Soldano Astroverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldano Astroverb

After selling my Randall RM100 MTS setup and my Dr. Z because I've moved to a rack setup. I still wanted a grab and go smallish rig and I've got a bunch of cabinets so I snagged a blemished Astroverb (customer return) from Musician's Friend.

It came the other day and I figured out why it was a customer return - the reverb didn't work. Everything was perfect so I knew this couldn't be much of a problem. Sure enough, I pulled the reverb tank pouch out and saw that one of the wires to one of the jacks had come loose. Reconnecting that got me some reverb but it was miniscule even at 11. Apparently the previous owner tried to experiment by reversing the in/out connectors to the reverb tank. So within about 20 minutes it was all fixed and good to go.

I talked with Soldano and apparently they switched tank providers because of this very problem - a number of Astroverbs were returned because of faulty reverbs that could have been fixed with a single solder joint.

So anyhow, I'd like to send my thanks to whoever returned the Astroveb to Musician's Friend - you saved me 400 bucks

I haven't had a chance to crank it for too long yet but when I did the amp really sings. My singer and I are going to jam with another band that's looking for a singer and guitarist tomorrow night so I'm going bring the Astroverb and a 2x12 V30 cabinet and a couple pedals and give it a good test. If it doesn't work out, check the Musician's Friend site in a couple weeks for a blemished Astroverb
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Hey Tim, I always thought the Astroverb was a nice amp. Its got a really nice clean distortion and it takes pedals really well. Turn it up to 11!!!

Comment

I bought JG's head from him when he was finished noodlin' with it and I thought it rocked too. It ain't an SLO but it is a fun little amp. It does the VH I thing excellent. It also cleaned up well with just tweaking the guitar volume. I miss that head. It rocked big time for such a simple setup.

Comment

Tonight's rig will consist of an XTRR and a PRS McCarty -> Boss TU-2 -> Bad Horsie 2 -> TS808 -> Bad Bob Boost -> Atstroverb -> Lopoline 2x12 cab loaded with V30s.

I was playing with the XTRR last night with this setup at pretty low volume and it sounded kick ass.

- Newc

Comment

Ok, look for this on Musician's Friend as a blem in a week or two.

I ran with it last night and my feelings on it are mixed. On the one hand it has a fundamentally good singing tone and it cleans up nice when you play light or back off the volume. I was using my 2x12 v30 cab and the other guitarist had a Marshall head with a Randall 4x12 and my tone cut through the band better than his. The low end was just not where I wanted it to be. I don't like too much low end in my guitar tone - that's what the bassist is for but this was just a bit less than I want. The obvious thing would be to assume it's the cabinet but i know that's not it because this same cabinet with my rack rig powered with a Boogie 2:100 has plenty of low end.

I think the Astroverb would make a great blues rock amp - it has a great focused/singing quality and is very touch responsive. When the other guitarist and singer took a break last night we broke into a quick blues jam and the sound was just killer for that.

It just isn't doing anything for me that i can't get out of my Splawn modded Marshall 1987x - I was hoping to get a good simple tone out of it at a more moderate volume than the Marshall but it needs to hit the same volume to sound good so that's not a win and the Marshall has a much thicker low end as well.

I think I'm seeing a pattern for me here - I never hang on to EL84 based amps - this was my 7th one.

- Newc

Comment

I thought those amps were discontinued years ago.
            "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

I didn't get alot of bottom end out of the Astroverb either. I tried different cabs and pedals but it didn't work out. The general tone is excellent though. Its the EL84's. They just don't have enough balls.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                I didn't get alot of bottom end out of the Astroverb either. I tried different cabs and pedals but it didn't work out. The general tone is excellent though. Its the EL84's. They just don't have enough balls.
                That has been a recurring theme for me. Now that I think about it, the only time I was *really* thrilled with the sound of an EL84 amp was when it was completely cranked. This is true of the Astroverb as well - I dimed it briefly last night and the low end was there. At the same time, I wonder if the problem is actually the class A circuit vs. the A/B in most other amps I've used. I think every EL84 amp I've used was class A.

Meh, doesn't matter, it's going back.

- Newc

Comment

Hey Tim, have you ever tried a Sovtek Mig 60??

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                    Hey Tim, have you ever tried a Sovtek Mig 60??
                    nope - never played through a sovtek amp of any kind - i don't think i've ever seen one in a shop or known anyone that had one.

- Newc

Comment

Agree with everything said here. My Astroverb is my main amp since I got it last year, but I play mostly blues rock. I can't see it being used for anything heavy unless you slam it with something like a Jackhammer or maybe even the SLO Turbocharger. Haven't tried either, would like to some day.

Comment

I loved my Atroverb thought it sounded weak on bottom by itself but great with a band. With an SD1 in front I thought it did metal just fine, that's what I play half the time. Too bad you didn't like it Tim, I think they kick ass.

On a side note - I'm pretty sure the Atroverb is class A/B, not A.

Comment

Tim, which do you like best in a live/jam setting for hard rock/blues rock, the Soldano or the Splawn? I have always loved the singing tone you get from a good EL84 amp, but the low end thump is nice to have as well. I have a good friend that loves Soldano for it's live tone, but I have been thinking along the lines of the Splawn lately.

chuck
                          "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Originally posted by Chasbo View Post
                            Tim, which do you like best in a live/jam setting for hard rock/blues rock, the Soldano or the Splawn? I have always loved the singing tone you get from a good EL84 amp, but the low end thump is nice to have as well. I have a good friend that loves Soldano for it's live tone, but I have been thinking along the lines of the Splawn lately.

chuck
                            Well, I'm keeping the Splawn and returned the Soldano soooo....

- Newc

Comment

duh, sorry. It was late when I posted that yesterday.

chuck
                              "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Working...
                              X