new tubes glow red hot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new tubes glow red hot?

ok sorry for the noob question,i have replaced the tubes [pre/power]in my jcm 900 [50watt head] with electro harmonics 6l6c and 12ax7.when i turned it back on the power tubes instantly started to glow very red down the bottom and had a blue haze up top.if i hit a chord at volume they would ''flair''up and glow a lot more before fading back to there normal already glowing state.this freaked me out a bit so for the time being i have put the stock power tubes back in.now it has not been biased as i was told by persons at music shop it wouldnt need it?.if not is it normal for the power tubes to glow that much and have a blue haze?its fine with the stock tubes in?i guess it pays to do some home work first.
    my kids go without food so i can collect guitars

Not sure about the blue haze, but typically, power tubes DO have to be biased.

Preamp tubes do NOT have to be biased.

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

They use 6L6's in those heads there? The ones here are EL34s...

And when I used to run 900s ( I had a few 4100s), my tech, who was the famous Dr Z (yes, that Dr. Z) always had to change the resistors to get them to bias properly as the stock tubes were weird (cheap chinese), and they used a weird resistor value that would not allow the amp to be biased correctly with a tesla or svet that we'd use... He was always irritated at those amps...

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
        They use 6L6's in those heads there? The ones here are EL34s...

And when I used to run 900s ( I had a few 4100s), my tech, who was the famous Dr Z (yes, that Dr. Z) always had to change the resistors to get them to bias properly as the stock tubes were weird (cheap chinese), and they used a weird resistor value that would not allow the amp to be biased correctly with a tesla or svet that we'd use... He was always irritated at those amps...
        yea no el34s in jcm 900 after a period in time so most that came to aust had 5881/6l6 in them,but is it normal for them to glow what i would call excessivly red down the bottom?i have only ever seen the tubes that came in it glow,and they dont glow that much.i see a trim pot in there that i think is for the biasing but i know nothing about it.could i turn this one way or the other to see if they glow more or less or just leave it .its about a 3 hour trip to get a tech to do it and i dont go that way very often but i dont want to kill these new tubes in a matter of days either.?i can take pics if that may help between the two types and there glow?

Comment

I'm thinking excessively glowing red is not so great man. Some red at the base is sorta typical, but if the plates are glowing red, I believe it would be out of bias a bit too much. That could kill the tube pretty quickly.

As I mentioned, when I owned them, those amps didnt have a lot of bias variability. Just to be safe, and not being able to see it myself, I'd recommend getting someone to look at it sorry to say.

Comment

Regardless of the glow amount, a blue haze is very atypical of tubes. I'd get the amp biased. You can do it yourself with a device to measure amps, but there are major currents running through the amp that could easily kill you, so I'd take it to a pro if you don't know what you're doing.
            Scott

Comment

some blue haze is normal, IME (it varies quite a bit, and isn't really cause for concern), the red sounds bad though - they're probably biased way to hot right now and will burn out quick if you don't get them biased

Comment

Originally posted by BUCKETASS
                I HAD THAT PROBLEM WITH A KRANK HEAD I HAD....THEN IT MELTED, THANK GOD THEY WERE HERE IN TEMPE AZ

KRANKENSTEIN SHOULD COME WITH A FREE FIRE EXTINGUISHER

Comment

thanks for the info guys.i know next to nothing about tube amps ,just how to get a tone i like.looks like i have to make a trip so i can get it sorted .

Comment

Working...
                  X