Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldano Decatone vs SLO

Hi guys,

I'm inspired by the great review Bill did on the JSX, so I hoped someone had experience in this or was also in a position chosing between a Decatone vs SLO. The cost is not a question. It is strictly about sound. I'll say that its is the crunch channel and very nice channel that made me to include the Decatone into this, as I'm entirely happy with the SLO's lead channel.

I can't get both amps in the same room at the same time and compare, so have to do a bit of a research on it.

So what do you think?

No one plays Soldanos?

Comment

it might come to more no one plays the decatone! LOL I have played a few slo's but never had the chance to lay my hands on a decatone. I had a hot rod 50+ once, and i actualy liked it better then the slo.

Originally posted by akoch View Post
      No one plays Soldanos?

Comment

I play with a guy that had a Decatone for 3 years. He now has a SLO-100 for going on 3 years now. There is NO comparison. The SLO is a much better sounding amp. What Soldano clains the Decatone to be, it is not IMO.

Comment

"I play with a guy that had a Decatone for 3 years. He now has a SLO-100 for going on 3 years now. There is NO comparison. The SLO is a much better sounding amp. What Soldano clains the Decatone to be, it is not IMO."

Could you give more details on your impressions? This is exactly what I'm looking for - comparison, objective, subjectvie, anything Appreciate it!

Comment

well I dont own the SLO but I dont care what Soldao themselves say...only one way to get a true SLO tone and that is to get the SLO
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

"well I dont own the SLO but I dont care what Soldao themselves say...only one way to get a true SLO tone and that is to get the SLO"

good point, but I am trying to understand a bit more about this. Marketing is one thing, but what's beyond it is more interesting.

Comment

The Deccatone is comparitavly thin, boxy and harsh as well as bordering on ice pick compared to an SLO.

Comment

Always wanted a review on the decatone too. Thanks. Sounds like crap compared to the SLO is what you are saying then... lol.

Comment

Shawn you need to add an SLO to your already formidable amp arsenal! You won't regret it!

I have owned my current SLO for about 10 years and used to own another that was Richie Sambora's. I have only played a Decatone in the store so I have no tangible live experience.

The Decatone uses the same construction processes and components as the Hot Rod series. I have heard of some being built with DeYoung transformers but this is custom only.

I, of course, agree that the SLO is superior in its tone, response, sensitivity, and clarity. That said, even the SLO does not shine unless it is turned up loud. The Decatone I played was at practice volume, not band or live volume so it never got a fair shake.

I have played Hot Rods sitting in with a friend's band that has one. In band situations the difference is striking. It is much less so at practice volumes IMHO. The SLO yields a very succinct, defined, and focused lead tone and is articulate when playing rhythm in terms of note-to-note definition and chiming chords. Even at high gain settings, the SLO is fairly well known for retaining a certain clarity and precision which gives the player more dynamic control over the amp given the guitar's volume, string attack, and playing nuances vs. having to change channels or constantly adjust settings to give different tones. You hear this kind of thing commonly with boutique combo amps that are comparatively low gain as opposed to hi-gain master volume style amps like an SLO. This is where the SLO has and still does set itself apart from other high gain amps.

The Hot Rods don't give me this kind of feedback and the Decatone (in the store, anyway) did not do this for me.

The SLO is a very unique amplifier. Many players who don't play live seem to not like them because they are bright and brittle at low volumes and don't really shine until they are in the mix with a band.

All this said, the Hot Rods are great sounding amps and comparable to a JCM800 2203/4 with some extra bite. I don't think you can go wrong with any Soldano being they are U.S.A. made and largely hand-built. There are simply degrees of good to spectacular IMHO.

Your mileage may vary,
                    Bret
                    www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

I've only played a SLO once in a local store. It had the Hayes mod. I only played through it for about 2 minutes and it was at a pretty low volume. I never knew that it was possible for an amp to have so much gain, yet have total note definition and clairty. The complexity of the tone with all the harmonics and overtones going on was absolutely amazing. They're the real deal.

The only thing that keeps me from getting one (besides the price tag lol) is that I would be too afraid to take it to gigs and an amp like that needs to be played loud and proud.

I know this doesn't really help, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Comment

I actually have a Hot Rod 50 that I have had for around 12-13 years. I really like it, even when compared to my friend's JCM800. The thing I used to notice when I gigged alot was how easy it was to dial in the sound so it sounded great through a PA. In fact more than a few sound men commented how great it sounded out in front. That said, I liked how balanced it was at higher volumes. Sometimes at lower levels it was a little flat, but brightened up considerably when cranked up a bit. It is smoother than any Marshall I have ever played, which is not always what I have wanted. But overall it is a great sounding amp.
                        "... and is there anyone out there who can sing music beyond either the Dead/Phish/jam band of the week

or

obscure B-side GreatWhiteLionSnake demos recorded in the basement of some guy who was the girlfriend's second cousin's in-law's best man?

I swear to God, if we audition another American Idol wannabee or have another no show, I'll turn postal. I'm a donkey on the frickin' edge."

Comment

I only played a Decatone once, but I hated it. It sounded nothing like any other Soldano. It seemed to go from muddy to shrieking with nothing good in between. Love the SLO though!

Comment

Hmm, I think it is a bit harsh - Decatone does not really sound muddy or thin... Far from it. I can't say personally how it compares to the SLO (hence the threat), but I would rate Decatone as a great amp nontheless.

Comment

Originally posted by neverdunn View Post
                              I actually have a Hot Rod 50 that I have had for around 12-13 years. I really like it, even when compared to my friend's JCM800. The thing I used to notice when I gigged alot was how easy it was to dial in the sound so it sounded great through a PA. In fact more than a few sound men commented how great it sounded out in front. That said, I liked how balanced it was at higher volumes. Sometimes at lower levels it was a little flat, but brightened up considerably when cranked up a bit. It is smoother than any Marshall I have ever played, which is not always what I have wanted. But overall it is a great sounding amp.
                              This is a very honest review and I like it.

Soldano Amp's?
                              They are unlike any amp out there and what sets them aside are a number of things. First things first.
                              If one is looking for a "be all end all" amp then the Soldano will not be for you because the soldano wasn't designed to be that. If you want a so called amp then a line 6 would be probably your better bet. Cheaper and does alot of stuff. On the other hand, a slo or hr-50 were and still are designed specifically to be lasting gigging amps. This what they were designed for and really shine in live conditions/environments. A soldano isn't for everybody because everybodies ear and personal taste is different. A Soldano amp isn't for you if you only intend to play in the home. You just won't get or experience what soldano's are all about in the basement, bedroom, apartment. Your missing out if your trying to do this with a soldano. Even if you crank it abit in a home environment its still not even close to what it can do in a live situations.

Secondly, they are nortorious for simplicity and many struggle with this.
                              Their minds have been programed to believe, more buttons and knobs and jack inputs increase the odds for a great amp. Its a lie and nonsense. Soldano's still prove a basic simple setup is very tweakable and manageble without all the bells and whistles many other amps have. With Soldano's less is more. The SLO's and HR-50's are sensitive to volume increases. You move the volume up on a SLO one number and you've changed everything, especially in a gigging environment. They are very tweakable but you have to learn how to tweak it to experience it at its best. They will sing for you but you need to know what your doing. Cranking it up gives you only half of what these amps are capable of, the rest in the tweaking. Most don't understand that.

Third, these are high gain driven amps.
                              The SLO's and HR-50's aren't gonna soundly like a Fender amp when shooting for a good clean sound. Your better off going with a Fender if a clean sound is important to you. With that said, still you can achieve a so called decent clean sound from a slo or hr-50, but again, you need to learn how to get it because they weren't specifically designed to do clean like a Fender. For a good chunky rythmn, tweak you amp presense, mid, bass, treble and volume to where you want it, then back off a tad bit (the guitar volume and leave the amp settings alone) and this usually provides a very nice rythmn sound. Granted this will vary a bit from person to person. Use an OD pedal for solos. Very basic and simple but it works wonderfully with soldano's.

Fourth, your preference....the use of pedals or console gear to shape your sound. Such concerns don't make a difference with good amps especially a slo or hr-50. The bottomline, a good amp will allow your shape your sound without sacraficing the overal quality of the amp. Some cry and whine like a baby, I can't get to sound right it sounds muddy and really awful. I have yet to hear a SLO or a Hr-50 whether used with console or pedals to shape the sound, sound muddy and awful. If it sounds muddy and awful it does so because of the lack of experience of the tweaker/user, or because you want it too. A stock Soldano, SLO and HR-50's aren't muddy sounding amps.
                              Last edited by Soap; 12-16-2006, 12:10 AM.
                              Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Working...
                              X