Marshall Lead100 MOSFET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Lead100 MOSFET

Anyone ever use these? I'm looking at maybe trading my Spider II head and my Fender Frontman15G for one. How does the MOSFET sound compared to a tube amp? And finally to end this questionare when were they made and what would be a fair price on one? Its marked at $300 right now but the dealer said they would deal. Plus I would probably rent it for a week, and use the rental to take some off of the final price, then deal done, and spring my trade offer.

I remember some of that Mosfet shit back in the 80's. Thought it sounded terrible back then.

Comment

i like them. i have a marshall 3203 which is pretty much the same amp as the mosfet 100, but with a tube power amp. i think they sound pretty good. it is a solid stte amp, but it is not like a crate or something. rent it so you can blast it and see if it works for you.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Hell yea... if they let you rent it for a week and "check it out", I say give it the mother of all workouts and see if you like it.
        -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
          Hell yea... if they let you rent it for a week and "check it out", I say give it the mother of all workouts and see if you like it.
          Whats great is lets say I rent it and I don't like it, I can use the rental money on any other amp. Their guitar rentals work the same way; took advantage of it to rent a Peavey Limited-VT to make sure it was worth it make the down payment on, which is wasn't, as I thought it royally sucked

Comment

I had one in the 1980s and it was terrible. I always wanted to try it again now that I can play a little better and actually have some idea what makes ok tone.

I had a dallas arbiter wah-face (fuzz) and got nothing but harsh buzz with the fuzz and not enough gain without. If I got the gain high enough, got tons of feedback. But I also had an Ibanez X Series Destroyer with a VTrem and ..gulp a Gold Gibson neck pickup (496R?) in the bridge. To say my rig was pretty sad is an understatement. I just had no idea what to do as no one I knew had any idea what good gear was and we cobbled together whatever we could from pawn shops.

My review is not too worthwhile IMO, you should try it out with a tubescreamer or something "warmer" than a fuzz/metalzone. I didn't and looking back I wish I did.

I got better sound with my marshall lead 12 into my Ampeg 4X12 (4 celestion G12M-70s) than with the mosfet.

Post a real review of it if you do rent it, I'd like to see if it sucked even if know how to tweak an amp and know the difference between a rythm and lead pickup
            When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

I think they were discontinued by 1991 and I wouldn't pay but $200 for one to try it out.
              3210 Lead 100 MOSFET, 100W head

http://www.drtube.com/marshall.htm

The 3210 head was introduced in 1984 and discontinued in 1991. It is capable of delivering 100W in a 4Ω load. It was meant for use with the 1965A & 1965B 4x10" cabinets or the 1966A & 1966B 2x12" cabinets. It was the head version of the 5215 combo

I'd rather have a Valvestate 8100 or AVT50 if you have to have a marshall. Fender RocPro 1000 if you don't have to have a name, and a Carvin X100b or Laney/Randall SS head after that.

Any of those are in a similar price range and decent sounds can be coaxed out for sure.
              When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Originally posted by 442w30 View Post
                I think they were discontinued by 1991 and I wouldn't pay but $200 for one to try it out.

The 3210 head was introduced in 1984 and discontinued in 1991. It is capable of delivering 100W in a 4Ω load. It was meant for use with the 1965A & 1965B 4x10" cabinets or the 1966A & 1966B 2x12" cabinets. It was the head version of the 5215 combo

I'd rather have a Valvestate 8100 or AVT50 if you have to have a marshall. Fender RocPro 1000 if you don't have to have a name, and a Carvin X100b or Laney/Randall SS head after that.

Any of those are in a similar price range and decent sounds can be coaxed out for sure.

Thanks. Funny you mentioned AVT, as if I rented this and didn't like it was gonna see about having him order one (as I've already tried one and loved it). They also have a nice Fender head and some russian brand amp head for a similar price, as well as a B-52 AT-100. That or have him order a Peavey Windsor after trying one elsewhere.

Comment

I had one back in the day and really hated it. I would go for an older valvestate 8100/8200/VS100 or even the MG series before I would go for one of those Mosfets.

Comment

Watch out with the AVT50. I liked the one I had a lot, especially classic marshall hard rock sounds when practicing alone, but I didn't think it quite had the juice in a louder setting (garage band). The breakup got "weaker" at high volumes. Sounded great slightly quieter. Made me think the AVT150 would be a good one.
                    If you don't play quite as loud, it might work for you, or even if you do, it may work.

I think the MG series to mosfet is probably a good comparison from what I remember.

Comment

Its a truly horrible amp in every respect.

Comment

Originally posted by 442w30 View Post

1966A & 1966B 2x12" cabinets.. i got them, they are cool.. and portable too.

Comment

The MOSFET 100 is one of the worst sounding amps EVER made IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                            i like them. i have a marshall 3203 which is pretty much the same amp as the mosfet 100, but with a tube power amp. i think they sound pretty good. it is a solid stte amp, but it is not like a crate or something. rent it so you can blast it and see if it works for you.
                            Ha ha ha, LOL! Yea, pretty much the same, except completly different!

Comment

Originally posted by thebisch View Post
                              The MOSFET 100 is one of the worst sounding amps EVER made IMO.
                              In case you might be undecided...look above....

I remember back in the day (hey - I'm over 40 and allowed to say that!) when they came out. I was too poor to buy a JCM 800, and so when I saw the price tag on these, I thought "Let's give this a shot!".

Wow - to say they should have waited until they got solid state right was an understatement! It made me think over my old Ibeenhad Roadstar II through a DOD Overdrive into a Carvin keyboard amp...it was THAT bad....
                              Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Working...
                              X