Which amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which amp?

Looking for an amp that has a very nice clean channel and a gain channel that is non dry and articulate. I like primal fear's and dream evil's tones alot. Both of these bands have used Engl Savage 120s at one time. I play thrash, death, and classic metal.

For the money I discovered the Peavey JSX is the best thing out there..especially for what your looking for..

I play a Bogner Uberschall and a great Marshall rack with two stacks in stereo..I owned alot of high end gear thru the years..and we both play and like the same metal..

If I didn't own the Uberschall ..I would have a JSX!!!

There's a dedicated thread about it.. http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63311
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric_kv2 View Post
      Looking for an amp that has a very nice clean channel and a gain channel that is non dry and articulate. I like primal fear's and dream evil's tones alot. Both of these bands have used Engl Savage 120s at one time. I play thrash, death, and classic metal.
      Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier.
      Mesa Boogie Series 1 Stiletto with Hollywood mod
      Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
      Peavey 6505+
      You can't go wrong with a Savage 120 btw...

Comment

If your not playing out live, a Line6 Spider lll. you can get all of those tones without morgageing the house......(or have the cops come over while you have to have the tubes turn red before it sounds good)

p.s. before you start flaming, he asked for an opinion.......
        "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

eric_kv2 - you live in an area with some fantastic music stores. go forth and play them.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
            eric_kv2 - you live in an area with some fantastic music stores. go forth and play them.

Yes, go play them..all of them!!

Especially the Peavey JSX..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by 777 View Post
              If your not playing out live, a Line6 Spider lll. you can get all of those tones without morgageing the house......(or have the cops come over while you have to have the tubes turn red before it sounds good)

p.s. before you start flaming, he asked for an opinion.......
              I heard a guy demoing one for this young guy & his mum yesterday. The kid had already chosen a guitar and they were picking a small amp to go with it. The 15watt Spider III sounded very cool, particularly considering how cheap it is. Seemed like a lot of amp for AU$199 (about US$150)
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                For the money I discovered the Peavey JSX is the best thing out there..especially for what your looking for..

I play a Bogner Uberschall and a great Marshall rack with two stacks in stereo..I owned alot of high end gear thru the years..and we both play and like the same metal..

If I didn't own the Uberschall ..I would have a JSX!!!

There's a dedicated thread about it.. http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63311

Completely agree. I own a Diezel Herbert, and I am never getting rid of my JSX. Its that good.
                Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

I'd try out the Genz-Benz El Diablo. It's not for everyone, but I like it a lot. Crystal clean sounds all the way to above average levels of gain. Just don't expect a recto/krank level of gain
                  Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn View Post
                    Completely agree. I own a Diezel Herbert, and I am never getting rid of my JSX. Its that good.

Absolutely..and I own a Uberschall..and thinking of buying a JSX!!

Try the amps the John G recommended..they're good amps..

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier.
                    Mesa Boogie Series 1 Stiletto with Hollywood mod
                    Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
                    Peavey 6505+
                    You can't go wrong with a Savage 120 btw...

THEN, play the JSX!!

Comment

He did not specify head/cab or combo or weather he's playing out.. I recieved a Peavey XXX Super 40 combo for Christmas and this thing Rocks for a combo amp. It has 40 watts of tube power and all the gain anyone could possibly use without putting a pedal infront of it. It also has a line out so I can plug in a cab in paralell. I am not sure what she paid for it but she said it was a closeout?

Comment

S O L D A N O !!!!!!!! Well, maybe not for extreme heavy metal.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchfan6 View Post
                            S O L D A N O !!!!!!!! Well, maybe not for extreme heavy metal.

Pete mentioned their Avenger is the metal amp..and I thgink they're approx 1500 bucks new.

Not the other Soldanos..I had two..good old school tones VH, Scorpions etc..not death/thrash/modern power metal..with a stomp maybe.

Great amps..tho

Comment

Carvin X100B head, awsome cleans,sweet reverb and takes pedals well. Some had EL34`s(like mine) and some had 6L6`s. Jack.

Comment

Working...
                              X