FX you would like and voilà!!! It's easy to go from my amp with full disto to a not too bad clean with a simple foot click! Man, I was in tone heaven last evening.

I still have some more tests to do, as when rehearsing with my band, I don't have much time to spend tweaking but, the more I use that GT8, the more I like it!
                JB aka BenoA

Comment

Originally posted by finnman View Post
                  My JCM Mark II Lead Series 2204 has no effects loop.
                  Thats why I use A/B Box and the GT-5/Keyboard Amps to get some
                  effects into the mix.
                  When both amps are on, I can fade out the GT-5 with the Volume pedal on the GT-5 to kill the effects
                  or turn off the JCM 800 (via A/B Box) when I want to use an acoustic patch or whatever patch on the GT-5.
                  I get that killer Marshall sound + Effects without having to mod the Marshall.
                  I only play at home so this rig is perfect for what I need.
                  Ok cool. I thought about a A/B box pure bypass for a few things. I considered and really considering it due to I don't like how my Drive channel sounds when mixed in with the GT 8. My drive channel is so tight and powerful that I don't really use any effects on it at all. I use a sonic Maximizer once in a awhile for a different tone but It's not needed for most of what I do.

Comment

I noticed something yesterday about the GT 8, the sound quality changes at higher volumes. My sound actually sucked. It sounded like someone cranked up my mid range, colored my tone with all kinds of effects, it just didn't sound clear or natural.

I gotta work on it today as I'm disturbed with my tone. It sounded like a cheap transistor amp. In all my years of playing has my tone ever sucked. It's been better and worse depending on what I was usiing but nothing like it sounded yeaterday.

My old Drummer for the 80's came over and we jammed. Even he noticed the tone I had wasn't up to par with my usual tone. My amp sounds fantastic with the guitar plugged straight in. Which brings up another point, my drive channel is suffering going threw the GT 8 wired in the 4CM. I gotta figure this out or I'm getting rid of it. It's the coolest piece of gear I ever owned as I always used pedals. I did have a Korg Toneworks Ax1000g and I used it as only effects in the loop and it changed my tone ever so slighty but not like this man... Digging deep tonight

Dan

Comment

Might be a craptacular fx loop in your amp too, or a mismatch. GT8 sounds perfectly great through my JSX, my SLO clone doesn't sound as good, but it's not bad. Guy I know from another message board used a GT8 with a Diezel head and it was fine for him too, and he's picky as hell.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                        Might be a craptacular fx loop in your amp too, or a mismatch. GT8 sounds perfectly great through my JSX, my SLO clone doesn't sound as good, but it's not bad. Guy I know from another message board used a GT8 with a Diezel head and it was fine for him too, and he's picky as hell.

Pete

This maybe true but as cool as the GT 8 is, I'm will to figure out how to clean up my tone. The EQ settings I believe maybe doing some of it. I gotta mess around or turn it off. There is also a Global setting I'm gonna look into.Funny I can get my clean channel of my amp to work well but my drive channel is really suffering.

Question, what output level are you using on the main out and patch levels? I'm wondering if I'm over or under driving the drive channel???How do you use the output or input meter?

Dan

Comment

Question, what output level are you using on the main out and patch levels? I'm wondering if I'm over or under driving the drive channel???How do you use the output or input meter?
                          Hello Dan. I don't know if you use the 4 cable method (4CM) with your amp.

This is how I use my GT8 with my Marshall DSL50 (with 4CM):

Loop send/return level: 100
                          Patch level: 100
                          Output volume knob on the back of the unit, 2 o'clock if you look at it with the GT8 upside down.

I did not touch to the input level of the GT8, it is set as is and the global output thingy is set to "stack return" or something like this...

Hope this help.
                          JB aka BenoA

Comment

Read these tutorials on the GT-8.

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
                              Hello Dan. I don't know if you use the 4 cable method (4CM) with your amp.

This is how I use my GT8 with my Marshall DSL50 (with 4CM):

Loop send/return level: 100
                              Patch level: 100
                              Output volume knob on the back of the unit, 2 o'clock if you look at it with the GT8 upside down.

I did not touch to the input level of the GT8, it is set as is and the global output thingy is set to "stack return" or something like this...

Hope this help.
                              Yes I do use the 4cm . at low volumes it sounds good but when I crank it up is when I notice a over processed tone. I'm gonna upgrade my cables and try to use the advise with the better shielded cables. I also have the GT 8 switching my amp channels as I created patches that use my preamps.

I hope I can get better sound quality out of it as I really like it. Sound quality is first to me though. It can be as cool as it is but if it doesn't sound top notch it's getting out. I'm not giving up on it just yet.

Dan

Comment

I figured out a few things. The EQ setting where not where I like them. I modified it and placed it in the effects loop and I was able to improve on my tone. I also noticed that the GT 8 or my cables are noisy. When I turn off the Noise suppressor, I get some noise. I never had any noise before. I gotta re read that link and buy the correct cables. I'm using all Instrument cables for everything Including the amp control. I hope I can clean up the sound by buying better cables .

Comment

Working...
                                X