Mesa 2-12 closed back v-30 or c-90?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 2-12 closed back v-30 or c-90?

Getting another 2-12 cab and want to know what the c-90 speaker sounds like in a closed back. Anyone hear these 2 and have an opinion? I will be getting a splawn quickrod(probably) or a uberschall again. Saw a band Disciple and the guitar player was using a quickrod but it sounded like a friggin modern monster not your 80's tones at all. Anyway thats why I might go quickrod as it seems to have a better lead tone then the uber but I'm concerned about the speaker cab. Just want to sound a little different then everyone else.

The C90's are voiced alot like celestion Lead 80's, slighty different but not much. Of course they can take 10 more watts per speaker. If you like the C90 sound they sound just as good and better in a closed back, same sound as open back but with more umph like you get out of a closed back cab.

I prefer the V30's over these speakers, or even better latley i have been digging the celestion 75's, just depends on the sound you are going for.

Originally posted by P I K A View Post
    Getting another 2-12 cab and want to know what the c-90 speaker sounds like in a closed back. Anyone hear these 2 and have an opinion? I will be getting a splawn quickrod(probably) or a uberschall again. Saw a band Disciple and the guitar player was using a quickrod but it sounded like a friggin modern monster not your 80's tones at all. Anyway thats why I might go quickrod as it seems to have a better lead tone then the uber but I'm concerned about the speaker cab. Just want to sound a little different then everyone else.

Comment

I MUCH prefer my Mesa 3/4 Back 2X12's (Black Shadow 90's) over the Rectifier 2X12 (Vintage 30's) I sold!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I ABd a Portcity Wave cab against a mesa cab and it sounded way better. Id go with that 2x12..... You can get custom colors and a v30s or greenbacks or 1 v30 and one greenback which will sound different than most players. Just My Opinion though.

Comment

C90's kick ass
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

The only disadvantage i see to this cab is if he decides to sell down the road he probaly will loose alot of money.

They look like great built cabs, but when it comes down to it most people want matching cabs to go with there amp head. That is why places like avatar, and this place will have enough to sustain there sales, but will never be huge.

Take a look at avatar used prices, they do not resell real well, which is a shame since they are a solid cabinet.

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
            I ABd a Portcity Wave cab against a mesa cab and it sounded way better. Id go with that 2x12..... You can get custom colors and a v30s or greenbacks or 1 v30 and one greenback which will sound different than most players. Just My Opinion though.

Comment

I absolutely love my Mesa 2x12 w/V30's... not so big on C90's. Many guys will chime in and praise the C90's over the V30's, but it's all down to personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by Robotechnology View Post
                I MUCH prefer my Mesa 3/4 Back 2X12's (Black Shadow 90's) over the Rectifier 2X12 (Vintage 30's) I sold!
                Why? Is there a big difference between closed and 3/4 back?
                "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Originally posted by siggy14 View Post
                  The only disadvantage i see to this cab is if he decides to sell down the road he probaly will loose alot of money.

They look like great built cabs, but when it comes down to it most people want matching cabs to go with there amp head. That is why places like avatar, and this place will have enough to sustain there sales, but will never be huge.

Take a look at avatar used prices, they do not resell real well, which is a shame since they are a solid cabinet.

Good point but I dont think he'll ever want to sell it after buying one. just my 2 cents. I heard these things A Bd against some of the highest end amp cabs and it blew them away. Mesa,matchless,genz benz etc. Marshall too.. I know of a Rivera amp player that got one because of the way it made his Rivera sound and Rivera amps sound awesome stock. You do have a good point though... Re sale prices on everything sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeStrat View Post
                    Why? Is there a big difference between closed and 3/4 back?
                    Yes there is... the louder you play the 3/4, the better it sounds. Cleans sounds are better and the tuning of the cab is just right for me with respect to lead and rhythm dirty tones. My prefered cab for my Flexi-50 head.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I've got a genz benz g=flex now ,you think with the c-90 mesa cab it would be a good combination? I want 2 2-12's and am thinking of going this route.

Comment

Originally posted by Robotechnology View Post
                        I second that!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X