Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mig 60 tube suggestions..

This amp takes 2 EL34's and 3 12ax7's.

I would like to lower the preamp gain a little and tighten the amp up a bit especially in the bottom end.
    I would like it to sound a little less like a JCM800 2203 and more like a Plexi. What tubes would you suggest or should I try something like a preamp pedal?

try a 5751 in the V1 position (the GE JAN 5751s are excellent tubes) to lower the gain

Comment

maybe a 12at7. I have used one of these in v1 to get a cleaner tone and it worked pretty good. If I still have it you can take it for a test drive. I will look now.

Comment

Use KT77s in place of the EL34s.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V View Post
          maybe a 12at7. I have used one of these in v1 to get a cleaner tone and it worked pretty good. If I still have it you can take it for a test drive. I will look now.

Yea, somebody else told me to try a 12at7 in there too.
          I had alot of tubes that I just gave away because I didn't think I needed them anymore.

Comment

Hey John. I can't find it. I might of sold it with another amp or something. Maybe it was in the first SLO I sold... Anyway, Sorry - No freebie.

I would try the 12at7. It doesn't knock it down a whole lot but you will hear the difference. It cleaned up the bottom nice and I think that is what you are looking for. I had used it in a MIG100H and 100U so I know the bottom end you are hearing.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              Use KT77s in place of the EL34s.
              What he said

Steve E

Comment

Try a TungSol reissue 12AX7 in V1. Seriously, it'll clean the amp up a lot, and you may not need to go with lowering the gain...
                Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by yabba View Post
                  try a 5751 in the V1 position (the GE JAN 5751s are excellent tubes) to lower the gain
                  I would try the 5751 in V1 also and in the other gain stages(V2 maybe V3) first.
                  A 5751 is 70% gain of a 12AX7 where as a 12AT7 is 40%, might be more of a gain reduction than you want.

Comment

John my man. I still have all of those tubes. You are welcome to whatever you need. I sent you a PM.
                    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Working...
                    X