Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion on trading Engl for Mesa Mark IV

Well,

I've never had the opprotunity to play a Mark IV but from all the soundclips I've heard they sound phenomenal. I've got an Engl Fireball and Engl 4x12 Vintage cab, which I love, however, I really don't have the space (or need) for such a big rig.

I never play out and won't have time to join a band for at least another 2 years (tried joining one a couple months back and couldn't devote enough time).

The Mark IV combo appeals to me based on its size and tone. Also, the ability to convert it back to a head should the need arise is a big bonus as well.

What do you guys think? Should I sell my Engl stuff and pursue a Mark IV widebody combo?

Picture of Engl rig for reference (BTW, cab is loaded w/ vin30's and g12-h30's).

oh hell yes
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Dude that is a judgement call that must depend on your ears..both quality amps..

I think I would stick with the Engl myself..I had a Mesa MRK III long ago..

Mrk IVs seem to sound great.. Lamb Of God gets a tone I like from them..Plenty of Mrk IV users here "in the know" that can give you their spin on them..I hear great things about both amps.

My Mrk III sounded like Gary Moore's "Cooridoors of Power" to me..you know , more old school, but cool.

I'd stick to what you have..but like I said you need to try the Mrk IV and see if that pops your cork..

Good luck man,

Bill Z
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Dude, the mark iv is totally different compared to your fireball. The Fireball is a gain-monster, perfect amp for thrash and death metal. It got a good clean if you can balance the tones between channel 1 and 2, but it remain a gain monster, that's where it shines. The Mark IV is much more versatile but it cannot get into the fireball gain territory and also if you push it with some pedal it will sound always different. Both are great amps, but you must do the right choice depending to your music and your style. Just my 2 cents!

Comment

I guess I should add that I don't play death metal. I'm mainly play older Metallica, Ozzy, Megadeth, and some newer stuff (e.g., Lamb of God, Byzantine, Killswitch Engage). So, I need a variety and while I don't try to cop any certain persons tone, I do like how the Fireball sounds playing some of the older stuff. If you ever want to hear something killer....a Fireball playing War Pigs will absolutely blow you away.

My MAIN reason for looking toward the Mark IV is to reduce the size of my rig. I also have a Mesa Stiletto Deuce (which I'll probably keep) and a Randall RG100ES which I may keep as well. So, I'll eventually pick up another cab but it will be a 2x12.

I've got a custom built, solid black walnut, guitar cabinet (build by my Dad)coming next month that will take up all of my additional space so I need to find a way to make some room.

Thanks for all the input thus far. I really appreciate the response. I'm really torn on what to do. I love the Fireball and the way it sounds....but I need some space.

Comment

what does being in a band have to do with anything...I have 5 4x12's and havent gigged in a long ass time...I just never know when I'll have a stadium gig pop up outta the blue

I say if your happy with your tone to keep what you have. I like the Mark IV's but they can be a tweaking nightmare...if you have a lot of time to figure them out and remember the settinges they are great
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Hey, if you have a Fireball and a Stiletto your're set imo! Btw, I'm also a
              Fireball owner

Comment

i could never get the mark IV to really shine. i wanted one SOOOO bad....for SOOOO long. it never sounded the same two days in a row. i thought it would be awesome. it gave me a headache.

BTW - i LOVE tweaking amps, but the mark IV was too much!!!

keep your engl.
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                  what does being in a band have to do with anything...I have 5 4x12's and havent gigged in a long ass time...I just never know when I'll have a stadium gig pop up outta the blue

I say if your happy with your tone to keep what you have. I like the Mark IV's but they can be a tweaking nightmare...if you have a lot of time to figure them out and remember the settinges they are great
                  I'm with Shawn...I've got 5 4x12's as well and I haven't played out in over 2 years (and back then I just played through a half stack). I've got the same Fireball half stack as you and I love it...I've never been much of a Mesa fan and I agree with Shawn that they can be a tweaking nightmare.

- Joel
                  RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                  RIP Dime

Comment

the mark 4 has too many options for some people. they can do manythings well but you will most likely spend more time tweaking than playing.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Because of the other amps that you currently own... I would say go for the Mark IV. If you only play at home, you have plenty of time to tweak.

Comment

Wow. Never knew so much love existed for Engl on this site. I'm certainly not unhappy with the Engl, in fact I love the brutal simplicity of the amp. However, the overall space requirements are killing me.

Anyone ever mounted a 4x12 to the ceiling pointing downward?

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                          i could never get the mark IV to really shine. i wanted one SOOOO bad....for SOOOO long. it never sounded the same two days in a row. i thought it would be awesome. it gave me a headache.

BTW - i LOVE tweaking amps, but the mark IV was too much!!!

keep your engl.
                          +1
                          http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

From what I'm hearing, at this point, I'd lean more toward a M/B Ace than a M/B MarkIV. The Ace is supposed to be one killer amp!

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                              From what I'm hearing, at this point, I'd lean more toward a M/B Ace than a M/B MarkIV. The Ace is supposed to be one killer amp!

It is. Really killer.

Comment

Working...
                              X