Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bizare Amp Problem

Good thing I'm looking at a new amp
    Today I was playing my charvel after finishing work on it, and after about 15 minutes my sound cut out. I cranked the volume all the way, and all i got was this faint distorted sound. Well first I thought something in the guitar broke, but it was in fact the amp after trying it with my Jackson. So I turned it off and it made the dreaded fart/crunch sound, but not as I turned it on. again same result. Fearing the speakers on my cab broke, I kinda sulked around and let it sit for a couple hours, came in, turned it on, and the first 2 times I tried it didn't come on at all after about a 10 second wait. Then the 3rd time it worked. I played, and tested it. But now I'm noticing a slight delay in it coming on after hitting the switch. so wtf is up?

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
    Good thing I'm looking at a new amp
    Today I was playing my charvel after finishing work on it, and after about 15 minutes my sound cut out. I cranked the volume all the way, and all i got was this faint distorted sound. Well first I thought something in the guitar broke, but it was in fact the amp after trying it with my Jackson. So I turned it off and it made the dreaded fart/crunch sound, but not as I turned it on. again same result. Fearing the speakers on my cab broke, I kinda sulked around and let it sit for a couple hours, came in, turned it on, and the first 2 times I tried it didn't come on at all after about a 10 second wait. Then the 3rd time it worked. I played, and tested it. But now I'm noticing a slight delay in it coming on after hitting the switch. so wtf is up?

I must be missing something here... what amp are we talking about???

Comment

Is this a tube amp or solid state?

Comment

My Line6

Comment

Sounds like a diode or something went in the head. Bring it to a repair station.

Comment

Absolutely, its nothing you can repair or even diagnose yourself. Bring it to a repair shop.

Comment

Ok now when I turn it on its making the crunch/fart sound again. So my question is will it hurt to continue using it, or not knowing whats wrong, should I stop using it?

Comment

line 6.. no wonder.. XD
                nah just joking, got one of them too... expecting them to crap out on me any moment
                If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelLitvak View Post
                  line 6.. no wonder.. XD
                  nah just joking, got one of them too... expecting them to crap out on me any moment
                  After hearing from someone else that they had a friend's fail mid-show, I've been "bracing for impact" so to speak

Comment

I've played Line 6 gear for 9 years, and I have yet to have 1 problem. Knock on wood...

Comment

The Vetta I tested for a few weeks (thanks Guitar Center ) would intermittently not boot up properly and either not sound at all or sound very weak. A few "reboots" and it worked fine. Perhaps this is what's happening with the HD75? Line6 isn't the greatest when it comes to reliability, at least in my (limited) experience.
                      Scott

Comment

Now its working fine

Comment

Spiders are not the top of the L6 heap (no offense), so sometimes cheap amps have "cheap amp problems".

I should qualify my statement - I've never had a problem with a Flextone Series amp (Duo 2x10, 60 1x12, HD - <three of them>, XL 2x12, XLIII 2x12 <two of those>), ANY POD (1, 2, 2.3, Pro, XT - although I hated the XT), the Duoverb combo (ick...), and the original Spider 210 (which was more expensive than the current Spider amps back when they were new). I am pretty gentle with my gear though and don't gig, so I should also mention that.

The only one I hear of problems with quite a bit is the Vetta, and it's generally software-related, and often happens after someone attempts to upgrade them.

Comment

Not to derail the thread too far, but my Vetta was damn near bulletproof the year+ that I gigged hard with it. No issues.

Pete

Comment

I know a few people that have had similar problems with the spider series but those were the original ones....

Comment

Working...
                              X