No announcement yet.

Bill Z Bub's..Peavey JSX VS VHT Pittbull review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll have to play one. I kind of liked the XXX and the 5150 amps I tried, but nothing like my Soldano. I also went through quite a few Marshalls,,,selling off my TSL100 fuzz buzz head for a Soldano HR50+, and finally selling that for the SLO. But unlike you, I'm more of a Scorpions, Van Halen, Lynch Mob, Nuno, White Lion. Reb beach type guitar obsessive.......so I only put the gain on my SLO at about six and it is everything I ever wanted. ( I do still boost with a Boss SD-1 for leads though, cuz I like a little more hair for leads but not rhythm) So the JSX has even more gain than the SLO? Not surprising,as so does the XXX and 5150. So cool,,,I will try one out next time I'm in a store that deals peavey. But here's a plug for Soldano.....I will NEVER part with the SLO, and for those who have never played one, do so soon. It is simply beyond description. Liquid tone factor. And most companies currently dealing in great high gain amps have ripped off the original SLO in many ways,,,Peavey included. (can we say 5150.......). They physically dissected Eddie's Soldano SLO cuz he loved it so much, but wanted to put his name on an amp. And it ended up in a different ball park.

Comment

Thanks for a very useful review. The JSX sounds pretty cool.

I've been half-thinking of getting one when I finally get a tube amp. Can anyone compare it to a Mesa Stiletto (new version, as I like gain), in general, and particularly in terms of going for tones from VH1/Fair Warning to Zakk)?

Comment

Man this is just what I needed to read! Next year is the year I buy my first 'grown ups' amp and I've been teetering on what to get. Between Bill and Twisteramps I'm friggin' sold on the JSX, I HAVE to try one before buying anything. I was intrigued by the randall rm series stuff, and the vetta aswell, which still is a front runner, but if the JSX has enough gain for the 'zbub its gotta be rockin'!

'From Dime to Satch is one box' is my goal, so its gonna take both some gain and alot of finesse, which should also breed my own sound. Cant wait!

Comment

I've come real close to trading in my 5150 combo and my B-52 combo for a JSX several times. With the right guitar you can get a great VH tone out of the crunch channnel and on the lead channel you can dial in a pretty good "heavy modern" tone. I need to sit down with one of these again and rally put it thru it's paces.
          I'm actually surprised you like this amp Bill. I didn't think it would be "thick enough" sounding for you.
          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I will have to try one too. The few I have heard live sounded pretty bad. Thin and lifeless. Especially when they were sitting next to a Mark III and a Single Rectifier in the mix. I will certainly give the JSX another shot though. The players here who like them have my respect for having a good tone ear.

Comment

they have active EQ's John, so it's real easy to make them sound like shit.
              I've played thru 2 so far, one sounded amazing and the other sounded just like you described, "thin and lifeless", That's what has kept me from making a move on one of these.
              Plus I really love my 5150 so I need to be completely sold on one of these before I part with it.
              The one that sounded amazing had 6L6's in it.
              I don't know what the other one had in it.
              Last edited by kmanick; 12-09-2006, 12:01 AM.
              If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Originally posted by lynchfan6 View Post
                Sell a Soldano SLO for a JSX?????? You'd better spend some serious time with them side by side before taking that route. So many a Soldano owner dumps their amp for the next new hype, and only goes back to it later and wastes more money. I'm sure the JSX sounds great, but the SLO is legendary.....amazing. Now, owning both may be cool, but to dump the Soldano for one may not be a good quick decision. And this is coming from a Soldano SLO100 owner, not just someone who has heard one plugged in at a store. To me, it can be fun to add to an amp collection, but not at the expense of dumping one of the finest items possible to put in that collection. I love my SLO!

I love my SLO too. I have owned two rack heads at once. I have sold off every head I a/b 'd it next too. a few 5150's, a few Boogies, a few Marshalls... Genz Benz Diablo ... Just to name a few as there were at least a dozen that I have compared it with the Soldano and while some were really good they lacked the clarity. Of course I would keep the SLO and buy a used Peavey and tool around with it to see if it was built for me. The ones I have played at GC did kick ass and left a great impression. A few times I raced home and plugged into my amp to try to see if I could dial in a little bit of the JSX into it. It has made me curious to say the least. The Bogner Ecstacy is another one that has made me curious ( played one for an hour but it was to $$$$ for me to take home) but the JSX on the used market is a bargain.

From what you posted about the tones you like it sounds like we have similar tastes. I keep my gain on 6 too and slam it with a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster for leads. I used to use a SD1 but found the SDPB to be a really nice match with the SLO.

Comment

Originally posted by siggy14 View Post
                  Bill, which VHT was it, the classic or lead? I have played both and i tell you now the lead blew away the JSX in metal.

Hey Sigs, It was the classic..with Grapiic EQ. I REALLY lied it and played that one first..I had a blast playing it and it sounded very warm..ala Clasic VH but a tad "heavier"..

after that I plugged into the JSX..went right to the high gain channel and tweaked it for about 2 minutes or so and that amp and I just "clicked'..it was more "responsive" to my playing than the VHT..and I discovered that instantly..it just grabbed me really..we just got along very well..
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Nick, and guys..This was my VERY first time trying the JSX..I tried many amps and was NOT impressed at all for years on end. The tried and true standards such as Soldano, VHT, ext..are very fine amps..and I'm not encouraging anyone here to sell their beloved SLO ..oh hell no!!

I wouldn't sell my Uberschall for the JSX..they are apples to oranges..and sound nothing like each other..

The with the resonance and low controls I got a pretty chunky tone from the JSX without the assist of a BBE 422 which I always ran with my 5150's..I found that the JSX didn't have more gain than the 5150..just more "usable" gain that was well enough for me to not rely on a TS-9/SD-1/DS-1 and ect..the highs can get prett sharp and edgy which makes divebombs and those big ass squeals a breeze..it really excelled in that area. It actually did them as good as my beloved Marshal rack consisting of the original 9200 monobloc w' 5881s/JMP-1/JFX-1..which Gives me a very genuine classic VH tone, amoung all the 80's classic..Ratt/Dokken/Savatage..to more modern tones such as Death/Eidolon..the JSX will cover this territory and that is familiar ground for me..The first riff I played was "Ain't talkin' 'bout love"..that's always one of my "tweak" riffs..I go for that and then push the gain within the limits of usuable tightness and then ..I unleash the fury ala..Dimebag, Zakk, Satch, Bill Z Bub..with the pings, squeals, dips and dives..which the amp seemed to like ..it liked everything I threw at it.

I didn't find the JSX "thin" at all, I played thru alot of my palm muted original stuff with ease and like I said..I would definitely investigate the BBE 422 immediately, which would beef up the lows big time..I coaxed a very Nevermore-ish/Arch Enemy tone from it..but that's the style I play.

I'm used to my Uberschall with the gain maxed..I hear that tone in my sleep..so I dialed in what I'm used to hearing/feeling..it's NO where as girthy and organic as my Uber, but for a amp you can grab used for 800 bucks..you can't beat it..IMO!!

It's much tighter, and livelier than the 5150, which always seemed a little "dead" in the lead department..5150s are cool as hell, I always swore by them all these years..but they just don't "sing" like a good Marshall/SLO/Bogner..the JSX is much closer to that..than the 5150 IMO!

Ironically, It much more classic VH than the 5150..and I KNOW classic VH..I think this has been established 10 times over, I'll post those damn clips again if I must..

The JSX sounds like what Ed's sig amp should have sounded like..this is much closer to that Soldano/Marshall tone of his back in '90..but with enough usuable gain on tap to make me smile.
                    Last edited by horns666; 12-09-2006, 11:32 AM.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

OK that explains alot, i was gonna say there was no way the JSX had more gain then an pittbull utralead, because that thing just sobs with gain, if you played one i think you might have second thoughts of your uber.

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                      Hey Sigs, It was the classic..with Grapiic EQ. I REALLY lied it and played that one first..I had a blast playing it and it sounded very warm..ala Clasic VH but a tad "heavier"..

after that I plugged into the JSX..went right to the high gain channel and tweaked it for about 2 minutes or so and that amp and I just "clicked'..it was more "responsive" to my playing than the VHT..and I discovered that instantly..it just grabbed me really..we just got along very well..

Comment

So what is the big differance in tone between the XXX and JSX? Since Joe said he like the XXX but just wanted to add some extra options to it.

I know one thing that makes the XXX a metal machine and thats running it through a 5150 cab...Night and day. I like it with the matching cab but the 5150 cab makes it less puffy sounding and more like a fat 5150. I have been waiting for a used one to show up ever since my drummer let me use his at a show. The sound coming out of the 5150 dominated my other cab...No contest...Tighten it up, right straight.

Another thing is...I like the 6l6's better than the EL34's...I know most people told me the EL34's are better but I ended up switching back to the 6l6's.

But yeah...I know there must be quite the diff...I was just wondering where the difference lies...for the most part.
                        Last edited by sevser; 12-09-2006, 01:01 PM.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Originally posted by siggy14 View Post
                          OK that explains alot, i was gonna say there was no way the JSX had more gain then an pittbull utralead, because that thing just sobs with gain, if you played one i think you might have second thoughts of your uber.
                          Second thoughts.. about my Uber loaded with the Tung Sols ..dialed in by me for 4.5 years..whew, bro..I don't know..even Cleveland Metal knows my game and VHT wouldn't be the ticket for me.

My dude from Beyound Fear just came back from tour from Europe and Mexico..is currently endorsed my Engl..and played VHTs, Framus and Deizels..he pretty much has any amp at his disposal..

After playing my Uber juts once jamming with my kid on drums..he called Bogner and is in the process of getting a Bogner endorsement as we speak..his number #2 choice was a Deizel..so

I think we are coming from two different schools and styles here..I'm not a "Rock N' Roll, "Classic" metal kind of player..not at all..

I'm always on 10 and my maxed gain, Tung Sol loaded Uber delivers those goods in spades..in fact I actually write riffs around my Bogner's tone..it's a big part of my inspration and writing process..Brutal is as brutal does..

We don't have the same hands or style..what I make a Uber sound like is well..lets just say it certainly works for me...I never been happier in my life...I NEVER heard a Bogner "clip" that sounded better than my tone, I should post "clips" for Bogner..and I may.

A lot of credible tone guys here are still chasing what I have already caught, kept and let go..just my observation.

I'm certain the VHT lead series is great, and I've prolly played one..I played many VHT heads in my time..I perceive you as a pretty credible amp guy and told others so, just recently ..but, you had a Uber and it just didn't fit your needs..obviously our needs is completely different...and that's cool. Most guys with Ubers ALWAYS tell me "you can NOT max the gain on a Uber"..as I laugh ..because that's exactly where I NEED to be to do MY thang..it just works and I make it sound great!!!

Nah, The Uberschall is a big part of my band "Bed Of Nails" sound..just as my singers voice and my playing style/writing...I MUST stay with what works.

I'll try one when I'm there next time..I'm always open to try stuff..but I know what I like, but I KNOW what I have.

Bill Z Bub
                          Last edited by horns666; 12-09-2006, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sevser View Post
                            So what is the big differance in tone between the XXX and JSX? Since Joe said he like the XXX but just wanted to add some extra options to it.

I know one thing that makes the XXX a metal machine and thats running it through a 5150 cab...Night and day. I like it with the matching cab but the 5150 cab makes it less puffy sounding and more like a fat 5150. I have been waiting for a used one to show up ever since my drummer let me use his at a show. The sound coming out of the 5150 dominated my other cab...No contest...Tighten it up, right straight.

Another thing is...I like the 6l6's better than the EL34's...I know most people told me the EL34's are better but I ended up switching back to the 6l6's.

But yeah...I know there must be quite the diff...I was just wondering where the differance lies...for the most part.

Well like I said before I heard a pretty good metal shredder going at it with a XXX, and I was standing right there..I watched him dial it in..I didn't play it..but I remeber liking the 5150 better at that time..and quickly lost interest in investigating the XXX further..

This time was quite different..I liked the JSX better than the 5150 instantly..right out of the box..and everyone KNOWS what I've always thought of the 5150..so.

Yes, I do like 6l6 better than El34s in general, and assume I'd like those in the JSX..but if I install anything else with more lows in the Bogner..it'll be a fuggin' dirty bass amp..

Comment

The ultra lead is defintly not a classic metal amp, high gain monster and very tight. I remember playing it once in guitar center for a few hours and was floored by it. Went back a month later and they were no longer dealing with VHT, of course back then i hadnt played a uber yet so i am not sure how they would compare side by side.

Uber is a great amp, not sure if i will regret selling mine or not, either way i can always get another some other day if i feel like it, i am not really held down by money restraints right now, just do not see the need to have two brutal metal amps when i do not play that style that much anymore.

Anyway like you said to each there own, either way they are both killer amps and if i had the room and unlimited money i would own one of every damn amp i ever wanted.
                              Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                              Second thoughts.. about my Uber loaded with the Tung Sols ..dialed in by me for 4.5 years..whew, bro..I don't know..even Cleveland Metal knows my game and VHT wouldn't be the ticket for me.

My dude from Beyound Fear just came back from tour from Europe and Mexico..is currently endorsed my Engl..and played VHTs, Framus and Deizels..he pretty much has any amp at his disposal..

After playing my Uber juts once jamming with my kid on drums..he called Bogner and is in the process of getting a Bogner endorsement as we speak..his number #2 choice was a Deizel..so

I think we are coming from two different schools and styles here..I'm not a "Rock N' Roll, "Classic" metal kind of player..not at all..

I'm always on 10 and my maxed gain, Tung Sol loaded Uber delivers those goods in spades..in fact I actually write riffs around my Bogner's tone..it's a big part of my inspration and writing process..Brutal is as brutal does..

We don't have the same hands or style..what I make a Uber sound like is well..lets just say it certainly works for me...I never been happier in my life...I NEVER heard a Bogner "clip" that sounded better than my tone, I should post "clips" for Bogner..and I may.

A lot of credible tone guys here are still chasing what I have already caught, kept and let go..just my observation.

I'm certain the VHT lead series is great, and I've prolly played one..I played many VHT heads in my time..I perceive you as a pretty credible amp guy and told others so, just recently ..but, you had a Uber and it just didn't fit your needs..obviously our needs is completely different...and that's cool. Most guys with Ubers ALWAYS tell me "you can NOT max the gain on a Uber"..as I laugh ..because that's exactly where I NEED to be to do MY thang..it just works and I make it sound great!!!

Nah, The Uberschall is a big part of my band "Bed Of Nails" sound..just as my singers voice and my playing style/writing...I MUST stay with what works.

I'll try one when I'm there next time..I'm always open to try stuff..but I know what I like, but I KNOW what I have.

Bill Z Bub

Comment

The VHT's are definitely not suited for Bill. He's assuredly an Uberschall sort of guy, for sure. VHT's are tight and classic sounding, and that is far from Bill's gig at this point in time.

VHT's are definitely VERY nice, just not what he needs. I can't use what he likes for my needs, his Uberschall is tighter than a MESA or whatever, but me playing his stuff is like running through sand for me. But when he plays it it sounds great. Just like a lto MESA guys sound great and I can't through them. Just my style etc... My CAE3+se is tight yet brutal, so I did it perfectly for my uses for the most part.

That said, I gotta check out the JSX...

Comment

Working...
                                X