Peavey XXL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey XXL

There's probably another post somewhere that I can't seem to find (searched for "Peavey XXL" "XXL Head" "XXL", no results) ... If so, please re-direct me.

If not however, has anyone tried one of these heads long enough to state some pros and cons? These heads seem to be pretty cheap and good according to reviews on certain sites... *ahem* music123 *ahem* ...but I thought i'd ask you guys. If this head is in fact terrible, anything better in the same price range?

Thanks,
    Paul.
    DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Originally posted by Szostak View Post
    There's probably another post somewhere that I can't seem to find (searched for "Peavey XXL" "XXL Head" "XXL", no results) ... If so, please re-direct me.

If not however, has anyone tried one of these heads long enough to state some pros and cons? These heads seem to be pretty cheap and good according to reviews on certain sites... *ahem* music123 *ahem* ...but I thought i'd ask you guys. If this head is in fact terrible, anything better in the same price range?

Thanks,
    Paul.
    Personally, I played through one several times. I think the XXL is an aweful amp in every repect except cosmetics. Its pretty nice looking.
    Sound... horrible
    Gain...fuzzy, buzzy, noisy and overall nasty sounding
    Clean.... sterile and lifeless

YUCK....

Sorry all you XXL owners.

Comment

Then there's my impression of it, as one of the best-sounding solid state amps I've ever played through. I almost bought one, but my ART Eighty/Eighty magically appeared, and it's in a league all its own.
      sigpic

Comment

I used to have an XXL head sitting on top of my Triple XXX cab. It was a good amp, I liked it quite well. The clean channel wasn't anything terribly special but it was clean.. I liked having two different distortion channels, nice and versatile. The footswitch that used to come with it was a piece of flimsy plastic shit, but I guess they're packing 'em with nicer footswitches these days. Basically I've found that some people love the sound, some people hate it.
        I will say there were certain modes on each channel that didn't sound very good.. Each channel has three modes but I think you'll find that each distortion channel only really has one that's worth a damn.. I had a really hard time deciding how to keep the clean channel configured, I never did center in on that.
        It did get a bit muddy at higher volumes, but I thought it was still quite usable.

I kept the Triple XXX cab and now I have a Triple XXX 60 watt 1x12 combo sitting on top of that instead of the XXL. I like the combo marginally better, and got it because I wanted to have something that doesn't force me to lug the 4x12 cab around all over the place in the event that I actually find people to regularly jam with or start playing out or whatever.
        I might actually just ditch the cab anyway, not sure yet.
        Other than that, the sound I get is very similar anyway.

Comment

I have a XXL as a backup to my ENGL Fireball, and am currently using it again because my Fireball stands in the studio...

It's a nice amp for the money and the best solid state amp I've played so far. (I haven't tried the Tech21 Trademarks though).

No it's not a tube amp, but it does a fairly nice emulation. It's loud enough for serious band use and, if tweaked right, sounds good enough to have fun.
          Like TheSteveMan said, only one mode per channel is usable.

I'd recommend the XXL to people like me who wanted a reasonably priced halfstack as a beginner, because after upgrading to a tube amp you have a solid backup. Yes it is very solid (pro)... it also weighs as much as a tube amp (con).

Anything better in the price range... probably a used tube amp. When buying new it is a good value IMO.
          http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

For the money, you are better off with a Carvin MTS3200 unless you have your heart set on an SS amp.
            Other better choices for SS are offered from Randall and Laney.
            The Laney PL100 Pro Linebacker is a great choice. Even the Marshall 8100 would serve you well.
            Also look at the Randall RG100 and the RG100ES.

Comment

Originally posted by shadowcat View Post
              It's a nice amp for the money and the best solid state amp I've played so far. (I haven't tried the Tech21 Trademarks though).
              I've got a Trademark 300 head... excellent three-channel amp that does the tube emulation very well, active tone controls, footswitchable solo boost with a level control for up to 9 dB, two footswitchable loops (series and parallel). I also have the SansAmp Tri-A.C. pedal... they're very similar, except the manual states the frequency of the tone controls is a tiny bit different. I prefer the British Marshall/Vox sounds it can get, but it could use a little bit more gain (it takes to OD pedals very well). The Fender and Mesa sounds are great, too.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My friend had Trademark 10 for a while. Really nice sounding solid-state, apparently due to the all-analog interior.

The best SS amp I've heard (for metal/hard rock at least) is the Hughes & Kettner Vortex. It's got a tube pre and ss post. The Guitar Center near me had one used for $500, so I imagine you can find it on eBay for less.
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
                  Then there's my impression of it, as one of the best-sounding solid state amps I've ever played through. I almost bought one, but my ART Eighty/Eighty magically appeared, and it's in a league all its own.
                  I agree, to an extent. ONE of the best SS amps I've played through. Not THE best, but ONE of the best. I'd certainly buy one.
                  I'm not Ron!

Comment

the xxl is a very good ss amp for the money.
                    but i agree with the above, the tech 21 tm-300 is awesome, easily the best solid state amp in the market...(too bad it's discontinued).

Comment

Originally posted by shadowcat View Post
                      I have a XXL as a backup to my ENGL Fireball,
                      Those also spiked my curiosity as they're mentioned numerous times on this board... Without mentioning prices, is that head WAAAYYY above the XXL's price range?

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by data187 View Post
                        the tech 21 tm-300 is awesome, easily the best solid state amp in the market...(too bad it's discontinued).
                        Since when is it discontinued? It's still on their site. They were originally going to make a TM-200 (I know they made at least one prototype) then they decided to give it 100 more watts instead and made the TM-300. It's been out for a few years now, haven't heard anything about them getting rid of it.

Also, another great SS head is the old Fender Roc Pro 1000.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I happen to like mine (especially at the $300 I paid), but I only use it at bedroom/practice levels. For the times when no one is around and I get to raise the volume, the sound completely changes and I have to change all of the EQs around.

That being said, for me it has three usable channels. The clean is, well, clean. Not too much personality, but decent. I have the middle channel set to a mid-heavy lead tone. The last channel I use as a completely scooped thrash metal sound. For my purposes it works great, but I'd try it at gig levels if that is what you are planning on using it for.

Comment

Originally posted by iced_earth View Post
                            I happen to like mine (especially at the $300 I paid), but I only use it at bedroom/practice levels. For the times when no one is around and I get to raise the volume, the sound completely changes and I have to change all of the EQs around.

That being said, for me it has three usable channels. The clean is, well, clean. Not too much personality, but decent. I have the middle channel set to a mid-heavy lead tone. The last channel I use as a completely scooped thrash metal sound. For my purposes it works great, but I'd try it at gig levels if that is what you are planning on using it for.

Ayee, I'd definetly be using it to gig, that's my only purpose for a half-stack....
                            Besides that, maybe i'll try one, maybe not ... looking at all that is said, it looks like i'd need a few pedals to make this thing sound excellent.
                            BTW iced, nice set-up there !

Comment

Just played one, again, about an hour ago. Still like it, and think it's worth the money, so long as it's gig-able, as mentioned above.
                              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                              X