Line 6 Spider Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line 6 Spider Opinions?

For a while now, I've been considering going with a Vetta set-up. But, as far as amps & effects go, I'm the kind of guy that needs to live with something for a while before committing to a purchase like that. So I'm thinking it might be good to pick up a used Spider on the cheap and try that out for an extended period before deciding on the Vetta.

- Looking for opinions on the Spider in general?

- What are the differences between the Spider II and III?

- Would living with the Spider be a reasonable "experience gainer" as to whether I'd like a Vetta? Or are they apples and oranges?

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Apples and oranges... the Vetta blows the Spider out of the water in both tone and functionality.
    I have a Spider II 212 and it's great for practice and small gigs, but very limited in the effects dept. No effects loop either.
    I haven't tried a Spider III yet.
    -Rick

Comment

Spider II = Volkwagen

Vetta = Porsche

do you get a VW to see if you would like a Porsche?
      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

+ everything they said...

Comment

just started working with the spider III's... so far so good.
          Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
          Amp... Pioneer
          Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

Yeah, I know the Spider isn't going to have all of the bells and whistles, flexibility, etc. of the Vetta. But are the patches and tones reasonably in the ballpark of each other, downgraded to cheaper "practice/bedroom amp" expectations? Just looking to get in the ballpark.

Oh, and BTW, some VWs and Porsches share chassis and platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
              Yeah, I know the Spider isn't going to have all of the bells and whistles, flexibility, etc. of the Vetta. But are the patches and tones reasonably in the ballpark of each other, downgraded to cheaper "practice/bedroom amp" expectations? Just looking to get in the ballpark.

For me, it isn't just bells and whistles. The Spider just doesn't sound as good. Since they're all doing modelling technology, I don't really understand why they can't just take the lesser sounds of the Spider and replace them with the better ones from the Vetta or older Flextones at the same price.
              Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post

yeah I forgot about that. but no, the patches and tones on any Spider are NOT in the same ballpark as the Vetta. sorry. I guess that's what you pay for with the Vetta.

plus, the Vetta sounds like a tube amp at volume (headroom and attack dynamics) and I've never heard a Spider that did.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                  Since they're all doing modelling technology, I don't really understand why they can't just take the lesser sounds of the Spider and replace them with the better ones from the Vetta or older Flextones at the same price.
                  They did, the models are called Flextone and Vetta. Seriously, if they did that, they would cannibalize their own sales of higher-end amps. Besides, the more expensive amps will be built with better components, speakers, cab construction, etc, which all cost more. No matter how good the modeling is, if the rest of the amp (+ cab/speaker) is made from less expensive components, it will never sound as good as the better-built amp.
                  My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

One other thing for comparison related to my previous post, since I've been amp shopping lately. I've been looking at the various Vox AD series combos. Anyone who has heard the AD30VT and the AD50VT will say hands down the 50 sounds much better. In fact that has been mentioned several times by various JCF members. But, the 30 and 50 have EXACTLY the same modeling/effects section. The only difference, besides total amp power, is the speaker and cab. The 50 has a more expensive 12" Celestion speaker and a larger cabinet. The 30 has a "Vox" 10" speaker in a smaller cabinet. Same modeling, but the tone of the 50 is just better. I'm not talking absolute volume here, but tone. That Celestion speaker and larger cabinet cost more, hence the higher price of the 50. To summarize:

Great modeling + cheaper components = less than great tone

Great modeling + better components = better tone than above

Bottom line, the Spider is the lower-end of Line6's amp line. Flextone's in the middle and Vetta at the top. No way is the Spider gonna compete with either and still cost the same. I'm not saying Spider's are bad amps for the money, just that they are in the "value" product range and should not be expected to sound as good as the higher-end models.
                    My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

I just recommended a Spider combo to my buddy who is learning guitar. I think they're great value amps, as noted here. with lots of cool tones. I'd have killed for an amp like that when I got my first guitar.

it's just the Vetta is in a totally different league, the cabinet design and structure, the dials, fit and finish, the custom Celestions (I have the combo) - you get what you pay for.

Comment

I bought a 30wt 1-12" spyder II last year for my boy..I love it..it's a GREAT practice amp..you can't beat it for the money..not at 150 bucks brand new if you can still find one in stock..

they dropped the prices when they came out with the Spyder III.s which to me are a bunch of horseshit..just played one the oter night at GC..they just added a bunch of "artist" programmed presets that I would never use anyway..I scrolled thru all of them and the only one I found somewhat useful was the "shredasuarus" or whatever it's called..

I can dial up my own tone thank you very much..and much better than any of those "so-called" SHITTY presets..fuck those presets, they all suck total ass..

if you can't dial up a tone better than all of those presets..you got problems..and your ears are so tone deaf..well it wouldn't matter what amp you play anyways..IMO!!

The spyder series are PRACTICE amps ..I guess you can record with them...they are not for band practice or gigs!!!

Yeah, you can buy a Roland Cube for twice the money..but why..it's a fuckin' practice amp!!!!!!

save the REAL money for the REAL amp..you know, the one you can actaually gig with over a loud drummer and shit..

Yeah..The line 6 syders are GREAT..but they are what they are..for keeping in practice while watching Judge Judy ..they do a great job for that..and for any style of music too..from country, to jazz, to VH to Nevermore!

The BEST practice amp I found for the buck..PERIOD!

Yeah the Cube sounds good..but they cost too fuggin' much just to noodle on..unless you steal one or find a used one cheap..

The tone I go for is a heavy VH sound..more like between Classic VH and Nevermore and that it does VERY well!!
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I gigged with a Spider II 212 for a year and a half - it more than did the job.
                          Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Originally posted by Sinistas View Post
                            I gigged with a Spider II 212 for a year and a half - it more than did the job.
                            REALLY????!!!!!

HOW?????!!!

Um...No way I could even imagine that...I mean NO FUGGIN' WAY!

Not saying that to be a smart ass..just sayin that because it's SO true!

Did you have a drummer..did he play with sticks or brushes..

I Play with my kids Spyder EVERYDAY..and I just played a 2-12 75wt the other day and had that thing about 80% cranked ..well I was encouraged by the GC guitar staff and I obliged..well I was "cutting heads" with some cocky punk..I won!

BTW..The 2 -12 Crate Combo that dude was playing was LOUDER..that's why I had to crank it as loud as I did..but it sure pleased many spectators who watched on..
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Spider II 30wt 112 $139.00 shipped at MF/

Comment

Working...
                              X