Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is 140watts really possible with 4 EL34s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 140watts really possible with 4 EL34s?

Hi everyone,
    I was reading about the Orange AD-140HTC, and it says it puts out 140watts of clean headroom with just 4 EL34s. I thought that EL34s ran at 25 watts a piece, and could be pushed to 30watts, but I didn't think they could run as hot as 35watts. Anyone have any input?

Thanks a lot!
    Nick

I had a Peavey Penta that was rated at 140 watts with 4 el34s. It was the LOUDEST amp I had heard in a long time......
    "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

I would say rule of thumb is 25 watts per tube, but I remember a lot of old amps that had 4 el34s that were tested out at making 150 watts... Like old Marshalls...

Not sure what's up with that...

Pete?? Where ya be?

Comment

well, according to this site you can get 35 watts out of them:

http://www.kbapps.com/audio/tubespecs/el34p04.html
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

The EL34 Bogner Shiva is supposedly rated 80 watts from two EL34s. That always struck me as suprisingly high as well. The 6L6 version has a much lower wattage rating.

Also, we could be talking about peak wattage, not clean wattage. 99% of the time the wattage rating of an amp is given based on it's clean volume. Once the power section is allowed to distort, it becomes more efficient and produces wattage well beyond its rating. That's why you can blow speakers in a 100 watt rated cabinet with a 100 watt rated amplifier--if you turn a 100 watt amp all the way up, it can be producing 150+ watts.
          Last edited by Riscchip; 12-21-2006, 06:49 PM.

Comment

I'm really liking the press Orange amps have been getting lately. Sure wish I could afford one... I don't think my Flextone has a Rockerverb model on it though...

Of course, a Bogner Shiva would be nice too!

Comment

Working...
            X