X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love you guys..
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Well it's confirmed!!!!

The JSX RULES!!!!

I spent 2 hours at Guitar Cener today test driving 4 half stacks..I went for the most BRUTAL tone I could coax from each amp ..The JSX came in first place hands down ..on the Utra channel..The VHT lead came in second..The Mesa Roadking came in a close third and the Krankenstein trailed FAR behind in last place..I was up there with my bud, who's the GC Guitar manager, and Ripper's guitarist ..he kept talking to me as I tested no matter how busy he was..and he was busy..

We both could NOT believe how overrated and horrible the Krank sounded, especially for that kin of money, I couldn't fuggin' believe it to be honest..I mean as soon as I tried to get anywhere the gain I require..it squealed like my wife on her period..worse!!

I got MUCH more attention, smiles and horns while playing the Peavey ..it CRUSHED all the heads I mentioned ..not just to my ears..to everyone in the place..without question!!

I had the JSX' Low, Gain and Resonance all the way up and it was PERECTLY tight, both with the "fat" switch off and on, pretty fuggin' and focused..and it was stocked with EL34's..AWESOME amp!!!

I played the XXX..OK, but doesn't compare to the JSX in my book ...it sounds "hairy" when pushed where I need it to be..I was immediatelt not interested.

I'm confirmed the JSX is Peavey's flagship of amps, best amp they ever made IMO..and I was a dedicated 5150 guy since '90..not any more!!

Bill Z Bub

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I played the XXX and JSX side by side last weekend. Channel 2 on the XXX has more gain than channel 2 on the XXX. But overall the JSX sounded a little more articulate than the XXX no matter what the settings. Bill, you're correct. The XXX sounds more hairy than the JSX.

About 2 years ago at NAMM one of the Peavey guys gave me the lowdown on all the the JSX, XXX, and 5150.

5150: no noise gate
        XXX: Internal, non adjustable noise gate
        JSX: External noise gate, adjustable.

He also explained all the gain differences to me, but I forgot them. I posted on it a while back but am too lazy to search.

Comment

Originally posted by Venomboy View Post
          I played the XXX and JSX side by side last weekend. Channel 2 on the XXX has more gain than channel 2 on the XXX. But overall the JSX sounded a little more articulate than the XXX no matter what the settings. Bill, you're correct. The XXX sounds more hairy than the JSX.

About 2 years ago at NAMM one of the Peavey guys gave me the lowdown on all the the JSX, XXX, and 5150.

5150: no noise gate
          XXX: Internal, non adjustable noise gate
          JSX: External noise gate, adjustable.

He also explained all the gain differences to me, but I forgot them. I posted on it a while back but am too lazy to search.

Your'e right both the 5150 and XXX have more gain that the JSX..but NOT "Usable" gain..so what's the point..

I maxed the gain on the JSX and it was absolutely perfect for me..totally focused, warm, smooth, tight , and VERY musical..the crunching, Metal "Chug" TRULY kicked ass!!

I got everyones attention in the place, they flocked to me like flies to a turd..with much enthusiasm , including my friend John that works there..I quilcly dialed it in nicely!!

He even gave me a allen wrench so I could adjust the fucked up tuning on the floyds I was using..I prolly sold some gear while I was there..alot of folks were talking to me..I mean alot of folks!!
          Last edited by horns666; 12-23-2006, 08:37 PM.

Comment

The more I play the XXX, the more it sounds too saturated. However, for the money, Peavey amps are a great deal, especially used.

Comment

Originally posted by Venomboy View Post
              The more I play the XXX, the more it sounds too saturated. However, for the money, Peavey amps are a great deal, especially used.
              + a gagillion!!!

Comment

I'd have to try one out but it will have to pack a pretty powerful punch to beat my VHT 50 CL w/ EQ+Rev
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                  I'd have to try one out but it will have to pack a pretty powerful punch to beat my VHT 50 CL w/ EQ+Rev
                  Shawn, It will!

played the JSX right after I play the VHT Pitbull lead w EQ..the 2nd best amp in the shootout followed by the Mesa Roadking ..the Peavey XXX came in fourth and far behind in last place..The Krank.

My Ratings..

Peavey JSX ..9
                  VHT Pittbull lead w /eq..8
                  Mesa Roadking ...7
                  Peavey XXX..6
                  Krankenstein....2

Played them with the Dean CFH "Lightning" Dime..which actually plays pretty good.

Comment

"I'd have to try one out but it will have to pack a pretty powerful punch to beat my VHT 50 CL w/ EQ+Rev"
                    Two VERY different amps... don't overlap anywhere imho. I"m not sure what would be comparison criteria. In the least of JSX, VHT, Roadking, XXX, Krankenstein I see only one common denominator - all of them have lots of gain. Is this the only only point everyone is after?

Comment

I didn't think it was all this. Hows the clean channel?? The one I played seemed to have tube break up. I didn't get a really clean and clean tone out of it. Granted I sat with it for about 30 minutes and gave up. I would like to try again maybe in a sound room my myself with no one noodling beside me.

Comment

Clean on the JCX? Did not seem to be a problem, when I tried I did not get any noticable breakup on the clean channel, it has some good headroom.

Comment

I like what I'm reading about the JSX. It's now one of those amps that now makes me go hmmmmmmm.. The direct-out mic'd cab sound feature seems cool too.

Comment

Originally posted by akoch View Post
                            "I'd have to try one out but it will have to pack a pretty powerful punch to beat my VHT 50 CL w/ EQ+Rev"
                            Two VERY different amps... don't overlap anywhere imho. I"m not sure what would be comparison criteria. In the least of JSX, VHT, Roadking, XXX, Krankenstein I see only one common denominator - all of them have lots of gain. Is this the only only point everyone is after?
                            I'd say in Bills case gain and balls were his number 1 criteria. Keep in mind Bill is as metal as metal gets the VHT 50 CL does not have bookoo amounts of gain but it has class and a defined character that makes it appealing. Gain is over rated and overly abused

I havent heard or played a JSK but people praise that amp so there has to be some merit to the review, also I like Bills choice of tone as well as Pete's who owns one and gigs on a regular basis.
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                              I'd say in Bills case gain and balls were his number 1 criteria. Keep in mind Bill is as metal as metal gets the VHT 50 CL does not have bookoo amounts of gain but it has class and a defined character that makes it appealing. Gain is over rated and overly abused

I havent heard or played a JSK but people praise that amp so there has to be some merit to the review, also I like Bills choice of tone as well as Pete's who owns one and gigs on a regular basis.

Yes, I'm a one trick pony..but it's one hell of a trick..I said that from the start and always will.

I own a Uber..and NEVER used the clean channel, although it's very nice, but I don't care..I'm a METAL guitarist..I won't be playing "dust in the wind" or "Stairway" anytime soon..

I'm not going for any Classic Rock/Metal, Grunge, Nu-, Blues sounds here..ala Dokken, Ratt, AC/DC, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Creed, BB King, SRV, Eric Johnson ..I'm all about METAL ..Nevermore, Arch Enemy, Darkane, Iced Earth..yada yada and MORE importantly ..my own band Bed Of Nails!!

I only care about the best METAL tones I could get from any amp..that's it!!

Bill Z Bub = Metal..

Is this a secret..have I been a closet metalhead ..???

BTW.. Merry Christmas..

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                                I didn't think it was all this. Hows the clean channel?? The one I played seemed to have tube break up. I didn't get a really clean and clean tone out of it. Granted I sat with it for about 30 minutes and gave up. I would like to try again maybe in a sound room my myself with no one noodling beside me.
                                Dude, read the orginal intent of this thread..I "Go for the throat"..

I don't use or care about "clean" tones..I have ZERO use for them..others do..that's nice..

But that's not what this review or I'm about..

This is NOT a Roland Jazz chorus VS a Fender Blackface twin reverb thread..

Comment

Working...
                                X