No announcement yet.

Bill Z Bub's..Peavey JSX VS VHT Pittbull review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going to have to try out the JSX now. I would love an amp that I don`t have to use a distortion box in front of!! I love my Carvin X100B(EL34`s), but would like the JSX as a compliment to it, not a replacement. Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
      I am going to have to try out the JSX now. I would love an amp that I don`t have to use a distortion box in front of!! I love my Carvin X100B(EL34`s), but would like the JSX as a compliment to it, not a replacement. Jack.

Cool, you'll DEFINITELY won't need any stomp in front of the JSX to geta great METAL tone.
      It has PLENTY of "usable" gain..don't be shy..crank the gain on the Ultra channel, it holds TIGHT as hell..and it had a very good bottom end, even with the EL34s that were in it...I played it with the matching 4-12" of course.

For a nice grab and go metal amp..you can't beat it for the dough..IMO!!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Clean sound on my JSX is great, especially with 6L6 tubes in there.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Venomboy View Post
          I played the XXX and JSX side by side last weekend. Channel 2 on the XXX has more gain than channel 2 on the XXX. But overall the JSX sounded a little more articulate than the XXX no matter what the settings. Bill, you're correct. The XXX sounds more hairy than the JSX.

About 2 years ago at NAMM one of the Peavey guys gave me the lowdown on all the the JSX, XXX, and 5150.

5150: no noise gate
          XXX: Internal, non adjustable noise gate
          JSX: External noise gate, adjustable.

He also explained all the gain differences to me, but I forgot them. I posted on it a while back but am too lazy to search.
          Don't give up on the XXX just yet...I searched around for recommendations regarding tubes after I got used to the "New Amp" and started getting critical. I ended up getting rid of the fuzz I was getting. I ended up using the EH pre and power section.

I found the matching cab made the XXX very puffy sounding...I didn't like it...Try it with the 5150 cab. I have been looking for a used one and I WILL get one. I just bought a G-Flex 2x12 that is use with my POS (Behringer) 4x12 in the mean time.

The 5150 made my XXX sound focused. I have only heard my G-Flex 2x12 cab once live so, I can't quite say yet but I had a lot of people telling me that my tone totally over powered my other guitarist with his 2 4x12's.

I am going to use the g-flex alone at our next practice to single it out but, I think it's going to be g-flex + 5150 4x12.

I posted a vid of the show and although it's live and through a camcorder you can still hear that I don't have a hairy/fuzzy tone and the mid section we do a riff trade off where you can really hear it. http://www.myspace.com/19755931

I’m not getting xxx defensive haha…Just saying I know the fuzzy thing is easily fixable and probably exactly what Joe wanted fixed. I don’t think he was ever satisfied with the XXX cab. 5150 cab…Really!

Shit you have a Framus anyhow don't you? lol

[edit] Yeah...I tried the EL34s in there because eveyone recomended em...Anyone need EL34s? LOL 6L6's all the way.

I really need to try the JSX though...Hope I don't like it too much :ROTF:
          Last edited by sevser; 12-26-2006, 02:15 PM.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

I got a chance to check out the JSX for an extended period today. One sentence review: I wouldn't buy one.

The clean channel was weak. Actually, sterile is a better term. It had no life. High notes were particularly dull. Once you've played a great Fender amp, something like the JSX clean channel is pretty limp. I could imagine that you could get usable sounds out of it with some chorus and delay/reverb.

The crunch channel was pretty darn good. It took a while because at first everything I got out of it was buzzy and thin. You've got to bring up the mids and kill some treble. After that I found I could dial in a lot of sounds I could use. It was only so-so at cleaning up with lighter touch dynamics and/or backing off your volume - that's unfortunate for someone like me - I do that a lot.

The ultra channel was pretty uninspiring. I can't understand how Bill likes it. Compared to his beloved Ubershall the JSX sounded like a Boss Metal Zone pedal. It had plenty of low-end which was cool but it had this annoying harshness all the time.
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
              I got a chance to check out the JSX for an extended period today. One sentence review: I wouldn't buy one.

The clean channel was weak. Actually, sterile is a better term. It had no life. High notes were particularly dull. Once you've played a great Fender amp, something like the JSX clean channel is pretty limp. I could imagine that you could get usable sounds out of it with some chorus and delay/reverb.

The crunch channel was pretty darn good. It took a while because at first everything I got out of it was buzzy and thin. You've got to bring up the mids and kill some treble. After that I found I could dial in a lot of sounds I could use. It was only so-so at cleaning up with lighter touch dynamics and/or backing off your volume - that's unfortunate for someone like me - I do that a lot.

The ultra channel was pretty uninspiring. I can't understand how Bill likes it. Compared to his beloved Ubershall the JSX sounded like a Boss Metal Zone pedal. It had plenty of low-end which was cool but it had this annoying harshness all the time.

Well Tim..we go for apples and oranges..I mean I can't play ANY of Mike's amps "Dr Z" to save my life without putting a stomp in front..but they are great amps, but NOTHING I would buy..In fact Mike gave me a lightning bolt amp logo because my last starts with "Z"..I have around somewhere..you can have it if ya want..if I can find it..

I LOVE my Uberschall and played, owned and sold so many amps in my time..along with John..far too many to count..

I dialed in a GREAT tone with the JSX in mere seconds..it immediately repsonded to my ears, feel and playing like a mothefucker..I really like the gain structure, very tight and smooth with no "buzz" or fizz" , I like the edge it was capable of as well a great low end, I actually liked everything about it..one of the best amps I've enjoyed playing in a very long time!!

I HATE the Boss Metal Zone too, go figure..so it sounded nothing like that!!

The enthusiam was definitely shared by all ears in the place..and gave me nothing but smiles, and horns..it was doing something right!!!

I never played a JSX before that was my first time, I went back just to confirm my opinion, and it certianly did!!

I spent more time with the Krank, in a attempt to get something from it and I did..SHIT!

It took me seconds to discover the JSX sounded great on the Ultra channel..just like any "good" amp will..a good amp, no matter how it's dailed should reveal it's voice , no matter if you have set everything flat or go from there..Like my Uber, no matter how I dialed it..I can't get it to sound "bad"..

NOW, I know why Pete praises these amps..and I take what he says about amps in general because we seem to be on the same page when it comes to high gain amps..he told me I would like the Soldano "Avenger", have owned Soldanos and played many of them..I'm certain I would on his word alone...just like the Peavey..

For my for MY tatse in tone..there's only a handful of guys here that "credible" to me..they know who they are..

Why do I like the JSX, because it kicked ass on the first and second try..that's why..

Clean, Crunch channel..WTF is that???

I'm a thrasher dudes, what good are those channels to me!!!??

As far as I'm concerned it could be a single channel amp..and If I didn't own my Uber, which has a nice clean channel I don't use..I would have a JSX maybe two of them sitting right here..maybe I will!!

Bill Z

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bill, where is the best price for a new JSX? Thanks-Jack.

Comment

I think I seen them for aprrox $1300, which is cool for what your gettig in comparison to some OTHER amps that go for the same or more..No, I don't need to beat a dead horse..we know what amp I'm referring to..

But I've been told here on this forum that you could snag a mint used one of the Bay for approx $800..

IMO..for that kind of money that's amazing..I always thought for 15 years that 5150s were the best bang for the buck..until recently.

5150s are still very cool in my book..but I owned five of them and know them very well..after hearing the JSX..I'd grab that one first in a heartbeat!!

Bill Z
                  Last edited by horns666; 12-26-2006, 07:26 PM. Reason: I fucked up!!

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post

6L6s in the power section cure a lot of the issues you're finding there, at least for me. With the 6L6s, the clean channel gets a lot more of a fender vibe - it tightens the lows and increases them a bit, and extends the treble, and cuts the mids. No, it's not a single channel dedicated clean amp like the Matchless I built, or any of the bunch o' fenders I've owned and/or played, but for a channel switcher it's damn good imho.

Also, the mid range harshness depends on power tubes and speakers. I use a GT75 loaded marshall cab which scoops the mids and it seems to help a bit, and again, 6L6s. We all hear things differently, but I get a LOT of people asking about my amp at gigs, including sound guys and other musicians.

Pete

Comment

Jack, did you try one out? Thought you were going to, am curious what you thought.

BTW, I wouldn't buy Peavey stuff new personally. If you're patient, you should be able to snag a used one for $800 or less... I paid $700 shipped for mine back when everyone was talking shit about them.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                        6L6s in the power section cure a lot of the issues you're finding there, at least for me. With the 6L6s, the clean channel gets a lot more of a fender vibe - it tightens the lows and increases them a bit, and extends the treble, and cuts the mids. No, it's not a single channel dedicated clean amp like the Matchless I built, or any of the bunch o' fenders I've owned and/or played, but for a channel switcher it's damn good imho.

Also, the mid range harshness depends on power tubes and speakers. I use a GT75 loaded marshall cab which scoops the mids and it seems to help a bit, and again, 6L6s. We all hear things differently, but I get a LOT of people asking about my amp at gigs, including sound guys and other musicians.

Pete
                        Pete, very cool ..I'm sure it would sound better with 6L6..I prefer those to EL34s in general..

My only complaint I had with the Uber was too much midrange "honk" which was a combination of both El34 and the stock JJ 12ax7s..

you adised me to swap power amp tubes, and was truly thinking about it ..but I was lucky enough to blow a preamp tube..and discovered those Tung Sols ..which really made a world of difference as well...just a mix of dumb luck and good advice from the tube store..it remedied that complaint..It would prolly be too "dark" if there was KT88s , 6550 or 6L6 with those...The JJ's would be a much better balance with those tubes...

If I had the JSX..I'd pop the Tung Sols in there with the El34..and see how that works..since I have them.

There's a big difference between the EL34 and 6L6 version of the Marshall 9200 ..I don't like the EL34 version..Marshall were never known for their bottom end..so with the 5881s with a assit from my old BBE unit..it's pretty a "beefy" Marshall tone...I should pop a couple of Tung Sols in the JMP-1..when those Sovteks go bad..I will!

I liked the JSX "as is" right out of the box..cab and all, which is a rare moment..since you know that amp very well..I must take your word!!

You're one of the few that actually KNOW what I go for.

I can't recall when you or Shawn ever disagreed on amps / tone..we have are own identity, needs and likes..but we always seem to gel on that issue..I put much merit in your opinion on amps!!!

Bill Z

Comment

Haven`t tried one out yet Pete, but if I do and like it, I will probably get one within the year. Man, I remember when MF was selling these new for like $799 or something. What happened to those prices!! Jack.

Comment

I get thankful PM's constantly!!

I received this today..some may be a tad shy , especially newer mems..so I'll post it..

"Hey man,
                            I gotta say, you where spot on about the tone of the JSX!
                            A fuckin awsome amp, the ultra channel is spot on!!

Joe"

Seems like a cool dude with a good ear to me..

I'll let him reveal his JCF name if he wishes..

Bill Z

Comment

Bill seems to have a cult following...

Whatever you guys do... Don't drink the Koolaid!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                                Bill seems to have a cult following...

Whatever you guys do... Don't drink the Koolaid!!!!!

Unless it's Black Cherry..

Comment

Working...
                                X