single rectifier vs. dual rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• single rectifier vs. dual rectifier

I was shopping for a new amp and really love the Mesa 50w rect-o-verb combo.

The guy at the shop explained that the combo is a single rectifier where the Solo head is a dual rectifier but he couldn't really explain the functional difference. The combo sounded great to me, had a loop and I could always run an aux. 2x12 or 4x12 if I wanted.

So, what is the real difference between single and dual, and why would I want one vs. the other?

I always thought the number of rectifier tubes was directly related to wattage.

Comment

I believe the 100 and 150 watt rectifiers (the dual and triple) have the abilitly to switch between a tube rectifier or a diode rectifier. A tube recitifier is what you will find on vintage amps like most Fender tube amps. The 50 watt models, both the combo and head, only have the diode rectifier which gives a different sound than the tube rectifier (not better or worse - just different). You can try a dual rectifier and switch between the tube and diode rectifier to hear the difference and decide whether you really need that extra feature. All of these amps have all tube pre and power amps. If the sales guy is telling you the solo head has the dual rectifier feature I'm pretty sure he is wrong about that.

What makes this confusing is that Mesa named their amps solo, dual, and triple rectifier to denote the different power amp ratings when the dual rectifier feature itself has nothing to do with the power amp wattage.
      Last edited by cookiemonster2; 12-26-2006, 01:28 PM.

Comment

The main differences are this....

Single Recto - 50w, 2 channels, solid state diode rectifier

Dual Recto - 100w, 3 channels, can switch between solid state rectifier and tube rectifier, can switch between bold and spongy power variac

The best thing to do is go to the Mesa website and download the manuals for each one and read up on it.

Comment

thanks guys.

Comment

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have Carvin MTS that has "clipping diodes" ... over at the Carvin site, they say that this is where the distortion comes from. Is this the same thing as the solid state diodes in the single rectifiier?

BTW, I used to own a rect-o-verb. Very nice, smooth gain. The MTS sounds a bit different, but also very nice.
            My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

... over at the Carvin site, they say that this is where the distortion comes from. Is this the same thing as the solid state diodes in the single rectifiier?
              I'm not an amp guru by any means but afair NOT - Clipping diodes are used to obtain higher gain levels in some amps (this was popularized with JCM 900's iirc)

The guitar signal is overdriven/distorted in those diodes and later is colorized ( think that's the case with JMP-1 preamp) or distorted to a bigger degree with tube distortion.

Tube/Diode rectification - it has to do with the AC/DC conversion (right ampgurus ? ) inside the amp and with providing power to inside the amp.

Tube rectifiers were used in i.e. Old Fenders, is generally more vintage, slower in reaction , imho also less tight than Diode Rectifiers, SS Rectifiers - modern , faster , tighter

Btw. I wonder why they've made Diode Clipping instead of Diode Boosting - so it'd feel like a boosted amp - imho better and the general reaction of the amp becomes far better.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong

Comment

Originally posted by skarhead View Post
                Somebody correct me if I'm wrong
                Ok, I'll correct you

Clipping diodes DO NOT increase the gain at all. They clip off the top and bottom of the sine wave of the signal, increasing distortion. So they increase distortion, rather than gain, and by clipping the signal, they are limiting the gain.

The part about rectifying diodes is correct. They convert AC into DC that your amp can make use of.

Comment

N1CK, get the Rect-o-verb combo. I think it's the best of the Rectifier line until you get up to the Road King. I have one and that's saying a lot as I'm more of a fan of the old style boogie tones (Mark IIC+/Mark IV) than I am of the uber popular Dual Rectifier.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Originally posted by Robotechnology View Post
                    N1CK, get the Rect-o-verb combo. I think it's the best of the Rectifier line until you get up to the Road King. I have one and that's saying a lot as I'm more of a fan of the old style boogie tones (Mark IIC+/Mark IV) than I am of the uber popular Dual Rectifier.

Yea, I'm leaning this way. I plugged into the combo direct with a shop guitar and was able to dial in great sound and ample gain. I can't wait to return with my Soloist for a proper demo.

My old rack gear that remains is basic; an old Quadreverb, a BBE, a HUSH. I use a Dunlop wah and another Hush pedal on the floor.

Comment

I have a single rect head and sounds great.
                      I only wish the amp had effect loop on/off switch on footpedal like 3ch Dual Rect has.
                      I am shopping for a 3ch Dual head right now.

Comment

Hey Toru, good to read you my man. How are things?

Single rectos kick ass, I loved the one I had.
                        Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Originally posted by Robotechnology View Post
                          have you heard the Dual Rectifier Roadster? Its the more affordable version of the Road King and IMO is probably my personal favorite of the whole line just because it is about $500 less then a road king while still having four channels, a lot of flexibility, and two really wicked clean channels (a rectifier that can do jazz!) in addition to the two famous rectifier high gain channels.

Comment

My friend just got a Roadster head, he calls it the 'god of thunder', -he loves it and has owned a huge pile of amps. Some guys are saying it sounds even better than the road king.
                            Before he tried that he was telling me about the Recto-verb, I tried one and loved it, couldn't quite justify the price though.

Comment

Originally posted by sakeido View Post
                              have you heard the Dual Rectifier Roadster? Its the more affordable version of the Road King and IMO is probably my personal favorite of the whole line just because it is about $500 less then a road king while still having four channels, a lot of flexibility, and two really wicked clean channels (a rectifier that can do jazz!) in addition to the two famous rectifier high gain channels.

Yes, I have and I prefer the Road King (I owned a Series I head by the way).
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Working...
                              X