No announcement yet.

Bill Z Bub's..Peavey JSX VS VHT Pittbull review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looked at the online user guide for this...pretty sad in my oppinion. However, I do have a couple of questions.

1. Has anyone performed a BIAS on this amp. It looks pretty easy but it would nice to hear from someone who actually did it.

2. Footswitch modification. The footswitch operation is really crappy. For example, if you want to use the lead/crunch channel, you need to first hit the clean channel bypass button. No offense, but when you're on stage and want to go into a solo, you don't need to pressing all these buttons.

thanks!

joe....
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

1. BIAS is super easy indeed. A good voltmeter and a small screwdriver is all you need. Locate the four small pins on the backside (remove the back grill), put new tubes in, let it stay in the idle (but not standby) for a couple of hours, then set both sides to 94mV, adjusting the two screws. Remember that adjusting one changes the balance on the other side, so there will be a few iteration. Remember about the electrical safety, if you are not comfortable with this - seek help.

2. ???? Am I missing something on the footswitch? You just hit lead or crunch button directly, and go into that mode. No need to do anything on the clean channel side. Joe, it does sound wierd, looks like something is mulfancioning in your amp. No need to modify anything (unless somebody did it prior to the switch, then just 'undo' the mod). It is just a regular floorswitch, works exactly as any other out there.

As for the loop, I recall we discussed this. Again, I'm not sure what is that with your amp. I am using either G-Major or Intellifex in the loop, and there is no realistically detectable sound degradation. The effect loop in the TSLs is well designed, using OPS amps, just like it is done in the pro FX units. So compatibility is not an issue there, unless something is broken.

Hope this helps.

Comment

For clarrification: I do not own a JSX but am interested in doing so. I do own a TSL100.

Originally posted by akoch View Post
        2. ???? Am I missing something on the footswitch? You just hit lead or crunch button directly, and go into that mode. No need to do anything on the clean channel side.

From the JSX owners manual:

"35) ULTRA/CRUNCH SELECTOR
        This switch selects between the Ultra and Crunch channels on the amplifier. The adjacent LED will illuminate when the Ultra channel is selected. When the LED is dark, the Crunch channel is selected.
        The CLEAN SELECTOR (36) must be in the BYPASS mode to activate either the Ultra or Crunch channel."

Maybe the doc is wrong... Wouldn't be the first time
        (ie Also from the user manual -- Features • Three 12AX7 preamp tubes) :ROTF:

joe...

www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

Originally posted by akoch View Post
          1. BIAS is super easy indeed. A good voltmeter and a small screwdriver is all you need. Locate the four small pins on the backside (remove the back grill), put new tubes in, let it stay in the idle (but not standby) for a couple of hours, then set both sides to 94mV, adjusting the two screws. Remember that adjusting one changes the balance on the other side, so there will be a few iteration. Remember about the electrical safety, if you are not comfortable with this - seek help.
          94Mv??!! I'm not an amp tech or anything, but I've had my 6L6's as high as 50Mv and EL34's somewhere in the forties, but 94? I would think if the idle is set that high, the amp would melt...

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
            94Mv??!! I'm not an amp tech or anything, but I've had my 6L6's as high as 50Mv and EL34's somewhere in the forties, but 94? I would think if the idle is set that high, the amp would melt...
            I think on a 100 wat system, because you have two tubes per bank, you need to double that of what a 50watt amp would be. I set my 100watt Marshall anywhere between 87-92mv.

joe...
            www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

There ya go... I don't know what I'm talking about

Carry on...

Comment

I'm glad you guys know the shit..right on..
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Hey, does anyone here with a JSX run it through a 2x12 and can suggest a good one? I know the JSX sounds good through the Peavey 4x12 but I would prefer a 2x12 if I got one.
                  Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I've got a somewhat "dumb" question but the JSX is 120 watts.
                    my Marshall cab (1960AX) is 4 X 25 watt greenbacks =100watts.
                    Can I run this head into my cab without blowing out a speaker?
                    if yes could I dime the master volume and Run it into a hotplate and
                    then into my Marshall cab? Or can I only run this if I keep it at a 'reasonable" volume?
                    Or am I better off getting a cab that can handle higher wattages(although this Marshall cab ain't going nowhere )
                    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Joe, I misread you and did not realise the question was about the JCX's bias and footswitch. 'Ops'.

Comment

Originally posted by kmanick View Post
                        I've got a somewhat "dumb" question but the JSX is 120 watts.
                        my Marshall cab (1960AX) is 4 X 25 watt greenbacks =100watts.
                        Can I run this head into my cab without blowing out a speaker?
                        if yes could I dime the master volume and Run it into a hotplate and
                        then into my Marshall cab? Or can I only run this if I keep it at a 'reasonable" volume?
                        Or am I better off getting a cab that can handle higher wattages(although this Marshall cab ain't going nowhere )
                        My JSX is probably the quietest 120watt head I've owned. It's plenty loud, but I don't think it's pushing 120 watts. You could do two different things though:

1) run two tubes instead of four in the power section
                        2) Just don't dime the volume. If you're playing around the house, I bet you don't use more than 15-20 watts.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by jwoods986 View Post
                          Hey, does anyone here with a JSX run it through a 2x12 and can suggest a good one? I know the JSX sounds good through the Peavey 4x12 but I would prefer a 2x12 if I got one.
                          The G-Flex 2x12s are hard to beat for any amp.

Pete

Comment

+1

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                            The G-Flex 2x12s are hard to beat for any amp.

Pete
                            "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

framus CS 212 cab with v30 speakers. i'm using it with my 5150, and i swear the damn thing NEVER sounded better. cheap as fuck, too. i paid 290 euro shipped NEW.

Comment

Originally posted by toddstaples View Post
                                +1

I have two of these thigns in stereo. They are a good cab with some serious low end balls.
                                Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Working...
                                X