No announcement yet.

Ada Mp1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After all these years of searching, the ADA MP-1 does it for me. Here is my rig:

I used to run it through the effects loop of the recto but I went out and got a pretty cheap Carvin tube poweramp. I am using a Quadraverb for effects.

+1 on what Rupe said, a BBE is a necessity.

I am using Vito Bratta's patches for the dirty sound and John Marshall's (Metal Church) patches for cleans (think the song Badlands). The chorus is so good on the MP1 that I don't even use the Quadraverb's chorus.

Comment

You may have not tried the MP-1 variant. It yielded me some posts as a result. You can also check under a user as well. I have posted in most of those.

I have one of each.. old MP-1 with the swappable chip to 2.0, MP-1 classic and the MP2. I just run a power amp with them.. a Peavey or a Carvin.. altho.. I have been wanting to try one thru a Laney AOR effects loop.
      I also run mine with a BBE.
      Originally posted by dinky kustom View Post
      yea i did,nothing turned up so..............? unless theres another way of typing ada mp1?
      Last edited by charvelguy; 12-06-2006, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
        There is plenty of gain on tap...anyone that needs more is most likely hiding poor technique.
        Exactamundo! Here's my ghetto rack of doom...

You simply cannot get a better preamp for the buck. This thing is easily comperable to a Triaxis or JMP-1. I just need a better power amp. I've been looking at the Mesa Boogie 30-30 or an ADA Microtube 200.

Comment

excellent info guys thank you all very much,yes i have a jcm 900/4500 50w head and i run a gt6 in the fx loop at the moment.the plan is to have the ada and the gt6 midi linked together.fun tone times ahead,again thanks for the replys.
          my kids go without food so i can collect guitars

Comment

Originally posted by tortfeaser View Post
            I am using Vito Bratta's patches for the dirty sound and John Marshall's (Metal Church) patches for cleans (think the song Badlands). The chorus is so good on the MP1 that I don't even use the Quadraverb's chorus.
            Any chance that you can share those patches? Vito is why I bought my first ADA way back in the dark ages

Comment

Well, there is a little controversy over what Vito's actual patches were. Since nobody can even find the man to ask him these days all the information is second hand.

Michael Wagner (the producer who also did Skid Row and Extreme albums using the ADA MP1) posted all his MP1 patches. They are on adadepot.com.

If you go to this Vito tribute page you can find a gear section where the webmaster just copied the patches down from Michael Wagner. Here is the link:

However, these are not the Vito patches I use.

I found a post on some message board a long time ago where a guy claimed to be Vito's tech and gave out Vito's MP-1 patches.

Tube Dist. OD1-7 OD2-7 Master-between 5 and 7 Bass-9 Mid-0 Treb-6 and Pres-9

Tube Clean OD1-2.6 OD2-2 Master-9.5 Bass-9 Mid-4 Treb-9 Pres-12 Chorus-2.7 and Rate 0.6

I use the distortion patch that this alleged tech gave out. If you dial these into your MP1 you will probably be a bit disappointed because the real secret is in the BBE. Vito's BBE settings were low contour-3 o'clock and definition- 10 o'clock.

Throw some EMGs into your Rands and you will have the "little fighter" tone.

Comment

Throw some EMGs into your Rands and you will have the "little fighter" tone.
                Blasphemy!!! I hate EMG's

Thanks...I'll give these a try. I'm surprised by the lack of mids and the amount of lows listed (especially with the low contour on the BBE turned up to 3 o'clock) but I won't knock it til I try it. I tend to run fairly flat EQ settings with the mids bumped a bit...this will be very different.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
                  Blasphemy!!! I hate EMG's
                  +1

Comment

all my p/u are emg

Comment

I have an MP-1 circa 1992 running into an Alesis Quadraverb, a BBE 422A and finally into a ADA B200S power amp. No MP1 mods. With ADA gone, i don't want to risk screwing up my unit. For me, the MP1 is a One Stop Shop for tones. Unfortunate that ADA went out of business. They made good stuff.

The Quadraverb seems to be a perfect match with the MP1 though complicated to figure out. I'm using only about 10% of what it can really do. The BBE 422A compliments the MP1, nicely. It really brings out the heaviness of the MP1 when playing Heavy Metal/Thrash.

The B200S [solid state] power amp was made to work with the MP1 and no other. I've always thought of the B200S as being an underrated amp. The 200 watt sucker is loud and built like a tank. It does a decent job with other brands of preamps but it really shows its stuff when connected to an MP1/MP2.
                      [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

thanks for the info mate

Comment

Working...
                        X