N00b rack tuner question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N00b rack tuner question...

Stupid easy question for you guys...where do you run your rack tuners in your FX chain? Can a rack tuner read a distorted signal just as well as a clean signal?

A rack tuner (or any tuner for that matter) has never given me any problem in my signal chain. I always just put my tuner first in the chain so it doesn't get any signal but the guitar. But I've never heard of a tuner having problems with a distorted signal.

Comment

my korg takes its signal from the headphones out from my mp1 to avoid tone sucking.. and the mp1 always is running distortion ;-) and chorus and no tuning probs here.

Comment

Originally posted by DumpyWumpy View Post
        Stupid easy question for you guys...where do you run your rack tuners in your FX chain? Can a rack tuner read a distorted signal just as well as a clean signal?
        You'd think it would be the first thing.

joe...
        www.godwentpunk.com
        www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Great question actually.

Tuners are most usually tone coffins. I have the older top end Korg with visual note readout, I guess it's the DT-1 or 2, and I will not run my signal through it to the end result.

I run mine off a secondary output from my CAE3+se preamp. In the past, I've run it off of a second output that my wireless had. If your running a looper, just setup a loop for it and keep it out of the chain.

And although I do use the distorted signal as well, "technically" I truly feel they read a clean tone better and quicker. I feel that the distortion can offer extra harmonics that may influence the read...

Comment

In the past, I haven't run it in line at all. I too believed they are tone suckers. As of late tho, its either seperate by itself altogether and I tune only on breaks or in an A/B or A/B/C box split the off where the signal ends into into B or C (the tuner)
            I have a looper now tho where I can run two separate chains, so I may start trying that.

Comment

I too believe it's a tone sucker, so I don't run it in my FX chain. I use an A/B box and send signal straight to the tuner and that's it. Seems to work pretty well.

Comment

Cool thanks for the info guys! I'll have to see if my Flextone's direct outs still work when the amp is not in studio mode, seems like that would be the best place to put the tuner so as not to mess with my signal...

Comment

Any tuner is going to read a 'clean' signal better than a distorted or effected one, and it also is going to be more accurate with highs rolled off - either use the neck pickup or the bridge with the tone rolled down.

If you haven't already invested in a rack tuner, consider the peterson Strobostomp pedal tuner. It can be set for true bypass when it's not in the chain, or set to mute. I never really noticed any tone suckage with it active either though. And it's accurate enough (3/10ths of a cent) to be used to intonate your guitars.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                  X