Line 6 has ruined the Flextone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line 6 has ruined the Flextone

Note: The following is ONLY my opinion and others may disagree.

I was in Guitar Center today (yeah, yeah, I know) because I want a small combo amp, preferably a Flextone. They had wall-to-wall Spiders, which I've never liked, but no Flextones. So, I decided to see if they had any used Flextones. Well, the guy went to the back and brought out a used Flextone III. I hooked up a Rhoads (forget which model) and checked it out.

I hated it. No matter what I did, it just wouldn't give me that warm, fully saturated feel like the Flextone, Flextone II, and POD 2.0 series. For starters, there is no "Manual" button. I felt like everything I set it on was being "colored" somewhat by presets. On the older Flextones and my POD 2.0, I can hit Manual, put it on Modern Hi-Gain (Soldano), set Bass, Middle, Treble, Drive at 3:00 or so, and bang....there's my sound within a few seconds.

Am I missing something here?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

You can put it on manual by double clicking one of the 4 channel select buttons. This bypasses the preset. I think that's what you're looking for.

Comment

The old Flextone/Pod 2.0 software is the best. I've had a Pod XT Live for over 2 years and I've spent 100s of hours playing with it through different setups and I've never got it to sound even close to as good as my Flextone heads...

Comment

Agreed. The older Flextones are better in too many ways. I've had the Flex III XL - twice!! I have the first Flex HD now (again - third time). I've got the POD 2 to back it up. Shouldn't need any amps for a good long time!

I could get good sounds out of the III, but it took more time and effort than the older Flex's, and still didn't have the same magic.

Comment

i also agree, i cant stand the new ones, I am perfectly happy with my POD's. I have two 2.0 pods, and I have a pod pro on the way.

The PODS i use for guitar lessons, one for me and one for my student. The POD Pro i have coming in will go in my rack and be used for cleans and for covers where i need to nail a tone. Other then that I will use my bogner or my recto for the dirt.

Comment

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the latest Podxt update actually included some models from the Flextone II/Pod 2.0. I wonder if they did this since a number of users (I've read the same comments voiced here in many places) agree about the tone of the Flextone II vs. III and the Pod 2.0 vs. the xt.

I have a Podxt and I feel like it was a step backwards in the feel/tone department on some of the higher gain models-the dual rectifier and JCM 800 especially.

However, I also have a Vetta and it is in a whole different league. Hopefully the next pod incarnation will see some of the Vetta technology/programming trickle down to it.

Still, for the money (particularly if you pick up a used one off of ebay), all of the pods are great. There are usually some Flextone's (of all series) to be had as well.

For a great bargain, hunt around for a used AX2. A friend bought one used from a local store for $250.00. There a still some great tones to be had in that model as well.

Comment

They're not cheap but if you want an absolutely bitchin' modeling combo I'd hit eBay for one of these. Hands down the best modeler I've ever played.
              Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Update: I picked up a Roland Micro Cube today. It's not quite a Flextone, but it has decent sounds and it's very portable, even battery-powered.

But yeah, they need to bring back the original Modern Hi-Gain model again.
                Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

i had an ax212 and it was a good sounding amp...however, there is a significant delay when switching channels, so beware.
                  it did do the best early metallica sound better than any other amp i've played.

Comment

Working...
                  X