Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Need to purchase an amp and don't know what to get

Hi folks:

I'm in the market for an amp and have no clue about what to get. I play at home and need something that will sound good at low volume levels. I tried the modeling stuff (Line 6, etc) and couldn't deal with both the lack of response (lack of tube feel) and the tweaking. I had a Peavey Triple XXX that I sent to Voodoo Amps for modding and it took me a while to get used to it because of the clarity and definition Trace added to it. Unfortunately I had to sell it at the time. I also owned a Peavey JSX and it was good, but there was something lacking (it is hard for me to explain). My last amp was a Splawn Competition and it was a great amp, but unfortunately too much amp for bedroom level playing, plus I missed having a dedicated clean channel.

What should I get? I'm basically looking for a amp that will have at least two channels (one clean channel and a gain channel) that will have nice clean sounds and 80's hair metal and shred type gain (ala Vai, MacAlpine, Gilbert, etc). It must also have an effects loop.

I thought about getting a rack system with a Mesa 20/20 and a Peavey Rockmaster or a Marshall JMP-1 or and ADA MP-1 but don't know if this will be good. Another option is to get another JSX and maybe use a boost, but I'm also uncertain as to being this the best alternative. I have no way of trying gear before buying something, so I need to rely on internet research to purchase the amp. By the way, my budget is 800.

rivera m-100 head. can be run at 100, 50, 25, 10 watts, has a killer effects loop, a great (and flexable) clean channel, a versatile gain structure on the drive channel, reverb....a ton of options. it can run 6L6 or el34 tubes. i have used mine since 1990. it is great.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Sounds like you've had some good amps. It appears you want an amp that can milk the tubes at low vol. I can only think of a Carr off the top o' my head, and they're wayyyyy expensive.
      Have you tried any of the new VOX AD series? They have SS pre and tube pathway in the power section. They also have built in effects and several amp models. I think they sound really good at reasonable levels and one of their features is they don't lose clarity when you turn it up. New VOX's are in your price range.

Your ADA & 20/20 idea is feasible. The Mesa is an el84 amp. Not sure if you'll like the sound. You'll need a cab with this idea.

Comment

Working...
      X