Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Quad vs SansAmp?

I know what you're thinking: "Mesa Boogie vs. Tech21? Is he joking?"
    I wish.. Here's the deal: I'm borrowing a Mesa/Boogie Quad preamp and a Digitech GSP 2101 effects unit this weekend from a guy selling them, to decide if I want them a not. What I found out is I really wanna keep the Digitech but I haven't gotten around to testing the Quad properly yet.
    Anyway, I mentioned this at the local guitar dealer today and they said the Quad was, well they basically said it was a piece of crap and that they found it almost impossible to tweak out any good sounds from it.. I was kinda shocked they would slay such a fairly expensive piece of equipment just like that, but these guys are known for giving you their own opinion wether you happen to like it or not, even regardless if they have it for sale in the store themselves. Different people, differentt opinions I guess.
    Anyway, they said I should rather get a Tech 21 SansAmp. As I've stated in another post I like this preamp to, but I didn't think it would beat a Mesa?
    Oh, and one guy would rather have me buy some of TC Electronics stuff instead of the GSP 2101, but I doubt that happening cause I REALLY like the GSP 2101. He said TC have better fx and that the Digitech will eventually break or something because it's a Digitech.. Uhh..
    Are they just being prejudice, or does anyone here think there really is something to what they said?
    "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Would the local guitar dealer just happen to sell SansAmps?

Pete

Comment

The PSA-1 has some evil distortion tones that you cant get with any other preamp. It has some really cool blues sounds, too. I dont think I will ever sell mine.
      On the other hand I wouldnt want it to be my only preamp/amp. It tends to get boring over time because the sound is kind of one dimensional and lacks the depth of decent tube equipment.
      With a tube preamp you can use all the other mojo stuff that is out there like boutique tubescreamer clones and boosters or a SansAmp pedal to get the sound you want. With a PSA1 you're very limited.

I'd say: buy the quad. You can always sell it for a good price and get a PSA1.

Comment

The Quad sounds similar to the Mark IIC+/III. Personally, I think the salesman is a complete moron.

Comment

Don't listen to them. The Quad is a great preamp, plenty of good tones in there. If they can't get good tones from the Quad then they either don't know how to use it or it needs repair. The Sansamp is decent but it's not going to get you the tones that the Quad will. T.C. Electronics does make some great units but the Digitech 2101 has some very nice fx in it and at a lower cost.

Comment

Sansamps are fun if you can't afford the real thing. Decent approximations of the amps they're modelled after.

But I doubt anyone would choose one over the Quad.

Comment

As much as I wanted to like it, I've used the quad and wasn't impressed. Boring and not exactly amazed with it. Not at all heavy enough. Seems Kirk hammet used one a bit, but I didn't quite get that sort of tone out of it.

Bought the Sansamp, hehe... So, I guess I choose it over the quad. Pretty cool I guess. Used it for a year doing shows. Sounds like Alexi Laiho on Sinergy stuff. Lotsa crunch and edge, nice cleans, but missing something nonetheless. Yeah, one dimensional would somewhat describe it. Definitely has it's use in my toolbox tho.

Went to a Voodu valve, quite heavy... Liked that for quite some time. Very cool for my needs.

Then Bought a CAE 3+se... It's very cool and seems to be staying Definitely.

Comment

Thanks for your input guys.
                Pete: The dealer sells both SansAmp and Mesa's. Actually they've got more Mesa gear than Tech21 products as far as I could see.
                I've tried the SansAmp and I have to agree, some of the tones are absolutely CRUSHING. But, i would be nice to have some versatility and the Quad gives you the oppurtinity to change between several different sounds (i.e. clean/dirty, lead/rhythm etc) and eq-settings by the click of a button on the floorboard that comes with it.
                It seems like a very versatile amp, but opinions seem to vary..
                Hmm, tough one
                "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Both make great products, but I'd go with the SansAmp over the Quad myself.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I wonder where you guys are getting your crack from.
                    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

my "crack" comes from the "ownership crackhouse"...i know you think that the quad is the most ultimate thing in the world, but i found mine to be incredibly difficult to tweak and work with. the sounds were prety good, but only pretty good on the best day. after mating it with a variety of poweramps (rivera hammer 120, mesa strategy 500) i dumped it and got a mark IV.

of the two, i'd say try the quad (maybe you'll get lucky like GOR), if you think it is sub-par you could flip it and get something else!!
                      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

That's respectable. It's highly susceptible to the slighest rotation of the dials, as well as tube selection. Definitly not a plug-and-go amp. With all the Mk IIC+ hype and what have you, the Quad is just the best way to go. Ch1 through the older styled 50/50 pretty much IS a IIC+, no simul though.

Comment

i havent tried any Mark series amps, or even a Quad, but from the amount of kick ass tones ive heard from them over the years id have to say if you want versatility get the Quad. you can always sell it for what you paid for it and get something else if it doesnt do it for ya.

i myself own the PSA-1, and i love it. its got a good bit of different sounds in it, but they all sound similar...the Marshall sounds have a Marshall tinge to them and are pretty bright, while the Mesa sounds are darker and thumpier...however, they all have a distinctive "Sansamp" sound to them, no matter what. its brutal though...great for metal IMO, and probably THE metal preamp for me. i love bright tones (think Randy Rhoads, Alexi Laiho...whos sound is basically a lot like Randy's LOL) and the PSA-1 does tones like that no problem, so its a no brainer for me to have it in my toolbox.

the controls act a bit differently than a normal amp though...if the sound is too thin, try turning down the Preamp control and upping the Drive control. that adds a bit of fullness and thump, and retains the amount of distortion you had with the Preamp control. turning the Buzz down will make the low end a bit tighter (and reduce buzzy type gain). i generally crank the High control, put the Bass around 3-4 o'clock, Drive around 3-4, punch about midway, crunch around 1 o'clock, buzz 9:30. very nasty tone (patch #8 btw). perfect for some Bodom or any Scandanavian type metal
                          My metal band Lucian Scott
                          Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                          Available Now!
                          New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post
                            I wonder where you guys are getting your crack from.
                            I think you're the one that's on crack, since this thread was dead for 11 months. Nice resurrection, crackhead! :ROTF:
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              I think you're the one that's on crack, since this thread was dead for 11 months. Nice resurrection, crackhead! :ROTF:
                              I honestly do wonder how I wandered into this thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X