Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"tightening" the low end/palm mutes... LANEY GH100TI inside...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "tightening" the low end/palm mutes... LANEY GH100TI inside...

Hey fellows, I play in two bands :
    Hangman's Chair
    &
    Third Arm

And I used to use a Randall RH200 Head with BBE Sonic Maximizer + Furman PQ3 in the loop with Third Arm (thrashy/sludgy metal) but I finally grew tired of it's modern/high gain/solid state sound, and I'm leaning towards something less clean, but with a tight palm-muting low end chunk.
    I'm currently using my Laney GH100TI with Hangman's Chair (somewhat doomy/rock metal) and am totally satisfied with the type of sound I get with it for the band's music.

By the way, I use a floyded Jackson RR (maple neck, carved maple top and alder wings) loaded with a single TB6 in the bridge with third arm and a JJP (mahogany bolt-on neck and mahogany body) loaded with a single SH-6 in the bridge.

So, this afternoon I tried the Laney while rehearsing with Third Arm and while the core of the sound really appealed to me (open chords, sigle unmuted notes), all muted notes really lacked definition, attack and overall dynamics... I also felt, only when muting though, that it lacked a little gain for the kind of music I was trying to play with it.

My question is:
    Is there a somewhat simple solution to get a little more dynamics and chunk in the palm mutes with the same amp (of course), since using the same amp and overall rig for the two bands would really help me out...
    Btw, I could use this kind of tweaking in my Hangman's Chair sound as well, although it really isn't important for the sound of this band.

Thanks for reading this whole thing (if you did ) and thanks for your future answers...

usually if your trying to get a more tight sound, you want to decrease the bass frequencies a little bit.
    www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Comment

Boost it with an OD pedal.

Comment

Hail yesterday

Comment

guitar08man > thanks for the tip, I already tried that, in fact, even whit quite a flat EQ the sound ain't satisfactory for the thrashier sound
          sworn_enemy & VitaminG > any advice? I thought about trying one and was leaning toward the ZakkWylde MXR one, since a good friend of mine successfuly uses one with his Blackmore ENGL.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by sworn_enemy View Post
            Boost it with an OD pedal.
            +1
            Any tubescreamer, SD1 or bad monkey will do the job with an high level and low gain setting.

Comment

Cut some lows. Don't you have a bass player? A boost pedal might help a bit too.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                Cut some lows. Don't you have a bass player? A boost pedal might help a bit too.

Pete

Yes, that helped me a lot with my uberschall and my Marshall Rig with my BBE 422..I backed of the lows on the Bogner and the BBE with The Marshall..

I like a lot of low end too..but it will muddle up the palm muting..

I was just reading that John Petrucci runs his lows about 9:00 with his mesa, hardly any..as he stated in the recent GW.

I'm thinking of slamming the front of my Bogner with a stomp myself..for a lead boost with more harmonics..haven't tried that yet..

Bill Z
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I was just going to suggest popping an eq in the loop, dropping some lows & maybe goosing the mids a little. And then I changed my mind
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Tubescreamer in front.

I'd aim for a Maxon OD808, but the stock TS-7 is actually really good.

I don't like the Bad Monkey or SD-1 for this application, though.

Comment

I use an SD1 to do exactly what you described.
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

ZW44 all the way
                        "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

I've been using my AnalogMan TS-9/808specs for this purpose for quite awhile.

Comment

Most overdrives will work... I've used a bad monkey, Modded SD1 (keeley specs plus a few of my own) Modded TS7, scratchbuilt TS808 and TS9 modded clones. All work pretty well. if you're on a budget, a stock SD1 works fine as does a Bad Monkey.

Pete

Comment

My favorites are the Maxon OD9/OD808 and the MXR ZW44.

Comment

Working...
                              X