Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise supressor help

Hey all- so I hate my Boss NS-2.
    It doesn't supress any noise. Whenever I stop playing my guitars SQUEAL and its really not a sound I want coming out of my amp. I have the knob maxed out to no avail. My Setup goes guitar>wah>noise supressor>(in NS2 effect loop) MXR ZW Overdrive> MXR EVH Phase 90> MXR EVH117(then back to NS)> Marshall JCM 800 50 watt 2 channel combo
    thanks for any and all help
    cheers
    Chris
    My Guitars
    Hohner HW-200 (Natrual Grain)
    Slammer By Hamer XP-1 Standard (Wine Red)
    Kramer 1984 Custom (Bullseye Black)
    Squier Affinity Series P-Bass (Black)
    Epiphone Les Paul Classic (Black)
    Takamine EG531SSC (Black)
    Kramer Vanguard S-440S
    Kramer Proaxe Standard (Black Sparkle)
    Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom (Camo)
    Kramer F-1000 (Black)
    Ibanez RG-370 (Urban Digital Camo)

Try putting it first in your chain.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Mate are you sure it's a fault of the ns-2 and not the fault of your preamp ? more specifically the preamp tubes ?

My buddy has a 2204 which he runs sd-1 -> KFK eq -> ns2 -> JCM 800 and it's dead silent.

Comment

Originally posted by skarhead View Post
        Mate are you sure it's a fault of the ns-2 and not the fault of your preamp ? more specifically the preamp tubes ?

My buddy has a 2204 which he runs sd-1 -> KFK eq -> ns2 -> JCM 800 and it's dead silent.
        well it could be the preamp but shouldnt the noise supressor quiet that too? i know that if i run my same setup without the noise supressor, right into my OD first it squeals even worse so thats why i assumed it was the pedals. Do you think it would work better in the effect loop?
        My Guitars
        Kramer Vanguard S-440S
        Kramer F-1000 (Black)

Comment

If the squeal is as bad as you suggest, then it's going to overpower the NS-2 and most other gates or suppressors. This is on one guitar, or more than one? I have had pickups go microphonic, even after being wax-potted, that squealed like crazy beyond my Hush unit's ability to contain, and even high-output pickups in general will start to squeal if I get too close to my cab. It could be a pickup issue, a location issue, or a matter of backing off the pedal's drive or your guitar's volume.

There are many variables that can lead to squeal. If the squeal is as loud as your usual playing volume, the NS-2 isn't going to "know" what to cut out.
          sigpic

Comment

I've got an NS2, and it works pretty damn good both in front of the amp and in the amp's effects loop. Maybe try it with the 4-cable method so it's in the loop and also in front... it should be totally silent then.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I use a HUSH pedal on the floor as a limit or gate. One channel tight for heavy rhythm playing, one channel more open for clean parts, leads, everything else.

I also use a HUSH II unit in my rack at the end set with just enough filter and threshold set to remove hiss and noise generated by the electronics but still allow sound to sustain, echo, etc.

With the pedal on tight I can get super tight muted chords with even the highest gain. Mute the strings and the signal into the amp is zero, BUT the HUSH in the rack still allows the signal out to decay naturally. Switch the pedal off and the signal in is unchecked, but I still have the HUSH in the rack keeping unwanted noise out.

It's an awesome setup.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                I've got an NS2, and it works pretty damn good both in front of the amp and in the amp's effects loop. Maybe try it with the 4-cable method so it's in the loop and also in front... it should be totally silent then.
                that looks really interesting thanks- could you explain the blue connections a little better for me though?
                My Guitars
                Kramer Vanguard S-440S
                Kramer F-1000 (Black)

Comment

Run a cable from the effects loop send of your amp into the return of the NS2, then a cable from the output of the NS2 into the effects loop return on your amp.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                  X