Amp Layering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Layering

(prostrates himself in reverence of the JCF oracle)

Hey guys..

So I was looking at this amp selector thing from Voodoo labs and it got me wondering about amp layering. How does this work? Could I run two heads through the same cab and blend their characteristics? Is it going to sound like crap?

Nope, you need a cab for each head. I think Steve Morse does something like this... one dry amp that´s on all the time and one with effects in the loop that he takes in and out of the mix.

Comment

well.. you could wire your cab for stereo, and if the cab has a divider.. say a 4x12 with a top and bottom half, you could probably get away with it..but it really would be more prudent just to have two seperate cabs.

Comment

The layering bit is really a bit misleading, since you basically just feed the guitar signal to different amps. You´d need to mic several amps and mix them at the board to get what I´d call layering. Which, incidentally, sounds absolutely massive if done right.

Comment

Vetta

Comment

The Line 6 layering-feature works very well, yes. I forgot about that.

Comment

you'll need multiple speakers/cabs and amps. I have the Voodoo selector and can use up to 4 amps at once....it creates a WALL of sound. Its kinda funny after playing 4 amps on at once blended together...the amps by themselves dont seem to sound as good
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Nice... Thanks guys. I'm going to give this a shot with my Uber and SLO 100. I'll post a clip when I figure it out

Comment

Go to www.hugeracksinc.com

That is the forum to go to on this kind of topic.
                  PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Something in the back of my head says that two amps sounding better than one is all about the volume/spacing of the sound and not actually the blending of the amp tones. But then again, I've never tried it, so I don't know. All I know is the Vetta one was interesting, but not too useful for me.
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                      Vetta
                      Or Boss GT-8.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I agree, it is also about how you hear, naturaly we hear in stereo, with two amps it is more natural. For the longest time i gigged with a Randell solid state going into a solid state power amp and it sounded massive because it was two amps in stereo.

You can also get the same effect by running two speaker cabs off one amp and keeping them about 5 to 10 feet apart.

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                        Something in the back of my head says that two amps sounding better than one is all about the volume/spacing of the sound and not actually the blending of the amp tones. But then again, I've never tried it, so I don't know. All I know is the Vetta one was interesting, but not too useful for me.

Comment

I use the Tonebone Switchbone to switch between my electric and piezzo acoustic into a California Blonde amp. It also allows me to run both together and I've played my guitar sending a clean signal to my amp plus another to the California Blonde Acoustic amp. Damn does that sound nice!
                          Time to go play some Dream Theater
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                          X