This may be a VERY stupid question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This may be a VERY stupid question.

Alright, I've got a show with my acoustic project tomorrow, and there's a solo that really calls for some type of gain.

Now, I know I don't have their setups or techs, but on Coming Back To Life on the David Gilmour In Concert DVD as well as on Nothing Else Matters from Metallica S&M, they play the solos on acoustics with overdrive.

I'm going to be running an Ibanez acoustic/electric direct into the PA. Is adding an overdrive (Bad Monkey to be exact) going to just create uncontrollable feedback? Should I even attempt it? Go easy on me, I usually play electric
    Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Any chance you could get your hands on a modeler or a preamp with a direct out? I *think* that the Bad Monkey has one, in which case you should be OK, but I don't know how well it will sound on an A/E.
    sigpic

Comment

yeah, my other guitarist has a podxt live...you think that would work alright?

Comment

i would be careful of where you sit or stand while playing.
        i noticed that playing in front of the speakers usually generate alot of feedback.
        also, try a soundhole cover which might help control feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinistas View Post
          yeah, my other guitarist has a podxt live...you think that would work alright?
          I think it would work for making the most of a direct line to the PA is concerned. No idea what to expect in terms of tone. I guess if it was up to me, I'd try to find a hollowbody electric for such a purpose. Most acoustic gigs are only "acoustic" in appearance, as there is some sort of amplification going on. A hollowbody electric still gives a bit more of the "unplugged" vibe than a regular electric...I think.
          sigpic

Comment

well, I have access to the ibanez a/e, but not a hollowbody, you dig?

Comment

just keep the gain really low, and watch where you stand.

my a/e feeds back like a mother when I dial in anything more than just a little gain.
              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Cool, I'll keep that in mind, and soundcheck it before people get there.

Comment

What Venue are you playing?

Comment

The Skybar in Somerville, MA. Small place with a decent sound system. They USED to have the best soundguy in Boston, but I won't get into that. haha

Comment

just use a sound hole cover on your accoustic and you shouldn't have any problems.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                      X