No announcement yet.

Distortion pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boss mega distortion 2. It has a multi-stage cascading gain circuit. Will make your amp sustain for a long time. Also has bass boost if you want to add a low end thump but don't have to use it.

Comment

I use a MT2 for the heavy sounds and an Ibanwz smashbox SM7 for the early VH style distortions. both on the clean channel of my crate CFX2x12. I have a Pearl DS06 mentioned above and it is cool. The spectrum control mentioned is like a midrange frequency selector. Or a set parametric frequency and the spectrum level is just that a volume of the midrange selected. It's a pretty cool pedal I just havnt found a good tone with this amp for it yet. I got mine about 5 years ago from Harmony central for 75 bucks. They seem to be holding thier value pretty well. I'll have to do some more experimenting with mine. Altho i do run a boss parametric pedal with my MT2 and SM7. The DS06 doesnt sound as good with the EQ on tho. so that might be it.
      Gil

Comment

My current distortion/overdrive pedals are: Analogman DS-1, TS808, Clark Gainster, and a Vox Over The Top Boost.

The TS808 is currently not in use and I use the Vox for cleaner tones actually. The Gainster and DS-1 are used on predominantly clean tones for additional varaiances.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Just my THD Flexi-50 gets a pedal in front. I usually put either of these:

MI Audio Blues Pro
          Fulltone OCD
          Ibanez TS9 (original early 1980's)
          Digitech Bad Monkey

I have another half dozen or so but, these are probably the only ones I need.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Did I mention the MD-2 is really bright ugly orange. What it lacks in looks it makes up for in sustain and distortion. I'm not sure why the MT-2 is so much more popular than the MD-2. I have both and I like the MD-2 better for high gain but the MT-2 is more versatile for less distorted sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              Tech 21 American Woman.
              How are those? I was looking at one for next time I get some money. And does it really nail the tone of the original American Woman? (not the lenny kravitz version, which is ruined because of the distorted vocals at the end )

Comment

I use a metalzone with a tube screamer in the front for when I play the YJM only. When I use humbuckers I use only the zone. I go into the low input of my jcm800, gives me headroom for a solo boost and a clean sound. It really depends on how much amp gain you want to use. Metalzone or similar for a cleaner amp and maybe an MXR,YJM308 or similar to drive a half dirty amp.
                Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

I'm dying to personally try a few of those Damage Control pedals. The Womanizer and Demonizer are whole preamps, and the Womanizer sounds sweet for some VH-type tones, in the clips on their site, but I never trust those. The Metal one sounds promising, too. I wonder if GC has them, in-house.
                  I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                    How are those? I was looking at one for next time I get some money. And does it really nail the tone of the original American Woman? (not the lenny kravitz version, which is ruined because of the distorted vocals at the end )
                    It actually sounds pretty damn good, very close to that sound, but not what I really use it for. I've been using it more for just a boost, and it sounds great. I just got mine off ebay last week. The noise gate works well, too, and is one of the reasons I got it, but it seems to cut off sustained notes a little too soon, even when down all the way. Though, I discovered there is a little adjustable pot inside in the middle of the circuit board (you need to use a tiny screw driver) so you can lower or raise the threshold of the gate, you can even bypass it if you want. It's a great pedal, and I'm a big fan of Tech 21 stuff in general.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X