Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

yellow jackets? attenuator? little tube combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yellow jackets? attenuator? little tube combo?

Here's my deal: I have a 50 watt jcm800 combo in my dorm room. dont get to get to play it much b/c of schedule and volume. pre about 6, power about 2 (I'm usually on a boost pedal, so its a little louder than those settings would suggest). I will be getting a band together, or at the very least jamming with people next semester as my schedule has opened up.
    At home, I have a fender hot rod deville 4x10 and peavey vtm60 half stack. i used to be able to crank those whenever i wanted but we're now moving to an apartment. I ordered an epi valve jr a couple days ago.
    But now I'm thinking an attenuator would cover more bases. i could ge a weber mass for $100 and return the valve jr. that saves me $40, but then id put more play on all my amps which means replacing tubes and wear and tear. For $90, I could get yellow jackets and el84s in the marshall. If I had all my amps in one room, thats the only one I'd play. I could make do with low, low volume on the other 2 amps the rare occasions I'm at home, and I'd bring the Marshall home for the summer anyway. I'd be wary of losing the signature marshall tone though, which I know the el34s play a big part of (how do i even know if i have el34s versus 6550s? its an early 80s 4010 combo), or losing gigging volume. Thanks for the suggestions.

And because I know someone's going to say even 1 tube watt is too loud for a dorm room, everyone in my dorm can go fuck themselves. those assholes in the lounge outside my door make noise at all hours of the night and wake me up all the time. if I even got to play an hour a day in the afternoon at a moderate volume would be NOTHING compared to what they do, but I don't want to get into it. I mean what is this world coming to when a guy with a massive hangover cant be allowed to sleep in until dinner? im half joking about that, but i am (was) an architecture major and what little sleep you get is of paramount importance. rant over.

the epi valve jr is pretty fucking loud. i had two of them - fun for a small stereo rig. they don't get very dirty even cranked all the way - you'll still need a pedal.

yellow jackets won't bring your volume down any lower than the valve jr.

using an attenuator like a weber mass is going to sound like ass turned down that low.

your best bet is a line 6 spyder, roland cube, or a fender cyber champ.
    Last edited by hippietim; 12-05-2006, 01:36 PM.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

got the valve jr today. it has a really great sound on its own. Didn't respond well to either my twisteramps boost or my analogman metal zone. i cranked it for a good hour and a half until a few minutes ago (1030 at night) with no complaints. any suggestions on a good boost or disortion pedal to give me a nice classic marshall sound? I will experiment tomorrow with my boss se-70's distortions and overdrives.

Comment

PODxt
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Try a Roland Microcube, a pair of el84s through a cabinet is still going to be pretty damn loud. With a Microcube you can play at 4 in the morning and not be unpopular. I used to rock out with my ampeg VT40 in my dorm room (back nearly 20 years ago ), -just 40 watts but loud enough to get me in trouble!

Comment

Originally posted by Final Sacrifice View Post
            got the valve jr today. it has a really great sound on its own. Didn't respond well to either my twisteramps boost or my analogman metal zone. i cranked it for a good hour and a half until a few minutes ago (1030 at night) with no complaints. any suggestions on a good boost or disortion pedal to give me a nice classic marshall sound? I will experiment tomorrow with my boss se-70's distortions and overdrives.
            +1 I would like some more info. on this. I'm moving to an apartment in a week and will have my Crate XT120R, which has good high gain distortion and an ok clean channel (kinda sterile), but can't get a decent low-gain, bluesy sound or a "Fender-ish" clean out of it. I've thought about getting a valve jr. and pushing it with a bad monkey, tube screamer, etc. Any thoughts?
            Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I don't really know how to describe the sound it has on its own. Inspired me to play some bluesy stuff but I usually play with more grit in my blues sound. Not an all together clean either. Hitting powertube sweet spot in an apartment might be tough, like I said I crank mine past what a polite level would be. I got mine with free shipping for 140 for musicians friend. they have a 45 day return policy, so Id just order it and try it out.

Comment

Try an MXR Distortion+ pedal or an Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer reissue.

Comment

Working...
                X